AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Lufthansa has announced an award-chart devaluation that will come into effect May 9, 2019. The changes are widespread and affect flights operated by Lufthansa and Star Alliance partners. While the devaluation is a negative change, it is not as severe as some other devaluations we have seen.
Between North America and Europe
- First class round-trip fares go from 170,000 to 182,000 miles.
- Business class round-trip fares go from 105,000 to 112,000 miles.
Within North America on United Airlines
- Economy class round-trip fares go from 30,000 to 35,000 miles.
- Business class round-trip fares go from 55,000 to 60,000 miles.
Europe to Central Asia & Far East
- First class round-trip fares go from 210,000 to 222,000 miles.
- Business class round-trip fares go from 135,000 to 142,000 miles.
North America to South America
- Economy class round-trip fares go from 105,000 to 112,000 miles.
- Business class round-trip fares go from 170,000 to 182,000 miles.
Lufthansa Transfer Partners
Unfortunately Lufthansa has no major credit card transfer partners in the US. The only flexible points you can transfer to Lufthansa are Marriott Bonvoy points. Points transfer at a ratio of 3:1, and Marriott has a built-in bonus; whenever you transfer in increments 60,000 points, you will receive a 5,000-mile bonus for a total of 25,000 miles.
Remember Lufthansa allows family pooling of miles, which is a great way for families who may not travel a lot to significantly boost their mileage balance.
We are always disappointed with a devaluation. Fortunately, Lufthansa has given its customers advance notice. So if you were after a specific Lufthansa award, make sure to book before May 9, 2019, to lock in the current, cheaper pricing.
Source: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.