AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, if you have no activity on your account for 24 months your World of Hyatt points will expire. Per Hyatt’s terms and conditions page, all the points in your account will be forfeited after 24 months of inactivity.
However, World of Hyatt has paused the expiration of points through December 31, 2021. See this post for the airline and hotel programs that have paused the expiration of points and miles.
If your points expire, there is no way to have them reinstated. However, your account will stay open, and you will still be able to earn World of Hyatt points going forward.
How to Keep Your World of Hyatt Points From Expiring
Now the important question is what activity will keep your World of Hyatt Points alive.
According to the Hyatt terms and conditions page, you have various options of activity that Hyatt will consider valid. These will count towards keeping your account alive and keep resetting your 24-month clock.
- Earning Points — There are several options to earn points, including earning points for stays at Hyatt Hotels or participating M Life resorts or for Avis Car Rentals.
- Earn Credit with a Partner — Receive credit with a travel partner or M life Rewards Tier Credits for a stay at a Hyatt hotel or resort
- Hold a Hyatt Credit Card — The The World of Hyatt Credit Card will keep your account active and your points from expiring. Not only that, for every $5,000 spent on the card, you'll receive 2 elite qualifying nights towards the next elite tier. That opens a fast-track to Explorist or Globalist status. Also, you will earn 4X points at Hyatt hotels and resorts worldwide.
- Purchase Points — Purchasing World of Hyatt points will count as activity and will keep your account and points alive.
- Gifting Points — Gifting your World of Hyatt points to another member is considered eligible activity and will reset the 24-month activity clock.
- Transfer Ultimate Rewards — Extend the validity of your World of Hyatt points by transfer points from an Ultimate Rewards-earning credit card — such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card. By transferring points into your World of Hyatt account, you'll extend the expiration by 24 months. Interestingly, we have a data point that the transaction will appear as ‘points purchased' in your Hyatt account when you do this.
- Convert Points to Miles — Converting some of your Hyatt Points into miles with one of Hyatt’s 26 partner airlines will count towards keeping your account alive. The transfer rate isn't great: 5,000 points transfers to just 2,000 miles for most airlines. Some programs offer a slightly better rate:
- 4,000 Aeromexico kilometers
- 4,000 LAN Airlines S.A. kilometers
- 3,200 Air China kilometers
- 3,200 China Eastern Airlines points
- 2,400 Qantas Airways points
- 2,400 Southwest Airlines points
- 3,000 Virgin Atlantic Airways miles
- Redeem Points — Use your points and redeem them for a free night at one of Hyatt’s properties. You can also redeem points for room upgrades and other amenities. If you don’t want a free night, you can redeem your points for dining and spa activities at many participating Hyatt locations around the world. You can also redeem 6,000 points for an Avis Car rental per day.
Keeping your World of Hyatt points balance alive is easy. So, there is no excuse for letting your points lapse. Arguably the simplest and easiest way to keep an account active is simply to transfer points to a friend or family member. Given the price (free) why not!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.