AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The information related to Hilton Honors American Express Card and Hilton Honors American Express Aspire has been collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer of this card.
Points earned in the Hilton Honors program expire in an account with no eligible activity in a 12-month period. To ensure you know about any points potentially expiring, add your Hilton Honors accounts to your AwardWallet profile.
How To Prevent Hilton Honors Points from Expiring
To keep your Hilton Honors points from expiring you need to have some form of eligible activity which includes:
- Staying at a Hilton property on a points-earning eligible rate
- Use a co-branded Hilton credit card to earn points.
- Participate in the Hilton Dining Program and have a qualifying dine
- Shop online through the Hilton Honors Shopping Portal
- Transfer of points into a Hilton Honors account from an external program, such as American Express Membership Rewards
- Purchase Points ($10 for 1,000 points)
- Earn points through e-Rewards or eMiles
- Use Hilton Honors points to shop at Amazon. Just use $1.00 in points! (reader confirmed)
Like most hotel programs, you can expect your Hilton Honors points to expire when an account is dormant or doesn’t otherwise have some form of eligible activity to consider the account active.
Which Credit Cards Can You Use to Keep Your Account Active?
There are four Hilton co-branded credit cards from American Express that you can use to keep your Hilton Honors account active:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
- Hilton Honors Business Card from American Express
Keeping An Account Active is Easy
Keeping hotel rewards active is quite easy. You don’t need to stay at a Hilton to keep your account active – just be sure you review all the options before you let your points expire. Conveniently, there are plenty of options available, most of which will cost you little to nothing in price, time or effort.
Reinstating Hilton Honors Points
On December 13, 2017, Hilton added terms covering reinstatement of points, backdated to March 1, 2017. The language is:
Hilton Honors members can reinstate up to 1,000,000 expired Hilton Honors Points. Only Points balances that have expired in the previous 18 months are eligible for reinstatement. Only one reinstatement transaction is permitted per Hilton Honors account. Email address is required and will only be used for transaction and marketing communications related to this purchase. Points reinstated do not count towards elite tier qualification. Points.com and Hilton Honors reserve the right to terminate this reinstatement program at any time.
Check out our post on reinstating Hilton Honors points.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.