AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, Marriott Bonvoy points do expire if you don’t have any activity on your Marriott Bonvoy account for a 24-month period. Per the Marriott terms and condition page (1.6.d):
“Members must remain active in the Loyalty Program to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member Account is inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months, that Member Account will forfeit all accumulated Points.”
To help with the disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, Marriott suspended its points expiration like many other loyalty programs. Any points that were due to expire have now been granted a reprieve through December 31, 2022.
Which Activities Keep Your Marriott Points From Expiring
There is a wide range of activities that will keep your account active and your points alive, including:
- Make a paid stay at a Marriott Bonvoy property.
- Earn Marriott points when you use Uber or Uber Eats.
- Earn points for dining out through Marriott's Eat Around Town — including new member bonus offers.
- Transfer your points to an airline program
- Earn points when you rent a car with Hertz.
- Earn points when you book and take a cruise.
- Purchase Marriott Bonvoy points
- Earn points for holding a qualifying meeting or event, including earning points through the Rewarding Events Program
One of the simplest ways for Marriott loyalists to keep their account active is through everyday spending on one of Marriot’s many co-branded credit cards, including:
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
Activities That Do Not Keep Your Marriott Bonvoy Account Active
According to the Marriott Bonvoy terms and conditions, not all activities on your account will keep it active. The list includes (but is not limited to) the following activities.
- Gifting or transferring points.
- Receiving points as a gift.
- Earning points through social media programs/promotions
- Registering for a promotion
Marriott Bonvoy is one of the best hotel loyalty programs out there. It arguably has one of the most flexible points currencies around, with a huge range of airline transfer partners as well as the ability to redeem your points for Marriott stays. Although Marriott points do expire from inactivity, there is plenty of options open to you to keep your Marriott Bonvoy points active.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.