AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, your Qantas Frequent Flyer points will expire if you have no activity on your account for 18 months. Per the Qantas information page:
“To ensure you keep your Qantas Points from expiring, you'll need to earn or use Qantas Points through your account at least once every 18 months.”
One thing to note is that although Qantas only resumed international flights to London and Los Angeles on November 1, 2021, it has not implemented any general points expiration suspension like many other airlines. However, Qantas members outside of Australia have been able to request an extension of their points expiration.
How To Ensure Your Qantas Points Don't Expire
You need to earn or use your Frequent Flyer points at least every 18 months to ensure your points don't expire. All the following ways of earning Qantas points count towards keeping your points active:
- Take a Qantas flight.
- Fly with Oneworld partners like British Airways and non-alliance partners like Emirates.
- Earn points through a hotel partner, including IHG, Airbnb, Choice Hotels, World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, and Accor.
- Rent a car from partners like Avis and Budget.
- Shop with Qantas Shopping.
- Spend on select health and leisure activities.
- Earn points with Qantas insurance partners.
- Use partner utility services.
- Earn points for property sales and rentals.
- Purchase fuel from BP and other automotive services.
- Buy food and wine from select partners, including with HelloFresh and Quandoo.
- Earn points for everyday spending with Qantas co-branded credit cards.
Additionally, using your points in the following ways will ensure your Qantas Points don't expire:
- Book award flights or upgrades with Qantas or one of its airline partners.
- Use your points for car rentals with Avis & Budget.
- Pay for Qantas Holidays or Qantas Hotel stays using your points.
- Use your points at the Qantas Rewards store.
- Redeem points Qantas Wines.
- Use your points and cash to pay for your Qantas travel insurance.
One thing to remember is that transfers between family accounts and transfers from a Qantas Business Rewards account will not qualify toward keeping your points active.
Unfortunately, Qantas did not take any steps to help out its customers during the COVID pandemic by pausing points expiration — unlike over 20 other airlines. However, it still allowed non-Australian residents to request a points expiration reprieve as a one-off.
Despite this lack of generosity, keeping your Qantas points alive remains a breeze. That's because there are so many options available to earn or use Qantas Points. The most important thing to do is keep track of your Qantas balance and activity to ensure you always stay within the 18-month activity window. This way, your points don't expire.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.