AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
- Earn 5 Free Nights after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Our Best Free Night Offer Yet.
- Earn 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Marriott and Chase have just announced a new sign-up bonus for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card. To be frank, it's one of the most lucrative hotel credit card sign-up bonuses that I've ever seen.
Right now, new applicants can receive five—count em' FIVE—Marriott Free Night Awards for nights worth up to 50,000 points each after spending $5,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. That's worth up to a quarter-million Bonvoy points when maximized!
To give you a better idea of the extraordinary value possible, we've put together a few examples of how you can use this excellent new offer.
- The Good and the Bad
- How to Redeem the 5-Night Marriott Boundless Welcome Offer
- Other Ongoing Card Benefits
- Application Restrictions
- Our Take
The Good and the Bad
For most people, there's no debating that this is by far the best sign-up bonus ever offered for this card. In fact, it's arguably one of the best sign-up bonuses we've ever seen for ANY hotel credit card. Five 50K Free Night Awards are worth as much as 250,000 Marriott Bonvoy points. That's 2.5 times the best sign-up bonus we had ever previously seen on this card. However, the sign-up bonus is only this valuable if you plan to use the points for Marriott hotel bookings.
The downside of a Free-Night bonus (instead of points) is that it limits your flexibility:
- Five Nights Max — No matter what, the maximum number of free nights you get is five. This differs from previous sign-up bonuses, which enabled applicants to stretch out their points for many free nights at low-category properties.
- Free Hotel Stays Only — Some people collect Bonvoy points to transfer to airline miles. Marriott has 40+ transfer partners, but with this bonus, that won’t be an option.
- One Year Expiration Date — Unlike points—which only expire after 24 months without qualifying activity—these Free Night Awards expire after 12 months after issuance. Considering the outlook for travel in the next year is still fairly bleak, a one-year expiration period could limit the value of these awards.
While some people may prefer points, there's no denying that five free night awards can provide incredible value.
How to Redeem the 5-Night Marriott Boundless Welcome Offer
New Marriott Boundless applicants earn a signup bonus of 5 Free Nights after spending $5,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. But what are the best ways to redeem five 50K free-night awards?
Thanks to Marriott's peak/off-peak award chart, we have a lot of options. You'll find the best value, however, when redeeming for the highest hotel category possible. The only limiting factor is availability.
Marriott Category 5 Properties (Off Peak, Standard, and Peak Pricing)
The easiest way to utilize five 50K certificates is for free nights at a category five (or lower) Marriott property. That's because even at peak award pricing, the value of these certificates still covers the award price. Consequently, you won't have any issue finding award availability.
One of our favorite category five Marriott properties is the JW Marriott Phu Quoc Emerald Bay Resort & Spa in Vietnam. This stunning beachside property was originally a 19th-century French university. Now, it's found new life as a sprawling resort offering picturesque views and fantastic Vietnamese cuisine.
A quick award search shows that you could redeem a 50K free night award literally any day that you'd like. That includes dates well into 2021 when we will hopefully be able to travel to Vietnam once again:
If you're looking for an excellent hotel stateside, another great option is The St. Anthony in San Antonio. It falls under the Marriott ‘Luxury Collection' banner, with beautifully appointed interiors, a central location, and ample access to vibrant nightlife and activities.
Again, you can't go wrong for availability here:
Marriott Category 6 Properties (Off Peak and Standard Pricing)
Category 6 Marriott properties offer even better value for your free night awards. While standard award pricing is 50,000 points, these properties often fetch over $500 per night. At that price, your five free night awards afford around $2,500 in value!
However, there is a catch. Unlike lower category hotels, you'll have to search for Standard or Off Peak award availability. You won't have to search long, though, as the majority of the year will still work.
Marriott Category 7 Property (Off-Peak Only)
Listen up, all you over-achievers. Without a doubt, the best value for 50K free night awards is at category seven properties. These aspirational hotels are often destinations in and of themselves—a fact that's typically reflected in their steep price tag.
The problem—as you may have guessed—is availability. The only nights you can use 50K free night awards at category seven properties are when Marriott prices them at Off-Peak level. That means that using 50K certificates at these properties involves the most amount of digging among all your redemption options.
There are a bunch of wonderful hotel options in this category. Some of my favorites include:
- The Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort
- The St. Regis Mexico City
- Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel
- The Royal Hawaiian, A Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki
To find Off-Peak award availability, your best bet is to use Marriott's ‘Flexible Dates' search function. When selecting your desired dates to search, click ‘Flexible Dates'. Now, you can search whole months at a time to find when the award price suits your free night awards.
Once you know how to look, you might be surprised at the amount of Off-Peak availability you'll find!
Other Ongoing Card Benefits
Beyond the incredible sign-up bonus, the Marriott Boundless also offers a slew of other benefits that make it worth keeping long-term:
- Earn 6x Marriott Bonvoy points per $1 spent at participating in Marriott hotels
- Earn 2x Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Receive one free night award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after your account anniversary
- Automatic Silver Elite status each account anniversary year. Earn Gold Elite status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year
- No foreign transaction fees
The application restrictions for the Marriott Boundless are a complicated maze of rules and restrictions which may confuse even the most seasoned points and miles fans. This includes Marriott-specific application rules that layer on top of Chase’s already restrictive 5/24 policy.
The Marriott Boundless is subject to 5/24. So, if you have opened 5 or more new personal credit card accounts in the previous 24 months, you won’t be approved for this card. You can get familiar with Chase’s application policy in our comprehensive 5/24 guide.
On top of the Chase specific rules, Marriott co-brand cards are subject to a complicated set of restrictions which change depending on the cards you already hold, have opened in the recent past, or received a welcome offer on in the previous 24 months. For a full breakdown of the application rules, check out our dedicated post covering Marriott’s application restrictions.
The welcome bonus of 5 Free Nights on the Marriott Boundless is an unbelievable deal. Full stop.
While some may prefer a point-based sign-up bonus, it's easy to get excited about five free nights—especially when they are worth up to 50K points each. It's almost like getting a full luxury vacation from one sign-up bonus! Plus, I love building entire trips out of aspirational hotel bookings, and that's precisely what I'll do when I get this card.
As card-issuing banks and loyalty programs continue to battle for our business, let's hope that this raised offer is a sign of things to come.
Will five free nights convince you to apply for the Marriott Boundless?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.