AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes. If you have no activity on your account for 18 months, Choice Privileges points expire. Qualifying activity resets the expiration clock on your points for a further 18 months. Per the Choice Privileges website:
As long as you are an active Choice Privileges member, your points never expire. You must, however, complete at least one qualifying activity every 18 months to maintain an active account and to retain your accumulated points. Choice Privileges points are forfeited in accounts that have no qualifying activity during the previous 18 consecutive calendar months.
Choice Privileges has paused point expiration through the end of 2021. However, this is only for elite members. See this post for the airline and hotel programs that have paused the expiration of points and miles.
Be sure to track your Choice Privileges Points with AwardWallet to be alerted before your points expire.
Qualifying Activity to Extend Choice Point Expiration
Per the Choice hotels FAQ page, only the following activities count as a qualifying activity to prevent points expiration:
- Earn points for a paid stay at a participating Choice Hotels property
- Redeem your points for stays at Choice Hotels
- Buy Choice Privileges points
- Refer a friend: after they join Choice Privileges and complete an eligible stay
- Transferring American Express Membership Rewards to Choice Privileges
- Receiving Choice points as a gift
- Transfers of your points to/from airline partners through Rewards Exchange
- Earning points for shopping through the Choice Privileges Mall
- Earn points for renting a car with Avis or Budget car rentals
- Earning points for taking a cruise with Choice Privilege Cruises
- Earn points through the Choice Privileges® Visa Signature® Card — which is currently offering new cardholders the chance to earn up to 75,000 bonus points
The following activities do not count towards resetting your points expiration date:
- Rooms booked for under $40
- Rooms booked through third-party retailers or as part of a convention or meeting
- Gifting points — only the person receiving the points qualifies for a reset of points expiration
- Registering for a promotion
- Non-point eligible stays
With so many different options to keep your points alive and 18 months to take advantage of them, there is no excuse to letting your Choice Privileges points expire. Even if you're stuck at home, you can keep your points from expiring by simply transferring a few Membership Rewards points to Choice Privileges.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.