AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
With few exceptions, the points, miles, and rewards associated with loyalty/rewards programs expire at some point. The key is to know the policies and make sure you're never caught losing out on your hard-earned rewards. First and foremost, make sure you're keeping track of all of your rewards with AwardWallet; we'll let you know if something is going to expire well in advance of that expiration.
We've put together this post to have a single place you can come to find the expiration policies of major loyalty/rewards programs, and added what we think is the easiest way of preventing your miles from expiring in each program. For more details on each expiration policy and additional ways of preventing rewards from expiring, click through to the individual posts. If we've missed a program you would like to see included in the list, get in touch via the comments and we'll do our best to get it added to the post.
Airline Frequent Flyer Program Expiration Policies
- Alaska Airlines – Earn Mileage Plan miles at over 800 stores in the Alaska Shopping Portal.
- American Airlines – Leave a comment on any AwardWallet post and receive 5 AAdvantage miles.
- British Airways – Transfer points from Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, or SPG.
- Delta Air Lines – Miles don't expire!
- Hawaiian Airlines – Make a purchase using Hawaiian Airlines MileFinder.
- United Airlines – Miles don't expire!
- JetBlue – Points don't expire!
- Singapore Airlines – Miles expire 36 months after accrual, you must pay to extend the expiration date.
- Southwest Airlines – Miles don't expire!
Hotel Rewards Expiration Policies
- Best Western Rewards – Points don't expire!
- Choice Privileges – Transfer points from Amex Membership Rewards.
- Hilton Honors – Make a $1 purchase on Amazon (500 Honors points).
- IHG Rewards Club – Complete your first survey with Opinion Check for 1,000 points.
- Le Club AccorHotels – Must complete a stay to extend points.
- Marriott Rewards – Buy 1,000 Marriott Rewards points for $12.50.
- Radisson Rewards Points – Transfer points to/from a friend or family member.
- World of Hyatt – Transfer points from Ultimate Rewards.
Car Rental Rewards Expiration Policies
- Hertz – Points do not expire as long as you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 24 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards Point was either earned or redeemed on a rental.
- National – Rental credits do not expire. Once you earn enough credits for a free day, the free day is valid through December 31st of the following year.
- Avis – Points will remain active for five years from when they were earned as long as the customer is active. Avis Preferred member is considered “Inactive” if, during a 12-month period you have not completed an eligible rental at a participating Avis location, earned or redeemed any Avis Preferred Points, or your account has been canceled.
Bank Rewards Expiration Policies
- American Express Membership Rewards – Points don't expire as long as you have an active Membership Rewards earning credit card.
- Chase Ultimate Rewards – Points don't expire as long as you have an active Ultimate Rewards earning credit card.
- Citi ThankYou Points – As long as you have an active ThankYou Rewards earning credit card you're safe. However, shared points expire 90 days after transfer.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.