AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Hilton Honors points expire if your account doesn't have eligible activity in a 15-month period. This is a slight improvement from the 12-month expiration policy that Hilton previously had in place. In addition, Hilton paused all points expiration through December 31, 2021. See this post for the airline and hotel programs that have paused the expiration of points and miles.
The best way to be alerted about expiring Hilton Honors points is to add your Hilton Honors account to your AwardWallet profile. You'll automatically get an email notification warning you ahead of your expiration date. That way you can use one of the ways listed below to generate qualifying activity.
How To Prevent Hilton Honors Points from Expiring
To keep your Hilton Honors points from expiring you need to have some form of eligible activity which includes:
- Stay at a Hilton property on a points-earning eligible rate
- Complete a Hilton points redemption stay
- Use a co-branded Hilton credit card to earn points
- Participate in the Hilton Dining Program and have a qualifying dine
- Earn Hilton Honors Points through another “third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation”. Examples could include linking your Hilton account to Lyft and completing a ride to earn points.
- Purchase Points. It costs just $10 to buy 1,000 points and extend your expiration date.
- Earn points through e-Rewards
- Donate points through the Giving Back Program
These Methods DO NOT Prevent Expiration
- Pooling your Hilton points does not count as a qualifying activity to extend their expiration.
- Transferring points to Hilton Honors from American Express Membership Rewards does not count as a qualifying activity.
Which Credit Cards Can You Use to Keep Your Account Active?
There are four Hilton co-branded credit cards issued by American Express. You can use any of these to keep your Hilton Honors account active:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
Reinstating Hilton Honors Points
Hilton allows you to reinstate your points as long as they have expired in the previous 18 months. Reinstating expired points is easy and can be done from your Hilton Honors account. You can reinstate your expired points on the following terms:
- Reinstating points costs 0.25 ¢ per point.
- You can only reinstate points that have expired in the last 18 months.
- The maximum points that can be reinstated is 1,000,000.
You can check out our post on reinstating Hilton Honors points.
Keeping An Account Active is Easy
With so many options and 15 months, validity keeping your Hilton points active is quite easy. You don’t even need to stay at a Hilton to keep your account active. Just be sure you review all the options before you let your points expire. Conveniently, there are plenty of options available for you to choose from, most of which will cost you little to nothing in price, time, or effort.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.