AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Points do not expire as long as your account remains open. However, if you close your account, then all your points will be lost. This new policy came into force in October 2019. Prior to that points used to expire if you had 24-months of inactivity.
How You Can Earn Southwest Rapid Rewards
You no longer need to generate earning activity to avoid point expiration. Now, you can just focus on earning points to get free Southwest flights. You can earn Rapid Rewards points in the following ways:
- Fly with Southwest and be sure to include your Rapid Rewards number in your ticket/booking
- Transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Join Rapid Rewards Dining and earn points the next time you eat out
- Click through the Rapid Rewards Shopping portal to earn points for everyday spending
- When it’s time to send that special someone flowers, buy though Southwest and earn points at the same time
- Consider getting one of the Southwest co-branded credit cards from Chase which include:
- Purchase Rapid Rewards points
- Earn Points with one of Southwest’s hotel partners—which include many big names such as Marriott, Best Western, Radisson, and Hyatt
- Earn points through by taking a survey
- Share opinions through eRewards to earn points
- Earn points when you take out Emergency Assistance Insurance
- Earn points when you purchase wine from Laithwaiteswine.com
- Earn 40,000 points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Plus, earn 3X points on dining, including takeout and eligible delivery services, for the first year.
- 7,500 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary each year.
- $75 Southwest® travel credit each year.
- 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available.
- 20% back on inflight drinks and WiFi.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest® purchases.
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- 2X points per $1 spent on all Southwest® purchases and Rapid Rewards® Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases
- 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases
Southwest is one of the easiest programs in the points and miles world. The program is straightforward, with little to worry about in the small print. Also, the program offers excellent value—from the famous Companion Pass to great redemption options.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.