AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card and Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Marriott Bonvoy points expire if you don’t have any activity on your Marriott Bonvoy account for a 24-month period. Per the Marriott terms and conditions page (section 1.6.d):
“Members must remain active in the Loyalty Program to retain Points they accumulate. If a Member Account is inactive for twenty-four (24) consecutive months, that Member Account will forfeit all accumulated Points.”
Which Activities Keep Your Marriott Points From Expiring?
There is a wide range of activities that will keep your Marriott Bonvoy account active and your points alive, including:
- Make a paid stay at a Marriott Bonvoy property.
- Earn Marriott points when you use Uber or Uber Eats.
- Earn points for dining out through Marriott's Eat Around Town — including new member bonus offers.
- Redeem points for a reward stay.
- Transfer your points to any of Marriott's airline transfer partners
- Earn points when you rent a car with Hertz.
- Earn points when you book and take a cruise.
- Purchase Marriott Bonvoy points
- Earn points for holding a qualifying meeting or event, including earning points through the Rewarding Events Program
One of the simplest ways for Marriott loyalists to keep their account active is by earning Marriott points with a co-brand credit card, including:
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Card
Activities That Do Not Keep Your Marriott Bonvoy Account Active
According to the Marriott Bonvoy terms and conditions, not all activities on your account will keep it active. The list includes (but is not limited to) the following activities.
- Gifting or transferring points.
- Receiving points as a gift or a transfer.
- Earning points through social media programs/promotions
- Registering for a promotion
Marriott Bonvoy is one of the best hotel loyalty programs out there. It arguably has one of the most flexible points currencies around, with a huge range of airline transfer partners as well as the ability to redeem your points for Marriott stays. Although Marriott points do expire due to inactivity, there are plenty of options to keep your Marriott Bonvoy points active.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.