AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines has published its latest set of destinations for its popular Reduced Mileage Awards (RMA) promotion. If you're unfamiliar, AA Reduced Mileage Awards provide a mileage discount for most co-brand cardholders. Depending on which card you have, you’ll save anywhere from 1,000 to 7,500 miles off of a round-trip award ticket.
What are Reduced Mileage Awards?
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards are discounted award tickets to and from select cities for American Airlines co-branded credit cardholders. The list of eligible airports depends on the month, and the number of miles you save depends on the flight distance and which AAdvantage credit card you hold.
- Nonstop flights under 500 miles are discounted either 1,000 or 500 miles each way.
- Longer and connecting flights are discounted either 3,750 or 2,500 miles each way.
You can take advantage of the promotion if either your destination or origin airport is on AA's Reduced Mileage Award list for the month you're traveling. It's also worth emphasizing that you can use this promotion for both round-trip and one-way award flights.
A 7,500-mile discount may not sound that incredible. However, if you value American miles at 1.5 cents each, the Reduced Mileage Award discount provides a savings of around $113 worth of miles for just one round-trip per passenger. That alone can offset the annual fee on some of the eligible cards. The savings can really add up if you're able to use it a few times a year or for more than one passenger.
Which Cities Are Included On The List?
The current list is valid for flights from December 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021. However, you need to book travel by January 31, 2021. On February 1, 2021, American Airlines will roll out a new list of eligible airports.
The latest list of eligible airports covers a staggering 212 unique airports, including 37 that feature in all available months. Interestingly, March 2021 includes 210 of the 212 available airports for Reduced Mileage Awards at this time, including four in Canada! That's the most expansive Reduced Mileage Award list that we've seen in the years we've covered this program. Below we've gathered a few of the highlights for each month, with maps to paint a picture.
While travel restrictions continue to ease, be sure to proceed cautiously when booking any flights.
Which Cards Are Eligible?
The full list of eligible cards can be found on American Airlines' website—including several cards that are no longer available to new cardholders. Cards that offer the full 7,500-mile discount and are still available to new cardholders include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®
The eligibility rules and booking processes for Barclays and Citi cards are the same.
Even better, this card gives you access to Reduced Mileage Awards, which can save you up to 30% on the miles required for domestic awards. With these perks, it's easy to justify the annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months.
- Free checked bags for you and up to 4 companions on domestic itineraries
- Priority boarding to help you win the race for overhead bin space
- A 25% discount on inflight food, beverage, and Wi-Fi purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards can save you 7,500 miles on roundtrip MileSAAver Awards
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at restaurants
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at gas stations
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Reduced Mileage Awards – Airports for December 2020
Not Pictured: Jackson Hole, WY (JAC)
December offerings include 87 airports across the country eligible for AA Reduced Mileage Awards. That's not bad, but it represents the least number of the four months available in this round. A few of the destinations to consider when making prospective travel plans include:
- Key West, FL (EYW)
- Louisville, KY (SDF)
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Vail / Eagle, CO (EGE)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for January 2021
The list of January destinations shoots up to 157 airports for the start of 2021, giving prospective fliers an expanded chance to take advantage of Reduced Mileage Awards. Notable cities include the following:
- Charleston, SC (CHS)
- Cincinnati, OH / Covington, KY (CVG)
- Colorado Springs, CO (COS)
- Detroit, MI (DTW)
- Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
- Raleigh / Durham, NC (RDU)
- Tucson, AZ (TUS)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for February 2021
The list of February destinations includes 121 airports, a slight reduction from the prior month. Cities of interest include the following:
- Asheville, NC (AVL)
- Aspen, CO (ASE)
- Houston-Hobby, TX (HOU)
- Indianapolis, IN (IND)
- Kansas City, MO (MCI)
- Pittsburgh, PA (PIT)
- San Antonio, TX (SAT)
- San Jose, CA (SJC)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for March 2021
March 2021 destinations include an astounding 210 airports, including four north of the border and many well-traveled domestic ones. And since you can start or end in any of these cities, you can fly domestically to an incredibly diverse selection of destinations. Notable cities include the following:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Calgary, AB (YYC)
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- Las Vegas, NV (LAS)
- Montreal, QC (YUL)
- Portland, OR (PDX)
- San Diego, CA (SAN)
- San Francisco, CA (SFO)
- Seattle, WA (SEA)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- Toronto, ON (YYZ)
- Vancouver, BC (YVR)
How To Book Reduced Mileage Awards
We've covered how to book a Reduced Mileage Award in full detail here. But here's a quick overview:
- Check award availability on American Airlines' website. (You'll need an economy or business-class “MileSAAver award”, so you might want to use the legacy award search tool)
- Find the discount code that applies to your American Airlines co-brand card on this page.
- Call American Airlines reservations at 1-800-882-8880 (American Airlines has eliminated fees for booking awards over the phone).
- For the list of cities linked above, you must book by January 31, 2021 for travel before March 31, 2021.
- There must be a MileSAAver award available for the flight you wish to book.
- Award travel must originate and terminate in the 48 contiguous United States or Canada.
- Travel can be in Main Cabin or First Class. The discount is the same regardless of your class of service.
- You don't need both your origin and destination to be on the list; either city will make your trip eligible.
- One-way awards can be booked for half the discount of a round trip.
Pro Tip: British Airways Avios points can also be redeemed for travel on American Airlines. If your itinerary is a nonstop flight, it may cheaper to book with Avios. British Airways used to offer lower fees for canceling or changing awards, though this recently changed when American Airlines eliminated reinstatement and change fees on award bookings.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are another great way to find discounted AAdvantage award tickets for flights on American Airlines. Even if your travel plans don't match up right now, the cities change every two months. So, it's worth bookmarking this post so you can check back regularly.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.