AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yes, British Airways Avios expire after 36 months in an account with no activity. Per the British Airways Executive Club terms and conditions:
“Your Avios stay with you as long as you collect, spend, purchase or share at least one Avios every 36 months — any longer and your Avios will expire and be removed.”
British Airways is not pausing expiration of Avios due to the coronavirus pandemic. So, you'll need to generate activity to keep your Avios balance from expiring. Click here for the major airline and hotel loyalty programs that have paused expiration.
Ways to Avoid British Airways Avios Expiration
You have plenty of options for keeping your Executive Club account open: earning Avios, spending Avios, or transferring points into Avios.
How to Earn British Airways Avios
British Airways Executive Club offers a large number of ways to earn Avios, including:
- Earn Avios when you fly with British Airways or one of its partner airlines.
- Earn Avios for your hotel stays with BA’s extensive list of hotel partnerships. From Accor to IHG, Hyatt, and Booking.com, you can earn Avios on a vast array of hotel bookings.
- Earn Avios when you rent a car with Avis or Budget.
- Earn Avios when you shop with one of British Airways shopping partners, including The Bicester Village Shopping Collection and Laithwaite’s Wine. It is worth noting most of these partners are in Europe.
- Earn Avios for everyday spending when you pay with your British Airways Visa Signature® Card.
- Purchase Avios with a minimum of 1,000 and a maximum of 200,000 per year.
- Transfer Avios: up to 27,000 Avios to one member per year with a maximum of 162,000
- Earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3 Avios.
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2 Avios. Plus earn 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 10% off British Airways flights starting in the US when you book through the website provided in your welcome materials.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Simply tap to pay with your contactless British Airways Visa Signature Card. Just look for the contactless symbol at checkout. It's fast, easy and secure!
- 3X Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL
- 2X Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations
- 1X Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Ways to Redeem British Airways Avios
- You can redeem your Avios for flights with British Airways or partner airlines.
- Use your Avios to book hotel stays.
- Redeem your Avios for car rental with Budget or Avis.
- Redeem Your Avios for a wide range of experiences across the world.
British Airways Transfer Partners
Whether you're looking to top off your account or avoid expiration, British Airways has quite the network of transfer partners. Here are the best options for transferring points:
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1 transfer ratio with a 5,000-Avios bonus for transferring at least 60,000 Bonvoy points)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1 transfer ratio)
- American Express Membership Rewards (1:1 transfer ratio)
- Iberia Plus (1:1 transfer ratio)
- Aer Lingus AerClub (1:1 transfer ratio)
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery.
- 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on other purchases
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
Track Your Avios Expiration Through AwardWallet
You can add your British Airways Executive Club account to AwardWallet. If your Avios are close to expiration, we'll give you a heads up. We'll even show you when your Avios are set to expire.
British Airways Avios have one of the more generous expiration policies compared to other global airlines. 12- and 24-month expiration policies are typical. So, 36 months is quite generous and gives you time to keep your Avios balance alive. Couple this longevity with some excellent redemption sweet spots, and Avios are an attractive option.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.