AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Citi uses a complex expiration policy depending on what kind of card you hold. As a general rule for holders of most cards, your Citi ThankYou points do not expire as long as your account stays open and is not downgraded to a non-ThankYou points-earning card.
If you close or downgrade your account — or if Citi closes your account due to inactivity — then you have 60 days to use your points. After 60 days, your Citi ThankYou points will expire.
Cards The Policy Applies to
Citi ThankYou cards that are subject to this expiration policy includes the following Citi cards:
- AT&T Access Card from Citi
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Citi Premier® Card
- Citi Rewards+® Card
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students
- Citi Chairman® Card
What to do when your Citi account is closed or downgraded
If you close your account — or it's closed by Citi — your options are somewhat limited. You have 60 days to use your points. You can transfer points to another Citi account, but those points will still expire in 60 days.
Instead, you'll want to redeem your ThankYou points for any of the following:
- Transfer your points to one of Citi's ThankYou travel partners.
- Redeem your points for flights, hotels, and more directly through the Citi Travel portal.
- You can pay some of your bills online using Citi ThankYou points.
- Use your points as a statement credit towards recent purchases on a wide range of goods and services — including utility bills, grocery entertainment, and more.
- Purchase gift cards
While there are multiple options available, by far, the best is transferring them to a travel partner. Doing so will give you the best chance to leverage your points for their maximum value. You can check out our comprehensive guide to Citi ThankYou transfer partners to find out how to best leverage your points.
- 80,000 point signup bonus worth $800 towards airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center, or potentially much more when transferred to airline partners
- 3X points per $1 on airfare and hotels and at gas stations, restaurants, and supermarkets
- Annual Hotel Benefit: Save $100 off a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) when you book through ThankYou.com
- No foreign transaction fees
- $95 annual fee
- 3X points per $1 spent on airfare, hotels, and at gas stations
- 3X points per $1 spent on dining at restaurants, including cafes, bars and lounges
- 3X points per $1 spent at supermarkets
- 1X points per $1 spent on all other purchases
The Citi ThankYou program is one of the top programs in the US. The program is comprehensive and easy to use, with few pitfalls in the small print. So, it's easy for consumers to use the program and maximize the value of their points.
The value of the program is boosted by the sheer number of cards on offer that earn Citi ThankYou points — including the $0 annual-fee Citi Rewards+ card. With so many options, there is a strategy for everyone to use ThankYou points.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.