AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
British Airways Avios expire after 36 months in an account with no activity. To prevent your Avios from expiring you need to earn, spend, purchase, or share at least one Avios every 36 months.
Can AwardWallet Help Me Ensure My Avios Do Not Expire?
Yes! Be sure to add your British Airways Executive Club account to AwardWallet; in the event that your Avios are close to expiration, we'll give you a heads up. We'll even show you when your Avios are set to expire.
How Can You Earn Avios?
Earning Avios can be accomplished in many ways. The most obvious being flying with British Airways or one of their partners. Here are additional ways you can earn Avios:
- Hotels: British Airways has partnered with many hotel chains from the Hilton to IHG, and you can earn Avios during your stay. Keep in mind that when you earn Avios for a hotel stay, you may be forfeiting the points you’d otherwise receive in the hotel’s loyalty program.
- Car Rental: Rentals with Avis will also earn you Avios, as they are a British Airways Avios Earning Partner. Again, if you're earning Avios, you'll likely forfeit any other rewards available through Avis.
- Shopping: You can earn Avios from many of BA’s shopping partners, although most are in Europe.
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card: If you’ve got the British Airways Visa Card, your everyday spend will help ensure that you’ll be consistently earning Avios each month. Using your card will make sure that your account and its balance doesn't expire.
- Transfer Partners: Transferring points from Marriott Bonvoy, Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards will extend the life of the Avios in your account.
- Other Credit Cards: You can transfer the points earned on these cards to British Airways through the mutual relationships of the loyalty and rewards program:
How Can You Spend Avios?
Spending Avios can be just as easy as earning with all the options available. You can redeem them for flights, upgrades, or even in part payment for airfares. However, you can also use them towards hotel stays, car rentals, and even memorable experiences.
How Can You Purchase Avios?
While we usually don’t like the idea of buying points and miles, purchasing British Airways Avios can easily be completed directly on the British Airways website. Avios sell in 1,000-point increments; the cost will vary depending on which country your account is registered. When it comes to purchasing Avios, it is always best to wait until there is a promotion offering bonus Avios when making a purchase. We’d recommend this only as a last resort.
How Can You Share Avios?
Like purchasing Avios, British Airways will charge you to share Avios from an account in your name to someone else. The price varies based on your country and the number of Avios you’re looking to transfer. While the rates are better than an outright purchase, this is another scenario which we’d avoid.
If you’re looking for some ideas on how to cash in your Avios, check out our Sweet Spots for British Airways Avios.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.