AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Aeroplan points do expire if the Aeroplan member has not accumulated or redeemed Aeroplan points for a period of 18 consecutive months. However, Air Canada suspended all point expiration through May 31, 2023. So, you won't have to worry about any point expiration through then.
The 18-month period is the 18 consecutive months from the date of your last transaction. So, if your last transaction was on April 1 of a given year, all your points will be valid through October 1 of the following year.
Note that this 18-month policy was adopted on July 20, 2020. Under the previous policy, Aeroplan points expired after 12 months of inactivity.
The good news is there are several easy ways to prevent your points from expiring—which we cover below.
How To Prevent Your Aeroplan Points From Expiring
- Earn Points
- Credit points earned from an Air Canada or Star Alliance flight.
- Purchase something with your Aeroplan-affiliated credit card — such as the Aeroplan® Credit Card .
- Shop through Aeroplan retail partners.
- Earn points by shopping through the Aeroplan eStore.
- Transfer points from an Aeroplan bank partner such as Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time), American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time) or Capital One Miles (1:1 ratio, instant transfer time).
- Transfer points from an Aeroplan hotel partner like Marriott Bonvoy.
- Redeem Points
Exceptions to the Mileage Expiration Policy
The mileage expiry policy is waived under certain circumstances, including:
- Members under age 18.
- Members with elite status (applies to Elite 25K and above).
- Primary cardmembers of an Aeroplan-affiliated credit card
Aeroplan Points Already Expired? You Can Reinstate Them
If your points have already expired, you have a couple of options. Within 6 months of your account becoming inactive, you can reinstate all your Aeroplan points free of charge by either taking an Air Canada flight or opening an Aeroplan credit card.
After the 6 months, you can still reinstate your points at the cost of 1 cent per mile plus a $30 administrative fee. To reinstate your points, you'll want to call the Aeroplan Contact Center at 1-800-361-5373.
Aeroplan is a great program, with plenty of excellent value in their redemption sweet spots. And with the new program, you can avoid dreaded fuel surcharges on award tickets. The program is active and regularly offers different promotions.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.