AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The changes below have taken effect, and this post is no longer being updated. Here is our archive of major updates from card issuers and loyalty programs.
Citi is cutting key travel and purchase protection benefits across its entire range of rewards cards. In June 2019, Citi emailed cardholders to disclose the benefits which are being cut from each card. The changes are broad and affect many popular Citi rewards cards like the:
- Citi Prestige® Card
- Citi Premier® Card
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- Citi® Double Cash Card
Citi has long been the go-to card issuer for select travel and retail purchases thanks to its stellar trip delay policy, trip cancelation & interruption coverage, and post-purchase retail benefits like Citi Price Rewind. With Citi making such sweeping changes to travel and purchase protections, we want to revisit some of Citi’s more popular benefits and recommend the best alternative cards so you're covered after the changes go into effect on September 22, 2019.
Citi Benefits No Longer Available from September 22, 2019
From 09/22/2019, the following benefits will disappear from Citi cards across the board:
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
- Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
- Trip Delay Protection
- Baggage Delay Protection
- Lost Baggage Protection
- Medical Evacuation
- Citi® Price Rewind
- 90 Day Return Protection
- Missed Event Ticket Protection
- Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service
- Travel & Emergency Assistance
In addition to the above benefits, the Citi Double Cash and Citi® Dividend Card lose:
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Protection
While no card escapes the cuts completely, the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi is the card least affected. Losing only the headline Citi Price Rewind and Trip Interruption & Cancelation coverage. But, retaining many of the benefits lost by other cards.
The Citi Costco card will still offer the following benefits:
- Worldwide Car Rental Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
- Roadside Dispatch Service
- Damage & Theft Purchase protection
How to Retain Travel and Purchase Protections
We’ve put together a dedicated post for each of the card benefits listed below, so be sure to check out the complete guides for more details on the policies for each bank. In today’s post, we’re highlighting one of the top cards for each category, but there are often several options with comparable coverage.
If you're looking for a single card to maximize coverage, Chase has emerged as the new industry leader for travel and purchase benefits.
Here's a quick list of our complete guides:
- Primary car rental insurance
- Trip cancellation and interruption
- Trip delay protection
- Baggage delay
- Lost or damaged baggage
- Price protection
- Return protection
- Roadside assistance
- Extended warranty
- Purchase protection
Primary Rental Car Insurance
With Citi’s exit, the list of cards offering primary rental car coverage is now dominated by Chase cards. The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card tops our list of the best cards for primary rental insurance. If you’re renting for business purposes, the Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card is a great alternative.
- Earn 100k bonus points after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year. Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases
- With Fraud Protection your card transactions will be monitored for possible signs of fraudulent activity using real-time fraud monitoring.
- With Zero Liability you won't be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your card or account information.
- Redeem points for cash back, gift cards, travel and more - your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Purchase Protection covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $10,000 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- 3X points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year
- 1X point per $1 on all other purchases
- See our complete guide for a full list of cards offering primary rental car insurance.
Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection
The Chase Sapphire Reserve® and Sapphire Preferred offer the best trip interruption & cancelation policies, providing up to $10,000 per person for each covered trip (maximum $20,000 per trip and $40,000 per year). If you're looking to minimize your costs, the Sapphire Preferred provides the same coverage at less than a quarter of the annual fee.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide
- 3X points on eligible streaming services
- 3X points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 2X points on all other travel
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Check out our revised list of the best cards for trip interruption & cancelation insurance for more details.
Trip Delay Protection
For years, the Citi Prestige® Card provided the best trip delay reimbursement policy, covering delays as short as 3+ hours. However, Citi now joins Amex on the sidelines, and the best trip delay policy is essentially a one-horse-race. The Chase Sapphire Reserve® now provides the top trip delay policy, with coverage kicking in after delays of 6+ hours, capped at $500 in expenses.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year.
- Earn 5x total points on flights and 10x total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards® immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3x points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit every four years for Global Entry, NEXUS, or TSA PreCheck®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more
- 10X points on Lyft rides through March 2025
- 10X points on hotels and car rentals purchased through Chase
- 10X points on Chase Dining (including prepaid reservations and prepaid takeout purchased through Chase)
- 5X points on airfare purchased through Chase
- 3X points on all other travel
- 3X points on dining at restaurants
- 1X points on all other purchases
- With the exception of a few cards from US Bank and Barclays, Chase is leaps and bounds ahead of other card issuers when it comes to the best cards for trip delay reimbursement.
Baggage Delay Protection
Again, the Chase Trio of the Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve, and Ink Preferred provide the top policies for baggage delay protection. Plus, you'll also find this valuable coverage on co-brand Chase cards like the The World of Hyatt Credit Card. Coverage kicks in after delays of 6+ hours and provides up to $100 per day for a maximum of 5 days (max $500).
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 More Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 spent
- Enjoy complimentary World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open.
- Get 1 free night each year after your Cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort.
- Receive 5 tier qualifying night credits towards status after account opening, and each year after that for as long as your account is open
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 in a calendar year
- Earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card
- Earn up to 9 points total for Hyatt stays - 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- Earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships
- Up to 9X points total per $1 spent at Hyatt - 4X points per $1 when you use your card at Hyatt hotels & 5X points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- 2X points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships
- 1X point per $1 everywhere else
- See our comprehensive guide to the best cards for baggage delay protection for more details.
