AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. AwardWallet is an American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and CreditCards.com advertising partner. This content is not provided by any bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of the issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer. Here's our complete Advertiser Policy.
The information related to Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card has been collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
Yes, Southwest Rapid Rewards expire if you have if you have no qualifying earning activity on your Southwest Rapid Rewards account in a 24-month period. Full terms at Southwest.com and which activities are considered “qualifying.”
Points will remain active as long as you have at least one qualifying earning activity every 24 months. Qualifying earning activities include: 1) completed travel on Southwest® qualifying flights, (2) points earned from our Rapid Rewards Partners and posted to Member’s account prior to the expiration date, (3) points purchased through Southwest.com, and (4) gifted/transferred/donated points received and claimed by the recipient. Gifted/Transferred/Donated points are a Qualifying Activity for the recipient only. Examples of activities that do not count as Qualifying Activities include but are not limited to: cancelled trips; nonrevenue travel such as Reward or Companion Pass travel; for the donating Member, points donated by a Member to a charity; and other travel such as charter flights, service-charged, reduce-rate, trade out, extra seat, and paper tickets.
A critical point worth noting is that unlike other programs, including British Airways’ Avios and Starwood Preferred Guest who have similar policies, redeeming your Rapid Rewards Points does not count as a qualifying activity to prevent your points from expiring. The only activity that counts with Southwest is earning. So, what options do you have to Earn Southwest Rapid Rewards points and keep your account live?
How Can You Earn Southwest Rapid Rewards?
Earning Southwest Rapid Rewards is easier than you might think. You can easily earn Rapid Rewards points in the following ways:
- Fly with Southwest and be sure to include your Rapid Rewards number on your ticket/booking
- Join Rapid Rewards Dining, and you will earn points the next time you eat out
- If you're shopping online click through the Rapid Rewards Shopping portal, to pick up some points for everyday spending while extending the life of your points 24 months
- When it’s time to send that special someone flowers, use Southwest and earn points at the same time
- Consider getting one of the three Southwest co-branded credit cards from Chase which include:
- Purchase Rapid Rewards points, which will count as earning and prevent your points from expiring
- Earn Southwest points by using the Super Shuttle the next time you head to the airport
- Earn Points with one of Southwest’s Hotel partners, which include many big names such as Starwood, Best Western, and Hyatt.
- Earn points through e-Miles or Valued Opinions
- Share opinions through eRewards to earn points
- Convert your Thanks Again points to Southwest Rapid Rewards
With so many options to keep your points alive there is no reason you should lose, and let your account expire.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.