AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines has published a new set of destinations for its popular Reduced Mileage Awards promotion—an ongoing award sale, allowing you to book discounted award tickets through to March 31, 2020. This offer is specifically targeted for folks that have Citi or Barclaycard American Airlines credit cards. Depending on which card you have, you’ll save anywhere from 1,000–7,500 miles for a round-trip ticket.
What are Reduced Mileage Awards?
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards are discounted award tickets to and from select cities for AAdvantage co-branded credit cardholders. Destinations change every month, and the miles you save depends on the flight distance and which AAdvantage credit card you hold.
- Itineraries with a distance of 500+ (nautical) miles will get a 7,500 or 2,000-mile discount
- Shorter flights will get a 5,000 or 1,000-mile discount.
If either your destination or origin airport is on the Reduced Mileage Award list for the month you're traveling, you can take advantage of this deal. It's also worth noting that you can use this promotion for one-way flights and get half the discount that would apply to a round trip.
Which Cities Are Included On The List?
The current list is valid from December 1, 2019 through March 31, 2020. American's Terms & Conditions state that awards must be booked by January 31st, but we expect that the deadline will be extended in early February for cities listed for February and March travel dates.
The latest list is extensive, covering 164 airports. Below we've gathered a few of the highlights.
- Burbank, CA (BUR)
- Cincinnati, OH/Covington, KY (CVG)
- Hilton Head Island, SC (HHH)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- Indianapolis, IN (IND)
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
- Nashville, TN (BNA)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
- San Antonio, TX (SAT)
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Steamboat Springs/Hayden, CO (HDN)
- Vail/Eagle, CO (EGE)
How To Book Reduced Mileage Awards
We've covered how to book a Reduced Mileage Award in more detail, but here's a quick overview:
- Check award availability on American Airlines' website. (You'll need an economy or business-class “saver award”)
- Find the discount code that applies to your American Airlines co-brand card
- Call American Airlines reservations at 1-800-882-8880 (A phone booking fee, $30, will not be charged as there is no mechanism to complete this booking online).
- For the list of cities linked above, you must book by January 31 for travel before March 31, 2020.
- There must be a MileSAAver award available for the flight you wish to book.
- Award travel must originate in the 48 contiguous United States or Canada.
- Travel can be in Main Cabin or First Class; the discount is the same regardless of your class of service.
- You don't need both your origin and destination to be on the list; either city will make your trip eligible.
- One-way awards can be booked for half the discount of a round trip.
- American will still charge the $75 booking fee on awards booked less than 21 days prior to departure. This fee is waived for AAdvantage elite members when they are using miles from their account.
- American allows free date changes on awards when your origin and destination stay the same; however, date changes on Reduced Mileage Awards are limited to the dates your airport is on the list.
Reduced Mileage Awards are another great way to find discounted AAdvantage award tickets for flights on American Airlines. Even if your travel plans don't match up right now, the cities change on a regular basis, so it is worth bookmarking this post so you can check back regularly.
Pro Tip: British Airways Avios points can also be redeemed for travel on American Airlines. If your itinerary is a nonstop flight, it's often cheaper to book with Avios (and you'll also avoid a $75 close-in-booking fee for flights booked less than 21 days before departure.)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.