AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Express consistently delivers top business cards that are popular and offer great perks. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is no exception. The card offers luxury benefits for business travelers, and you can earn 120,000 bonus Membership Rewards when you open a new account.
- Welcome Offer: Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, 0% Intro APR for 12 months from the date of the account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After that, your APR will be 14.24% to 22.24% based on your credit worthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases in key business categories, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else. Cap applies.
- Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases with your Card, including up to $400 with Dell Technologies, up to $360 with Indeed, up to $150 with Adobe and up to $120 on wireless telephone purchases. Enrollment required.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- Access to more than 1,300 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting with The American Express Global Lounge Collection®. More lounge options than any other credit card on the market as of 8/2020.
- $595 Annual Fee ($695 if application is received on or after 01/13/2022).
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. construction material and hardware suppliers.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. shipping providers.
- 1.5X earning rates are subject to a cap of $2 million in purchases per calendar year.
The current increased offer for the Business Platinum Card is the best publicly-available bonus we've seen in years. Amex does run occasional targeted offers that award more bonus points to the customers they most want to attract, but this offer is a great opportunity for everyone else.
In addition to a big haul of valuable Membership Rewards, new cardmembers can also take advantage of an introductory 0% APR for 12 months from the date of account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After, a Variable APR of 14.24% - 22.24% will apply. (Rates & Fees)
Increased Ability to Earn Points
Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases in key business categories, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else. Cap applies. You'll receive one point for every dollar spent on any other purchase category.
The 1.5X earning rate on key business categories is a new benefit added in late 2021. It includes eligible purchases with U.S.-based:
- Construction material and hardware suppliers
- Electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers
- Shipping providers.
If you're a big spender, purchases of $5,000 or more (in any category) earn a 50% bonus, providing an effective earn rate of 1.5 Membership Rewards per dollar spent on these larger transactions. The Business Platinum Card‘s 1.5X earning rates are subject to a cap of up to $2 million of these purchases each calendar year.
The most commonly cited drawback with the Business Platinum Card is the high annual fee of $595 ($695 if application is received on or after 1/13/2022) (Rates & Fees), which is not waived for the first year. However, if you can use even a fraction of its benefits, the Business Platinum Card can deliver excellent long-term value.
Excellent Travel Perks
First, you get an airline credit of up to $200 per year for incidental purchases made on the airline of your choice. This includes inflight purchases like meals, drinks, and Wi-Fi, plus other costs like checked bag, change, or upgrade fees. Enrollment is required for select Amex benefits.
You'll also receive complimentary elite status in multiple loyalty programs including Hilton Honors and Marriott Rewards.
As a cardholder, you have access to over 1,000 different airport lounges worldwide, allowing you to relax far more comfortably while you wait for your flight. This includes a full Priority Pass Select membership, and access to American Express Centurion Lounges, considered the best lounges in the US by most travelers due to the high-quality food and wine on offer, and even complimentary massages in some locations. Lounge access privileges include:
- Delta Sky Club when flying Delta
- Airspace Lounges, Plaza Premium Lounges, and one-off lounges like the Pontus In The Air lounge in Stockholm (ARN)
- Lufthansa Lounges in Munich and Frankfurt when traveling on Lufthansa, Swiss, and Austrian
- Eurostar Business Premier Lounges at St Pancras International, Paris Gare du Nord, Brussels Midi/Zuid, and Ebbsfleet International
- The Centurion Lounge. Current Centurion Lounge locations include Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), New York LaGuardia (LGA), Miami (MIA), Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) and San Francisco (SFO)
- International American Express Lounges locations including Delhi (DEL), Buenos Aires (EZE), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey (MTY), Toluca (TLC), Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), and Hong Kong (HKG)
- Virgin Australia Lounges when flying Virgin
- Full Priority Pass Select membership
- Enrollment is required for select Amex benefits.
Another great perk offered by the Business Platinum Card is an application credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓, once every four years, which has a value of up to $100 and will add up over time if you take advantage of this perk.
Redeeming Membership Rewards
The Business Platinum Card works best when you use your points for travel rewards, either through the Membership Rewards portal or by transferring to travel partners. You can redeem for other rewards, including gift cards, a statement credit, Amazon.com, and Uber purchases, but you get the best value using the points for travel.
You can transfer Membership Rewards points to Delta, British Airways, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic, Alitalia, Cathay Asia Miles, Etihad, Aeroplan, and many more. The hotel transfer partners are Hilton, Choice, and Marriott.
The Business Platinum Card also gives you a 35% points rebate when you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and all First and Business class flights available through American Express Travel. The standard limit to this benefit is 500,000 points per year. However, big spenders are eligible for an increased cap on the points rebate.
And remember, if you ever need a hand with an award booking, take a look at AwardWallet's award booking service.
If you are a frequent business traveler, then The Business Platinum Card® from American Express may be perfect for you. If you've got big business expenses, this card has great perks that will deliver value far more than its annual fee.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.