AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Marriott Bonvoy points expire after 24 months without qualifying activity.
What Activities Keep a Marriott Bonvoy Account Active?
The following activities are considered a qualifying activity and will keep your account active.
- Make a paid (or redemption) stay at any participating hotels worldwide
- Redeem points
- Use your Marriott co-brand card for purchases at least every 24 months
- Earn points with a program partner
- Purchase points
- Hold a qualifying meeting or event, including earning points through the Rewarding Events Program
- Convert points to airline miles or airline miles to points
What Activities Do Not Keep a Marriott Bonvoy Account Active?
Conversely, these activities are not considered a qualifying activity and will not keep your Marriott Bonvoy account active:
- Gifting or transferring points
- Receiving points as a gift or transfer
- Earning points through social media programs/promotions, such as #MRPoints
- Registering for a promotion
- Marriott Vacation Club owners staying during their ownership stay, even if earning Elite credit
Fortunately, like other hotel programs, there are many ways to keep a Marriott Bonvoy account active that require very little cost, time, or effort.
Full details on point expiration can be found at Marriott.com (section 1.6.d.).
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.