AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, miles in Aeroplan, Air Canada's frequent flier program expire if the Aeroplan Member has not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan Miles for a period of 12 consecutive months. There are, however, several easy ways to prevent your miles from expiring. It is critical to keep in mind that the 12-month period is not a calendar year, but rather 12 consecutive months from the date of your last transaction. So, if your last transaction was in April of a given year, all your miles will be valid until the same date in April the following year.
How To Prevent Your Miles From Expiring
- Earn Miles
- Fill up at an Esso station and show/swipe your Aeroplan card
- Purchase something with your Aeroplan-affiliated credit card
- Shop at any Aeroplan partner and show or swipe your Aeroplan card
- Enter your Aeroplan number and shop at any of the 120+ online partners via the Aeroplan eStore
- Credit miles earned from an Air Canada or Star Alliance flight
- Transfer points from an Aeroplan hotel partner like Marriott Rewards
- Redeem Miles
Exceptions to the Mileage Expiration Policy
The mileage expiry policy is waived under certain circumstances. These include:
- Aeroplan Accounts belonging to minors (under 18 years of age)
- Members of the Air Canada loyalty program who have Altitude Status
- Primary cardmembers of the following credit cards: TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite, TD® Aeroplan® Visa Platinum, TD® Aeroplan® Visa Infinite Privilege, TD® Aeroplan® Visa Business, CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite, CIBC Aerogold Visa, CIBC Aerogold for Small Business and CIBC Aero Classic Visa cardholders.
Miles Already Expired? You Can Reinstate Miles
Aeroplan does let you reinstate miles at a price of $.01 per mile and a $30 administrative fee. To reinstate your miles you'll want to call the Aeroplan Contact Center at 1-800-361-5373.
Aeroplan is a great program, with plenty of excellent value in their redemption sweet spots. With proper planning, you can avoid dreaded fuel surcharges on award tickets. The program is active and regularly offers different promotions, however in the long run things may not be as rosy, once Air Canada breaks off and establishes its own rewards program.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.