AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Using your monthly Uber Credit associated with the The Platinum Card® from American Express, just got a little easier. Amex recently sent out emails to cardholders stating that the $15 monthly uber credit will be automatically applied to the first ride you take every month. This is a change from before when the monthly credit was added to your Uber cash balance, and you had to remember to go and select this as your method of payment to use the credit.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (up to $500,000 in purchases per calendar year).
- Earn 5X points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- New Cardmembers: Earn 10X points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
How to Enable the New Feature
To take advantage of the new functionality you will need to update your Uber app is one of the following versions:
- For iOS users, they need to ensure that their Uber app is version 3.363.10000 or later.
- For Android users, they need to ensure their Uber app is version 4.274.10000 or later.
Once you have the correct version of the app, you must ensure that you have selected your Amex Platinum or Centurion card as the method of payment in your Uber App. After completing these steps, your Amex Uber credit should be automatically credited and used at the beginning of every month.
The American Express Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month. This is a use-it-or-lose-it benefit, so make sure to take a ride or order something from UberEats (also eligible for the benefit) by the end of the month.
We welcome any development that simplifies using a credit card benefit. The Amex Platinum has an impressive list of features. Of the benefits that come in the form of a statement credit, most can be maximized with a few strategic purchases. For example, the Saks Fifth Avenue credit of $50, twice per year can be used with a purchase in January and one in July. (And good luck spending less than $50 on a purchase from Saks.) The Uber credit is a bit of an exception, requiring monthly attention to capture the full value.
We'd love to see these credits rollover from month to month, but that doesn't look likely. The old system of crediting your Uber Cash balance was overly complicated, so this is a small, but solid win.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.