AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card and Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Many hotel loyalty programs allow members to transfer points to partner airlines. However, most of those options typically provide awful value for your points. One key exception is Marriott Bonvoy. With Marriott, you can transfer Marriott points to 40 airlines at a respectable 3:1 transfer ratio.
Plus, you'll (generally) receive a 5,000-mile bonus when transferring at least 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points at one time. That nets you a total of 25,000 miles for most frequent flyer programs — or 30,000 United miles thanks to Marriott's preferred partnership with United. Here's what you need to know about how to transfer Marriott points to airlines.
- Marriott Bonvoy Airline Transfer Partners
- Bonus Miles When You Transfer 60,000+ Marriott Bonvoy Points to Select Airline Partners
- The Best Marriott Airline Transfer Partners
- The Fastest Way to Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
- Final Thoughts
Marriott Bonvoy Airline Transfer Partners
Marriott partners with 40 airlines — many more than any other transferable points program. Of the 40 partners, points transfer to 39 airlines at a 3:1 transfer ratio. The only exception is Air New Zealand.
Points transfer to Air New Zealand at 200:1 with 25 bonus Airpoints when you transfer at least 60K points at one time. That means 60,000 Bonvoy points will only get you 325 Airpoints — which are redeemable for NZ$1 per point.
Check out the full list of transfer partners below.
|Frequent Flyer Program||Transfer Ratio|
|Bonus for transferring|
|Aegean Airlines Miles+Bonus||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Aer Lingus AerClub||3:1||5,000 Avios|
|Aeromexico Rewards||3:1||5,000 points|
|Air Canada Aeroplan||3:1||5,000 points|
|Air China PhoenixMiles||3:1|
|Air France/KLM Flying Blue||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Air New Zealand AirPoints||200:1||25 Airpoints|
|Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan||3:1||5,000 miles|
|All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club||3:1||5,000 miles|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||3:1||n/a|
|Asiana Airlines Asiana Club||3:1||5,000 miles|
|British Airways Executive Club||3:1||5,000 Avios|
|Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||3:1||5,000 miles|
|China Southern Airlines Sky Pearl Club||3:1|
|Copa Airlines ConnectMiles||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Emirates Skywards||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Etihad Airways Etihad Guest||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Frontier Airlines Miles||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Hainan Airlines Fortune Wings Club||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Iberia Plus||3:1||5,000 Avios|
|InterMiles (formerly Jet Airways JetPrivilege)||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Japan Airlines JAL Mileage Bank||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Korean Air SKYPASS||3:1||n/a|
|LATAM Airlines LATAM Pass||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Multiplus Fidelidade LATAM Pass||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||3:1||5,000 points|
|Qatar Airways Privilege Club||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Saudia Alfursan||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards||3:1||5,000 points|
|TAP Air Portugal Miles&Go||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Thai Airways International Royal Orchid Plus||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles||3:1||5,000 miles|
|United MileagePlus||3:1||10,000 miles|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||3:1||5,000 points|
|Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer||3:1||5,000 miles|
|Vueling Club||3:1||5,000 Avios|
Bonus Miles When You Transfer 60,000+ Marriott Bonvoy Points to Select Airline Partners
Generally speaking, Marriott adds 5,000 bonus airline miles to the transfer when you transfer Marriott points to airlines in multiples of 60,000 Bonvoy points. This applies to 35 of the 40 transfer partners. (See details of the exceptions below.)
For instance, if you transfer 60,000 Bonvoy points to ANA Mileage Club, Marriott credits an extra 5,000 bonus miles to your ANA account at the time of transfer, netting a total of 25,000 miles.
Frustratingly, this bonus won't show up when you enter the number of Marriott points you want to transfer in the transfer form. Instead, the bonus will be added after the transfer is submitted.
Marriott lets members transfer a maximum of 240,000 points per day. That means you can receive up to 20,000 bonus miles each day via airline partner transfers. Transfer 240,000 Bonvoy points, and you’ll receive 100,000 airline miles.
The general rule is that you'll get 5,000 bonus miles for transferring 60,000+ Marriott points. However, there are both good and bad exceptions to that general rule.
Transfer Marriott Points to United With an Enhanced Bonus
In March 2023, Marriott changed how transfers to United work. Previously, travelers received a 10% bonus on all transfers to United. Now, travelers can transfer Marriott points to United at a 3:1 transfer ratio — like almost all other airlines.
However, you'll now get 10,000 bonus United miles when you transfer at least 60,000 Bonvoy points at one time. That means you will receive a total of 30,000 United MileagePlus miles when you transfer 60,000 Bonvoy points. That's up to a 50% bonus if you maximize this transfer bonus.
- Base transfer: 60,000 points = 20,000 United miles
- Bonus: 10,000 United miles
- Total: 30,000 United miles
Airlines With No Bonus When You Transfer 60,000+ Marriott Points
In late 2022, Marriott eliminated the 5,000-mile bonus when you transfer Marriott points to four airline mileage programs:
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- Delta SkyMiles
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Korean Air SKYPASS
With these programs, you'll transfer Bonvoy points at a 3:1 transfer ratio without any bonus.
