AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Rewards cards can be categorized into four different groups:
- Cards you have for financial reasons (low APR, low balance transfer APR, etc.)
- Cards that you use for every day and bonus spending (such as 2x or 3x bonus categories)
- Those that have lucrative promotions for being a new cardmember (maybe an enticing 80,000-point offer)
- Cards that provide a vast amount of benefits solely by being a cardmember (lounge access, complimentary elite status, etc.)
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a perfect example of the type of card you want to have because of its extensive list of luxury benefits.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That's an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties . Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (from January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), and on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com
- New Cardmembers: Earn 10X points on up to $15,000 in combined purchases at U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations during your first 6 months of Card Membership
New Cardmember Welcome Bonus
The welcome offer is 75,000 bonus Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
This card typically offers 60,000 bonus points after reaching the spending requirement in only three months. Many have cut back on discretionary spending, making it a little harder to meet a big spending requirement. With this higher-than-normal bonus offer and a full six months to earn it, now is a great time to sign up for a Amex Platinum.
In addition to the increased bonus, Amex added a valuable opportunity for new cardmembers to earn even more points. During your first six months of card membership, you can earn 10X points on eligible purchases at U.S. gas stations and U.S. supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases. If you are able to reach that cap, you'll end up with 150,000 additional Membership Rewards points on top of the welcome bonus.
Membership Rewards are extremely valuable, especially when transferred to one of Amex's travel partners.
Rundown of Benefits
The annual fee on the Amex Platinum may initially cause you to think twice about the card — especially if you have the mentality of “why would I ever pay for a credit card?” The $550 fee (Rates & Fees) is one of the higher annual fees you'll see on a rewards card, but if you take advantage of the associated benefits, you'll understand why this card comes at a premium. The benefits include:
- American Express Membership Rewards earned from the Amex Platinum can be transferred to Amex’s 20+ travel partners
- Transfers are processed instantly to most partners
- 5x points on airfare when purchased from amextravel.com or direct with the airline. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com
- Provides Delta Sky Club access
- Provides access to Airspace Lounges, Plaza Premium Lounges, and one-off lounges like the Pontus In The Air lounge in Stockholm (ARN)
- Provides access to Lufthansa Lounges in Munich and Frankfurt when traveling on Lufthansa, Swiss, and Austrian
- Provides access to Eurostar Business Premier Lounges at St Pancras International, Paris Gare du Nord, Brussels Midi/Zuid, and Ebbsfleet International
- Provides access to The Centurion Lounge. Current Centurion Lounge locations include Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), New York LaGuardia (LGA), Miami (MIA), Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) and San Francisco (SFO)
- Provides access to International American Express Lounges locations including Delhi (DEL), Buenos Aires (EZE), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey (MTY), Toluca (TLC), Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), and Hong Kong (HKG)
- Provides access to Virgin Australia Lounges when flying Virgin
- Offers Priority Pass Select membership
- Provides $200 annually in statement credits for airline incidental fees such as checked bags and airport lounge day passes
- Provides up to $200 Uber Savings Annually
- Up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue
- No foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees)
- Provides Marriott Rewards Gold Elite Status
- Provides Hilton Honors Gold Status
- Provides Avis Preferred status
- Provides Hertz Gold Plus Rewards status
- Provides National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
- $100 application fee credit for Global Entry membership
- Access to FINE HOTELS & RESORTS properties, which can result in upgrades, hotel credits, and VIP experiences
- Provides access to exclusive Amex Platinum concierge
- Provides access to Platinum Dining Program, which can help you secure reservations at over 1,000 of the most acclaimed restaurants in the world
- Provides access to Cruise Privilege Program, which ensures you will receive valuable amenities on sailings of five nights or more
- Provides access to Premium Roadside Assistance, which enables you to receive roadside assistance at no additional cost up to four times per calendar year
If you were to place a value on the benefits combined, there is no question that value would significantly exceed the $550 annual fee of the Amex Platinum. The question is whether you can take advantage of enough of those benefits to make the annual fee worth it. If the answer is yes, then this is certainly a card you should consider.
The Amex Platinum has long been one of the top rewards cards on the market. Its number of benefits probably exceeds those offered by almost any other card publicly available. If you can regularly take advantage of at least three or four of these perks, then the Amex Platinum is likely well worth your investment.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.