AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, your Iberia Avios will expire if you do not earn or spend Avios on your account for 36 months. Per the Iberia Terms and Conditions:
“Regulation stipulates that you earn or spend Avios at least once every 36 months to make sure the entire Avios balance doesn't expire.”
Earning & Using Avios
- Earn Avios for flights with Iberia, British Airways, or Aer Lingus.
- You also can earn Avios for flights with Oneworld partners.
- Earn Avios for your next car rental with Avis and Budget.
- Credit your next hotel stay to earn Avios via a host of partners, including Booking.com, IHG, Marriott Bonvoy, and Best Western.
- Earn Avios for everyday purchases on your Iberia Visa Signature® Card.
- Collect Avios when you dine with The Fork or Club Del Vino.
- Earn Avios when you take the Heathrow Express in the United Kingdom.
- Collect Avios with an Economist subscription or when you transfer money with Midpoint.
- Redeem your Avios for Iberia or Oneworld partner awards.
- Spend your Avios with a host of other partners, including hotels, car rental and more.
One thing Iberia makes clear is that Avios transferred to your account do not count towards keeping your points alive, so this won't alter the date on which your miles expire. Per the terms and conditions:
“Issuing or receiving Avios transferred to you is not considered to be an activity.”
Once your Avios have expired, they can not be reinstated.
Redeeming Your Avios Wisely
With Iberia, British Airways, and Aer Lingus all being part of the same company — IAG (International Airlines Group) — you have lots of opportunities to leverage Avios earned with one program for excellent value via another.
You can transfer Avios between British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia virtually, instantaneously, and at a ratio of 1:1. With some proper planning, you can take advantage of this to avoid the dreaded BA fuel surcharges. Using your Avios to fly to Europe on Iberia or Aer Lingus can save a fortune in fuel surcharges.
Even though Iberia is not one of the biggest airlines globally, it is a Oneworld member and shares a points currency with British Airways and Aer Lingus — and soon Qatar. This brings a whole host of benefits and perks. It also makes the Iberia Plus program a great option when looking to maximize your Avios' value. With multiple ways to earn or use your Iberia Avios, there is no reason any of your Avios should ever expire.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.