AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Aeroplan miles expire if the Aeroplan member has not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 18 consecutive months. The good news is there are several easy ways to prevent your miles from expiring—which we cover below.
The 18-month period is the 18 consecutive months from the date of your last transaction. So, if your last transaction was on April 1 of a given year, all your miles will be valid through October 1 of the following year.
Note that this new policy was adopted on July 20, 2020. Under the previous policy, Aeroplan miles expired after 12 months of inactivity.
How To Prevent Your Miles From Expiring
- Earn Miles
- Purchase something with your Aeroplan-affiliated credit card
- Shop at any Aeroplan partner and show or swipe your Aeroplan card
- Enter your Aeroplan number and shop at any of the 150+ online partners via the Aeroplan eStore
- Credit miles earned from an Air Canada or Star Alliance flight
- Transfer points from an Aeroplan bank partner such as American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time) or Capital One Miles (4:3 ratio, instant transfer time)
- Transfer points from an Aeroplan hotel partner like Marriott Rewards
- Redeem Miles
Exceptions to the Mileage Expiration Policy
The mileage expiry policy is waived under certain circumstances including:
- Primary cardmembers of an Aeroplan-affiliated credit card — such as the TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite, TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite Privilege Card, TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum, and TD® Aeroplan® Visa Business.
Miles Already Expired? You Can Reinstate Miles
If your miles have already expired, you have a couple of options. Within 6 months of your account becoming inactive, you can reinstate all your Aeroplan miles free of charge by either taking an Air Canada flight or opening an Aeroplan credit card.
After the 6 months, you can still reinstate your miles at the cost of 1 cent per mile plus a $30 administrative fee. To reinstate your miles, you'll want to call the Aeroplan Contact Center at 1-800-361-5373.
Aeroplan is a great program, with plenty of excellent value in their redemption sweet spots. And with proper planning, you can avoid dreaded fuel surcharges on award tickets. The program is active and regularly offers different promotions. In the long run, the program should get even better after the launch of the new Air Canada Aeroplan program in Q4 2020.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.