Lost Baggage Protection
One of the few travel protection policies where American Express leads the pack, Amex includes lost and damaged luggage insurance across 40+ cards, although coverage differs from card to card. For example, The Platinum Card® from American Express provides up to $3,000 per person for carry-on baggage, up to $2,000 per person for checked baggage, a maximum benefit of $1,000 on high-risk items such as jewelry, sporting equipment, and electronics; claims cannot exceed $3,000 per person total per covered trip.
- Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- Get up to $300 back per calendar year on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card. Enrollment required. Learn more.
- Breeze through security with CLEAR® lanes available at 100+ airports, stadiums, and entertainment venues and get up to $189 back per calendar year on your membership when you use your Card. Learn more.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (up to $500,000 in purchases per calendar year).
- Earn 5X points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- You'll also find top-tier coverage with Chase cards. Here is our complete guide to lost-baggage protection.
This benefit has taken a hammering in recent years. Late in 2018, Chase removed price protection from all Visa cards. And, with Citi pulling the pin on Price Rewind, there are now just a handful of cards that offer price protection benefits. Our ‘best-of-the-rest’ pick for price protection is the Savor Rewards from Capital One, which provides up to $250 per item and a maximum four claims in 12 months per account, with a claim window of 120 days from purchase.
- $300 Cash Back after you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- 4% cash back on dining, entertainment, and popular streaming services, plus 3% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023
- No foreign transaction fees
- 4% cash back on dining
- 4% cash back on entertainment
- 4% cash back on popular streaming services
- 3% cash back at grocery stores
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023
- The list of cards providing price protection grows smaller every year. Check out all the cards that offer price protection here.
Although Chase removed this benefit from the majority of rewards cards in 2018, return protection is still available on the Sapphire Reserve, which provides up to $500 coverage per item, up to $1,000 per year. Amex offers this protection across a broader range of card products, with almost every Amex card listing return protection of up to $300 per item, up to $1,000 per year.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Satisfy your cravings and earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the American Express® Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
- Choose the color that suits your style. Gold or Rose Gold.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 4X Membership Rewards® Points at restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on other purchases
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- See our list of the best cards for return protection and the policies for each provider for more details.
Chase and Amex both provide extensive policies for roadside assistance, but the United cards from Chase top the list due to their comparatively low annual fees. While Amex restricts this perk to high annual fee cards, the two Explorer cards provide complimentary coverage with annual fees of less than $100.
- Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on dining, hotel stays, and United® purchases
- Up to $100 Global Entry, TSA PreCheck® or NEXUS fee credit
- 25% back as a statement credit on purchases of food, beverages and Wi-Fi on board United-operated flights and on Club premium drinks when you pay with your Explorer Card
- Free first checked bag - a savings of up to $140 per roundtrip. Terms Apply.
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- Get one-year complimentary DashPass, a membership for both DoorDash and Caviar that provides unlimited deliveries with $0 delivery fees and lower service fees on eligible orders. After that, you are automatically enrolled in DashPass at the current monthly rate. Activate by 12/31/24.
- 2X miles per $1 spent on purchases from United®
- 2X miles per $1 spent at restaurants and on hotel stays
- 1X mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
Citi may be pulling extended warranty coverage from the Citi Double Cash and Citi® Dividend Card. But, it still maintains one of the best extended warranty policies across the rest of the Citi rewards card portfolio. Both Amex and Citi will now extend warranties on new purchases up to a total of seven years.
- Complimentary Admirals Club membership for the primary cardholder
- Complimentary Admirals Club membership for up to 10 authorized user accounts
- No charge for authorized user accounts
- First checked bag free on domestic AA flights for you and up to 8 companions
- Priority check-in, TSA screening lines, and boarding
- 10,000 bonus Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- Find all the details in our guide to credit card extended warranty benefits.
American Express provides the most comprehensive purchase protection, with policies applying across more than 50 Amex cards in one form or another. Purchase protection allows you to seek reimbursement for a recent purchase if the item is stolen or damaged; a typical policy will cover you for 90 to 120 days after your purchase.
- Welcome Offer: Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com, and 1X points for each dollar you spend on eligible purchases.
- Earn 1.5X points (that's an extra half point per dollar) on eligible purchases at US construction material & hardware suppliers, electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers, and shipping providers, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else, on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year.
- Unlock over $1,000 in annual statement credits on a curation of business purchases, including select purchases made with Dell Technologies, Indeed, Adobe, and U.S. wireless service providers.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year for checked baggage fees, lounge day passes, and more at one selected airline.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at more than 50 U.S. airports and stadiums.
- The American Express Global Lounge Collection® can provide an escape at the airport. With more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting, you have more lounge location options than any other credit card on the market as of 9/2021.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. construction material and hardware suppliers.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. shipping providers.
- 1.5X earning rates are subject to a cap of $2 million in purchases per calendar year.
- You can learn more about purchase protection (and the cards which offer it) in our purchase protection guide.
Citi’s benefit cuts are a huge devaluation for their portfolio of cards. We’re especially surprised to see these changes affecting premium travel cards like the Prestige Card and Citi Premier, which cardholders have come to associate with specific benefits such as trip delay and baggage delay. Since travel coverage requires you to use your card for (at least a portion of) the purchase, it becomes a lot harder to justify using the Prestige Card to earn 5X on airfare.
Our recommendation? If you are unhappy with the changes, let your wallet do the talking and move your spending to other cards. Chase continues to offer top travel and purchase protection benefits across almost its entire range of rewards cards. And both Amex and Capital One help fill the gaps in Chase’s coverage. If you have any questions about the upcoming changes to Citi cards, or which card is the best replacement for your Citi card that is losing its benefits, get in touch via the comments below.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees), American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees), and The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.