AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promo has ended.
American Airlines just published its latest set of destinations for its popular Reduced Mileage Awards (RMA) promotion. If you're unfamiliar, AA Reduced Mileage Awards provide a mileage discount for most co-brand cardholders. Depending on which card you have and the distance of your trip, you’ll save anywhere from 1,000 to 7,500 miles off of a round-trip award ticket.
What are Reduced Mileage Awards?
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards are discounted award tickets to and from select cities for American Airlines co-branded credit cardholders. The list of eligible airports depends on the month, and the number of miles you save depends on the flight distance and which AAdvantage credit card you hold.
- Nonstop flights under 500 miles are discounted either 1,000 or 500 miles each way.
- All other domestic flights are discounted either 3,750 or 2,500 miles each way.
You can take advantage of the promotion if either your destination or origin airport is on AA's Reduced Mileage Award list for the month you're traveling. It's also worth emphasizing that you can use this promotion for both round-trip and one-way award flights.
A 7,500-mile discount may not sound incredible. However, if you value American miles at 1.5 cents each, the Reduced Mileage Award discount provides a savings of around $113 worth of miles for just one round-trip per passenger. That alone can offset the annual fee on many of the eligible cards. The savings can really add up if you're able to use it a few times a year and/or if you travel with a significant other or family.
Which Cities Are Included on the Reduced Mileage Awards List?
The current list is valid for flights from June 1, 2021 through September 30, 2021. However, you need to book travel by July 31, 2021. On August 1, 2021, American Airlines will roll out a new list of eligible airports.
The latest list of eligible airports covers an impressive 185 unique airports, though this breaks a streak of 200+ available airports on lists beginning in December of 2020. This time around, over 100 airports are available for three of the four months.
Below we've gathered a few of the highlights for each month, with maps to paint a picture. While travel restrictions still in place, be sure to proceed cautiously when booking flights. But thankfully, American Airlines has eliminated award cancellation fees.
Which Cards Are Eligible for AA Reduced Mileage Awards?
The full list of eligible cards can be found on American Airlines' website—including several cards that are no longer available to new cardholders. Cards that offer the full 7,500-mile discount and are still available to new cardholders include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®
The eligibility rules and booking processes are the same for both Barclays and Citi cards.
Even better, this card gives you access to Reduced Mileage Awards, which can save you up to 30% on the miles required for domestic awards. With these perks, it's easy to justify the annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months.
- Free checked bags for you and up to 4 companions on domestic itineraries
- Priority boarding to help you win the race for overhead bin space
- A 25% discount on inflight food, beverage, and Wi-Fi purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards can save you 7,500 miles on roundtrip MileSAAver Awards
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at restaurants
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at gas stations
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Reduced Mileage Awards – Airports for June 2021
Not Pictured: Calgary, AB (YYC); Vancouver, BC (YVR)
June offerings include 88 different airports, mostly concentrated in the eastern and southern portions of the country, eligible for AA Reduced Mileage Awards. Though June features the fewest airports out of the four included months, some great destinations remain as options:
- Asheville, NC (AVL)
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
- Las Vegas, NV (LAS)
- Nantucket, MA (ACK)
- St. Louis, MO (STL)
- Toronto, ON (YYZ)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for July 2021
Not Pictured: Vancouver, BC (YVR)
The month of July features 114 of the 185 included Reduced Mileage Award airports. Airports along the Gulf Coast feature particularly heavily this month, though much of the South and Midwest enjoy plentiful coverage too. Notable cities include the following:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Austin, TX (AUS)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- San Francisco, CA (SFO)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for August 2021
August includes an astounding 151 airports, the most in a single month on the latest Reduced Mileage Award list. Despite the sharp increase in airports offered, the Pacific Northwest remains sparsely covered, even though this month offers the best coverage of the area. Cities of interest include the following:
- Detroit, MI (DTW)
- Kansas City, MO (MCI)
- Martha's Vineyard, MA (MVY)
- Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN (MSP)
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
- Seattle, WA (SEA)
- Vancouver, BC (YVR)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for September 2021
Although September includes 116 airports for Reduced Mileage Awards, these airports are once again concentrated along the East coast and in the Midwest. A number of great options exist for a potential Labor Day getaway. Notable cities include the following:
- Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
- Monterey, CA (MRY)
- Nashville, TN (BNA)
- Providence, RI (PVD)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
- Wilmington, NC (ILM)
How To Book Reduced Mileage Awards
We've covered how to book a Reduced Mileage Award in full detail here. But here's a quick overview:
- Check award availability. You'll need an economy or business-class “MileSAAver award”, so you might want to use ExpertFlyer to identify award space. If you search using American Airlines' website, you're looking for options that cost 12,500 miles in economy (7,500 miles on nonstop route under 500 miles).
- Find the discount code that applies to your American Airlines co-brand card on this page.
- Call American Airlines reservations at 1-800-882-8880 (American Airlines has eliminated fees for booking awards over the phone).
- For the list of cities linked above, you must book by July 31, 2021 for travel before September 30, 2021.
- There must be a MileSAAver award available for the flight you wish to book.
- Award travel must originate and terminate in the 48 contiguous United States or Canada.
- Travel can be in Main Cabin or First Class. The discount is the same regardless of your class of service.
- You don't need both your origin and destination to be on the list; either city will make your trip eligible.
- One-way awards can be booked for half the discount of a round trip.
Pro Tip: British Airways Avios can also be redeemed for travel on American Airlines. If your itinerary is a nonstop flight, it may cheaper to book with Avios. British Airways used to offer lower fees for canceling or changing awards, though this recently changed when American Airlines eliminated mileage reinstatement and change fees on award bookings.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are another great way to find discounted AAdvantage award tickets for flights on American Airlines. Even if your travel plans don't match up right now, the cities change every two months. So, it's worth bookmarking this post so you can check back regularly.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.