Key Terms to Transfer Marriott Points
- The names must match on your Marriott Bonvoy and frequent flyer account.
- Minimum transfer requirement is 3,000 Bonvoy points.
- After you meet the 3,000-point minimum, you can transfer points in increments of 3 Bonvoy points. That makes transferring Marriott points an ideal solution when you need to top off an account with just the right amount of miles.
- Transfer times for Marriott point transfers vary. Check our mile transfer times page for the latest data points.
If you want to know as soon as the transfer posts, you can use Balance Watch to get an alert as soon as your balance changes. When an AwardWallet member tracks a transfer through Balance Watch, we update our mile transfer times page with that data point. This lets other travelers see how long it takes on average for each program.
Make sure that you understand the miles expiration policy of the airline to which you're transferring Bonvoy points. You should generally have an immediate use of the miles anytime you're transferring points. However, you might end up needing to cancel an award flight, so check the airline's policy.
The Best Marriott Airline Transfer Partners
The five transfer partners at the top of our list are United MileagePlus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Japan Airlines Mileage Bank, American Airlines AAdvantage, and British Airways Executive Club. Here's a breakdown of each:
We believe that United is the best transfer partner of the big three U.S. legacy carriers. And that's solely due to the enhanced transfer bonus. Getting 30,000 United miles for every 60,000 Marriott points transferred means you effectively get up to a 2:1 transfer ratio when you transfer Marriott points to United.
It's probably not worth transferring Marriott points to United for dynamically-priced domestic flights. However, there are some great United MileagePlus sweet spots that let you really stretch United miles on award flights to Hawaii and on international flights — especially if you have access to additional United award availability.
For example, fly on one of the longest domestic U.S. flights nonstop from Newark to Honolulu for 45,000 United miles round-trip. That requires a transfer of 105,000 Marriott points.
When there's saver award availability, you can fly from the U.S. to Europe for just:
- Economy: 30,000 United miles = 60,000 Bonvoy points
- Premium Economy: 45,000 United miles = 105,000 Bonvoy points
- Business Class: 60,000 United miles = 120,000 Bonvoy points
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Alaska Airlines operates a modest network of flights throughout the Americas. However, Alaska joined the Oneworld Alliance in 2021. Now, Mileage Plan members can earn and redeem their miles across two dozen airline partners.
Alaska removed its partner-specific award charts in January 2023. But, the program charges low fees, and there are still some valuable Alaska Mileage Plan sweet spots. Plus, you can often add a free stopover when redeeming Alaska miles for a one-way award flight. In short, Alaska offers some of the best redemption options of any frequent flyer program in the world.
The best options for Alaska are often aspirational redemptions. Think of first-class long-haul Cathay Pacific awards to Asia — with a free stopover in both directions possible on most itineraries.
Or have Australia and New Zealand been on your list? Mileage Plan members can book Qantas first class to Australia and New Zealand for 140,000 miles roundtrip. Award space can be elusive on Qantas. However, once secured, you are flying one of the best first-class products to one of the best destinations in the world.
Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
There is no easy way to accumulate miles on Japan Airlines other than transferring them from Marriott. So, one of the best ways of accumulating JAL Mileage Bank miles is to transfer Marriott Bonvoy points.
The real value in JAL is the ability to build itineraries with multiple stopovers and an open jaw in one award ticket. You will pay hefty taxes and fees on some Oneworld partners, but Qatar and American Airlines all have small fees for select flights.
You can see all the taxes and fees on JAL's website, alongside the JAL award chart for partners. Additionally, outside of partners within Oneworld, JAL provides access to awards with Emirates at reasonable redemption rates.
American Airlines AAdvantage
If you're flexible, American AAdvantage can offer travelers some heavily discounted redemption options. For example, a search for flights from Washington, D.C. to San Francisco in May found award rates as low as 8.5k for a one-way ticket. The downside of American? Other dates on the same route can cost as much as 50,000 miles each way (and both are in Main Cabin).
American Airlines is also a member of the Oneworld alliance. Plus, there are plenty of sweet spots in the American AAdvantage program that you can use for domestic and international flights. Transfers from Marriott to AAdvantage can be a great way to top off your mileage account and explore the world.
British Airways Executive Club
British Airways is a distance-based program. This means short-haul flights with Avios are a great way of redeeming Marriott points. Short hops between cities in popular destinations in Europe, Japan, and Australia cost just 4,500 points in coach, presenting top value when compared to the cash price of tickets.
Short-haul flights within North America price out at 7,500 Avios one-way, and non-stop economy flights from the West Coast to Hawaii will set you back only 13,000 points each way flying American or Alaska. Check out our post on the best ways to redeem Avios in the Americas for more ideas.
