AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Marriott Bonvoy's latest global promotion is now live, and it's certainly worth registering for. Through October 18, 2020, Marriott Bonvoy members can earn 2,500 bonus points on every paid stay—without limits. Plus, you'll receive a one time 5,000-point bonus after your third paid stay.
Marriott Promotion Offer Terms
- Earn 2,500 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after every stay
- Earn a one-time 5,000-point bonus after your third stay
- Marriott Bonvoy members must register here before booking for stays to qualify
- Stays must occur during the promotional period: August 13, 2020 – October 18, 2020
- Award nights are not eligible, only paid stays
- One room per hotel will earn bonus points (booking multiple rooms will not qualify for multiple bonuses)
- A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at any hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity
- There is no limit to the number of bonus points you can earn during this promotion
How valuable is this promotion?
To determine how valuable these bonuses are, I'll first turn to my baseline Bonvoy point valuation of 0.7¢ per point. At this rate, 2,500 points are worth ~$17.50, and 5,000 points are worth ~$35. That means that after three stays, registered members will earn a rebate of around $23.33 per stay.
This value will vary depending on how you value Bonvoy points. If you typically manage to get a higher value out of your Bonvoy points than 0.7¢ each, this promotion could be even more lucrative.
However, the overall value of this promotion ultimately comes down to the nature of your Marriott stays. Since the bonus is a fixed amount (regardless of hotel price or length of stay), short, in-expensive stays are naturally the sweet spot. The longer your stays and the higher the rate, the less the bonuses will move the needle.
Other Bonvoy earning opportunities
Fans of Marriott Bonvoy have a lot going for them right now, especially when it comes to earning points and co-branded credit cards.
First, we're currently seeing some of the highest-ever sign-up bonuses on Chase Marriott Bonvoy credit cards. The Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card (review) is currently offering 100,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Limited Time Offer! Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy points and get Free Night Stays faster.
- 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
If you'd prefer a no-annual-fee card, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card is currently offering 50,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
Marriott credit card spending promotions
Cardholders can currently earn more points for regular spending with those Bonvoy co-branded cards. Through September 15, 2020, eligible Chase Bonvoy cards can earn 10X points at gas stations at restaurants up to $3,500 in combined spending.
Simultaneously, eligible Amex Bonvoy cards can earn 10X points on gas stations, restaurants, and Marriott purchases up to $7,500 in each category through October 31, 2020. Both of these promotional rates require registration or activation, so be sure to register first.
The last promotion like this we saw from Marriott offered 2,000 bonus points after your second stay. This promotion beats that in almost every way—especially since it dropped the annoying “second stay” stipulation.
Earning 2,500 bonus points is pretty nice if you were planning a trip anyway. As far as booking more stays with Marriott in pursuit of the bonus, I don't think it's worth it. However, the value there ultimately comes down to how you value Bonvoy points and the nature of your stays.
Even if you currently have no plans to stay at a Marriott property, you should register for this promotion anyway. It's free and it only takes a couple of seconds. That way, you'll earn the bonus for any unexpected stays without having to remember to come back.
Are 2,500 bonus Bonvoy points enough to make you change your plans?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.