AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Using your monthly Uber Credit associated with the The Platinum Card® from American Express (Terms Apply), just got a little easier. Amex recently sent out emails to cardholders stating that the $15 monthly uber credit will be automatically applied to the first ride you take every month. This is a change from before when the monthly credit was added to your Uber cash balance, and you had to remember to go and select this as your method of payment to use the credit.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 5X points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel, and on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com
How to Enable the New Feature
To take advantage of the new functionality you will need to update your Uber app is one of the following versions:
- For iOS users, they need to ensure that their Uber app is version 3.363.10000 or later.
- For Android users, they need to ensure their Uber app is version 4.274.10000 or later.
Once you have the correct version of the app, you must ensure that you have selected your Amex Platinum or Centurion card as the method of payment in your Uber App. After completing these steps, your Amex Uber credit should be automatically credited and used at the beginning of every month. You can learn more on Uber's dedicated page for the benefit.
The American Express Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month. This is a use-it-or-lose-it benefit, so make sure to take a ride or order something from UberEats (also eligible for the benefit) by the end of the month.
We welcome any development that simplifies using a credit card benefit. The Amex Platinum has an impressive list of features. Of the benefits that come in the form of a statement credit, most can be maximized with a few strategic purchases. For example, the Saks Fifth Avenue credit of $50, twice per year can be used with a purchase in January and one in July. (And good luck spending less than $50 on a purchase from Saks.) The Uber credit is a bit of an exception, requiring monthly attention to capture the full value.
We'd love to see these credits roll over from month to month, but that doesn't look likely. The old system of crediting your Uber Cash balance was overly complicated, so this is a small, but solid win.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.