Runner Up: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer offers some of the most sought-after and aspirational redemptions in award travel. Is anyone else dreaming about the Suites Class featured on their Airbus A380? Plus, you can often get value from Singapore Airlines Spontaneous Escapes.
Depending on your travel plans, redeeming Singapore KrisFlyer miles may provide an even better cent-per-point value for transferring Bonvoy points than the options noted above. However, it's easy to earn KrisFlyer miles by transferring rewards from other programs, including:
The Fastest Way to Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
While there are plenty of ways to earn Marriott Bonvoy points, the fastest way for most points enthusiasts to earn points is via Marriott credit cards.
Marriott's co-brand card lineup recently underwent an overhaul. New cards have been added to the Marriott stable plus a shakeup of earning rates and benefits on existing cards. The lineup of cards earning Marriott Bonvoy points open to new applications includes:
Marriott Bonvoy Personal Cards
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card
- Earn 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 6X Marriott Bonvoy® points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy.
- Earn 4X points at restaurants worldwide and U.S. supermarkets (on up to $15,000 in combined purchases at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets per calendar year, then 2X points).
- Earn 2X points on all other eligible purchases.
- 1K Bonus Points Per Stay: Earn 1,000 Marriott Bonvoy® bonus points per paid eligible stay booked directly with Marriott for properties participating in Marriott Bonvoy.
- With complimentary Gold Elites status, earn up to 2.5X points from Marriott Bonvoy® on eligible hotel purchases with the 25% Bonus Points on stays benefit.
- Marriott Bonvoy Bevy Free Night Award: Earn 1 Free Night Award after spending $15,000 on eligible purchases on your Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ Card in a calendar year. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy® points) at a hotel participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- 15 Elite Night Credits: Each calendar year with your Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express Card® you can receive 15 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy® Elite status. Limitations apply per Marriott Bonvoy member account. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.
- Plan It® is a payment option that lets you split up purchases of $100 or more into equal monthly installments with a fixed fee. Plus, you'll still earn rewards the way you usually do.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6X points on purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- 4X points on up to $15,000 in combined purchases per year at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets
- 2X points on all other eligible purchases
- Earn 95,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- $300 Brilliant Dining Credit: Each calendar year, get up to $300 (up to $25 per month) in statement credits for eligible purchases made on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card at restaurants worldwide.
- With Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status, you can receive room upgrades, including enhanced views or suites, when available at select properties and booked with a Qualifying Rate.
- Earn 6X Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. 3X points at restaurants worldwide and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points on all other eligible purchases.
- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Each calendar year after spending $60,000 on eligible purchases on your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, you will be eligible to select a Brilliant Earned Choice Award benefit. You can only earn one Earned Choice Award per calendar year. See https://www.choice-benefit.marriott.com/brilliant for Award options.
- $100 Marriott Bonvoy Property Credit: Enjoy your stay. Receive up to a $100 property credit for qualifying charges at The Ritz-Carlton® or St. Regis® when you book direct using a special rate for a two-night minimum stay using your Card.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®: Receive either a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or a statement credit every 4.5 years after you apply for a five-year membership for TSA PreCheck® (up to $85 through a TSA PreCheck official enrollment provider) and pay the application fee with your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Each calendar year with your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card you can receive 25 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy® Elite status. Limitations apply per Marriott Bonvoy® member account. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.
- Enroll in Priority Pass™ Select, which offers unlimited access to over 1,200 lounges in over 130 countries, regardless of which carrier or class you are flying. This allows you to relax before or between flights. You can enjoy snacks, drinks, and internet access in a quiet, comfortable location.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- With Cell Phone Protection, you can be reimbursed, the lesser of, your repair or replacement costs following damage, such as a cracked screen, or theft for a maximum of $800 per claim when your cell phone line is listed on a wireless bill and the prior month's wireless bill was paid by an Eligible Card Account. A $50 deductible will apply to each approved claim with a limit of 2 approved claims per 12-month period. Additional terms and conditions apply. Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
- $650 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6X points on purchases at Marriott Properties
- 3X points at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines
- 2X points on all other eligible purchases
Marriott Bonvoy Business Card
- Welcome Offer: Earn three Free Night Awards after you use your new Card to make $6,000 in eligible purchases within the first 6 months of Card Membership. Redemption level up to 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy® points for each bonus Free Night Award, at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly through Marriott. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- 6x Marriott Bonvoy points on each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy® program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy® points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card.
- Terms apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6x Marriott Bonvoy points on each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program
- 4x Marriott Bonvoy points on each dollar of eligible purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x Marriott Bonvoy points per dollar on all other eligible purchases
Marriott's transfer partners are a valuable part of the Bonvoy program. The majority of airlines convert at a 3:1 ratio. However, you can improve that rate to 2:1 when you transfer 60,000 Marriott points to United.
Marriot Bonvoy remains one of the major transferrable point programs thanks to the sheer number of transfer partners and the additional 5,000 bonus miles earned for every transfer of 60,000 points (for most airline partners).
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card (Rates & Fees), Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees), and Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.