AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is the highlight of Citi’s American Airlines branded credit cards, offering the perfect mix of a high-value 60,000 mile signup bonus, carrier-focused benefits like free checked bags and preferred boarding, and an affordable annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months.
The AA Platinum Select benefits are designed to make flying American Airlines a more enjoyable experience for AAdvantage members, and a little cheaper to boot. While the perks are AA focused, cardholders can redeem AAdvantage miles earned on the card for flights on American and Oneworld partners such as British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, and Qantas, plus with direct partners that include Alaska Air, Hawaiian Airlines, Fiji Airways, and Etihad.
Here’s the link to apply for the AA Platinum Select, or read on for a full breakdown of the card’s benefits.
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
Even better, this card gives you access to Reduced Mileage Awards, which can save you up to 30% on the miles required for domestic awards. With these perks, it's easy to justify the annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months.
- Free checked bags for you and up to 4 companions on domestic itineraries
- Priority boarding to help you win the race for overhead bin space
- A 25% discount on inflight food, beverage, and Wi-Fi purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards can save you 7,500 miles on roundtrip MileSAAver Awards
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at restaurants
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at gas stations
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
AA Platinum Select Signup Bonus
Signing up for the AA Platinum Select will land you Earn 60,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles bonus AAdvantage miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*. That’s enough for round-trip domestic flights for two within the continental US with miles left in your account for future use, or a round-trip economy fare to Europe at 60,000 miles. Redeeming miles this way, we find we can typically achieve a value of ~1.5¢ per mile, allowing you to extract roughly $900 from the signup offer on the AA Platinum Select. Potentially more if pooled with other miles in your account for premium cabin international fares.
AA Platinum Select Earning Potential and Bonus Categories
While the bonus categories aren’t as generous as our favorite flexible travel cards, the AA Platinum Select still comes in as one of the highest earning cards for AAdvantage miles due to the lack of programs transferring to AA.
- 2X miles per $1 spent on American Airlines purchases
- 2X miles per $1 spent at gas stations and restaurants
- 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
You also receive a $125 AA flight discount when you spend $20,000 in a cardmember year, and renew your card. Not the most aspirational perk, but if your spending on the card to collect AA miles, the AA flight discount is the icing on the cake.
AA Platinum Select Feature Benefits
First Checked Bag Free
This is a perk that can be a real money saver if you travel with friends or family on the same reservation. The first checked bag on American will typically set you back $30. And this benefit covers the first checked bag for up to five people including the primary cardholder. Potentially saving you $150 each way, or up to $300 on a single round-trip. Even flying two round-trip solo flights per year can recoup the out-of-pocket expense of holding the card using this benefit. And that’s not taking into account any other perks or the waived annual fee for the first year.
$125 American Airlines Flight Discount After Spending $20,000 In a Year
Each cardmember year you spend $20,000 on the AA Platinum Select and renew your account for another year, you’ll receive a $125 American Airlines Flight Discount. The flight discount expires one year from the date of issue and can be redeemed against ticket purchases of American marketed and operated flights only.
25% Savings on Inflight Purchases
If you purchase inflight food or drinks with your AA Platinum Select, you’ll save 25% off, applied as a statement credit on your account. Valid on domestic American operated flights.
Redeem for Reduced Mileage Rewards
AAdvantage members can take advantage of Reduced Mileage Awards. The catch is that you have to make the reservations over the phone, and some block out dates apply. But, you can save up to 7,500 points on a domestic flight, if you can be a little flexible with your travel plans.
You receive preferred boarding on American marketed flights for you and up to four companions traveling on the same reservation, which allows you to board directly after Priority Boarding groups.
Purchase and Travel Protections
Update: Citi has just announced dramatic changes to benefits that are scheduled to take effect for purchases made after September 22, 2019. Unfortunately, it looks like many of our favorite protections may be eliminated. We’ll be investigating the full range of changes and will update this post accordingly.
The AA Platinum Select is a World Elite Mastercard and provides a long list of purchase and travel protection perks. Current benefits include:
- Trip interruption and cancellation insurance up to $5,000
- Trip delay protection up to $500 per covered traveler
- Baggage delay cover of up to $100 plus lost baggage cover up to $3,000 per traveler, up to $10,000 per trip
- Auto Rental Insurance on rentals worldwide up to $50,000, coverage is secondary in the US and primary outside the US.
- Citi Price Rewind – register purchases and if the price drops in the next 60 days you’ll be reimbursed the difference up to $200 per item, $1,000 per year
- Purchase Protection – Purchase an item with your card or ThankYou Points, and if it is damaged or stolen in the first 90 days, Citi will cover you up to $10,000 per item, up to $50,000 per year (secondary cover)
- Extended Warranty up to 24 months past the manufacturers’ warranty, up to $10,000
- Return Protection for up to 90 days – max $300 per item up to $1,000 per year
- Access to Luxury Hotels & Resorts portfolio – receive perks like free breakfast, late checkout, and welcome gifts
- Discounts on select airfare from a variety of carriers like Etihad, Qatar, and Cathay Pacific
- $10 Lyft discount when you take 5 rides in a calendar month
- Free FICO scores
In addition to Citi’s standard application restrictions, which apply across the full range of Citi rewards cards, folks applying for the AA Platinum Select also need to navigate rules that apply only to the Citi AA family of cards.
- Maximum of one (1) personal card per eight days
- Maximum two (2) total cards per 65 days
- Maximum one (1) business card per 95 days
- American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage®card (other than a MileUpSM or CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.
To qualify for the AA Platinum Select, you can’t already have a Citi® / AAdvantage card, or have opened or closed one in the past 24 months. Note that holding a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage card doesn’t stop you from applying for a personal card.
Whether you fly American regularly or just a few times per year, the AA Platinum Select can save you money on your flights and provide some added efficiency to your travel. It should go without saying, but if you don’t ever fly American Airlines, this card should not even catch a sniff of your rewards strategy outside of banking the signup bonus as a backup for your rewards portfolio. Having the annual fee waived for the first year means it is possible to take the card for a test-run for the better part of a year before deciding if it gets a permanent place in your wallet.
If you prefer more flexibility, or prefer to travel with Star Alliance or SkyTeam, then you will want to explore cards that offer a wider variety of redemption options like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Citi Premier℠ Card, which earn points you can transfer to a variety of airline and hotel partners. AAdvantage miles can only be redeemed for airline flights on the Oneworld Alliance and American’s airline partners, and not used for other types of travel rewards.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.