AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Barclay and Citibank American Airlines co-branded credit card members have long enjoyed a little-known benefit: the Reduced Mileage Awards. Each month select U.S. airports are eligible for MileSAAver award bookings with a discounted mileage requirement. The number of miles saved depends on the type of AA co-branded credit card you hold and whether your flight covers more than 500 miles. Discounts range from 1,000 to 7,500 miles roundtrip.
Overview Of AA Reduced Mileage Awards
These awards are relatively easy to take advantage of, but they do require a little effort for the savings:
- Discount is valid for one-way and roundtrip MileSAAver awards.
- The one-way discount is half of the round-trip discount.
- Discounts have been published for August 1st, 2019 through November 30th, 2019.
- Travel must originate in the 48 contiguous United States or Canada.
- Discount will apply if either your origin or destination is on the list for the month in which you travel. (Both airports do not need to be on the list)
- MileSAAver award space must be available on your travel dates
- The offer applies to various destinations on AA’s schedule, which are updated every month — see their full list of participating airports.
- Bookings need to be made via American AAdvantage reservations (1-800-882-8880).
- Phone booking fees should be waived—remind your agent that these awards cannot be booked online.
Choose from 185 Participating Airports
A complete list of airports is available, and there are plenty of options across the country. Some of our favorite destinations include:
- Birmingham, AL (BHM)
- Columbus, OH (CMH)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- Memphis, TN (MEM)
- Oakland, CA (OAK)
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
- Tulsa, OK (TUL)
How To Leverage AA Reduced Mileage Awards
Depending on the card you hold, you can be eligible for either:
- A discount of 7,500 miles for roundtrip flights over 500 miles, or 2,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles
- A discount of 5,000 miles for roundtrip flights over 500 miles, and 1,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles
Leveraging an AA Reduced Mileage Award is relatively straightforward (See our guide to booking AA Reduced Mileage Awards). Once you have determined the level of your discount, discount code, and destination, you can call AA reservations on 1-800-882-8880 to complete your reservation.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are a little-known benefit of being a Citi or Barclays AA co-branded cardmember. The fact that they're not bookable online and that destinations change regularly make it something that we're confident most people don't use, which is a shame. This month, the promotion covers the remainder of the summer up to November. So, if you have travel plans lined up it is well worth checking to see if you can benefit from the AA Reduced Mileage Awards.
Since the discount is a flat rate regardless of whether you fly economy or first class, the best value with this deal is to book economy. As long as a MileSAAver award is available and either your origin or destination airport is on the list for your date of travel, you should be able to take advantage of this deal with a quick phone call.
If you have an eligible AA co-branded credit card, make sure you bookmark AA Reduced Mileage Awards and give it a quick check before you look to redeem your miles. Even though AA typically charges a booking fee for phone bookings, they'll waive it for these awards since you cannot book them online.
Source: AA Reduced Mileage Awards
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.