AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles and GOL Airlines announced a new partnership. Now, you can earn miles in both programs for flights on each carrier. The partnership came into effect on January 20, 2023, and the mileage accrual started from that date.
However, so far, neither mileage program is offering the option to redeem your miles for award flights.
Earning Turkish Airlines Miles For Flights on GOL
- Members can only earn miles for flights operated by GOL airlines.
- Mileage earnings are based on the fare class and the airline operating the flight.
- Members must keep their original boarding pass and ticket copies until the flight mileage is credited to their account.
- You can retroactively claim Miles & Smiles miles for GOL flights taken up to 12 months in the past.
Although you can claim mileage for GOL flights that happened up to 12 months in the past, it's likely that this is only from the start of the partnership on January 20, 2023. However, if you have taken a GOL flight in the last 12 months, it may be worth reaching out to Turkish Airlines to see if you can get the mileage credited to your account.
The earning rates on GOL vary between 50% to 150% of miles flown, depending on your fare class purchased.
- The lowest economy fares (Class N, B) earn 50% of the miles flown.
- Mid-tier economy fares (Class E, A, U) earn 75% of the miles flown.
- High-end economy fares (class Y, T, J, W, P) earn 100% of the miles flown.
- Premium economy fares (Class C, L, F, D) earn 150% of the miles flown.
Keep in mind that a whole range of booking fare classes will earn you nothing. So, you need to keep an eye out on your fare class when booking your next if you want to ensure you earn your miles. The following fare buckets are not eligible for mileage accrual, G, Z, X, I, R, S, K, H, M, Q, V, and O.
Earning GOL Miles For Flights on Turkish Airlines
- Members can only earn flights from flights marketed and sold by Turkish Airlines.
- Codeshare flights (flights operated by other airlines with a Turkish flight number) are ineligible for mileage accrual.
- The earning rate depends on the fare class.
- Members must keep their boarding cards and ticket until the miles are credited to their account.
- You can retroactively claim GOL miles for Turkish Airlines flights taken up to five months in the past.
- You can only accrue miles for flights taken after January 20, 2023.
You will earn GOL miles for flights on Turkish Airlines at the following rates:
- Business class fares earn between 100% and 150%.
- Economy class fares vary between 25% for the lowest fare bucket up to 100% for the highest fare buckets.
- The following fare classes do not earn miles: P, W, U, X, N, G, F, and I.
Let's consider a flight from Sao Paulo to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines — a flight clocking in at 6,594 miles.
If you are flying a higher economy fare class or business class, you can pick up a ton of miles. For instance, a one-way flight in a top-tier business class fare should earn you around 9,800 miles. That's enough for a couple of smaller hops in South America or even nearly enough for one longer journey.
This is an exciting and intriguing partnership between Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles and GOL Airlines.
Turkish Airlines only operates two routes to South America with regular service from Istanbul to Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. Partnering up with GOL works for Turkish Airlines since it gives their customers many more options when arriving in South America.
On the other hand, from GOL’s point of view, partnering up with Turkish is a great way for it to tap into the large number of international travelers arriving in Sao Paulo.
For now, the partnership is still relatively new and only applies to earning miles. Hopefully the partnership will expand to include the ability to redeem your Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles and GOL miles for award flights on each other’s airline.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.