AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines has published a new set of destinations for its popular Reduced Mileage Awards promotion. If you're unfamiliar, AA Reduced Mileage Awards provide a mileage discount for most co-brand cardholders. Depending on which card you have, you’ll save anywhere from 1,000 to 7,500 miles off of a round-trip award ticket.
What are Reduced Mileage Awards?
American Airlines Reduced Mileage Awards are discounted award tickets to and from select cities for American Airlines co-branded credit cardholders. The list of eligible airports depends on the month, and the number of miles you save depends on the flight distance and which AAdvantage credit card you hold.
- Nonstop flights under 500 miles are discounted either 1,000 or 500 miles each way.
- Longer and connecting flights are discounted either 3,750 or 2,500 miles each way.
You can take advantage of the promotion if either your destination or origin airport is on AA's Reduced Mileage Award list for the month you're traveling. It's also worth emphasizing that you can use this promotion for both round-trip and one-way award flights.
A 7,500-mile discount may not sound that incredible. However, if you value American miles at 1.5 cents each, the Reduced Mileage Award discount provides a savings of around $113 worth of miles for just one round-trip per passenger. That alone can offset the annual fee on some of the eligible cards. The savings can really add up if you're able to use it a few times a year or for more than one passenger.
Which Cities Are Included On The List?
The current list is valid for flights from August 1, 2020 through November 30, 2020. However, you need to book travel by September 30. On October 1, American Airlines rolls the list over and selects new cities.
The latest list of eligible airports covers 164 unique airports, including 73 that feature in all available months. While travel restrictions continue to ease, be sure to proceed cautiously when booking any flights. Below we've gathered a few of the highlights for each month, with maps to paint a picture. The month of September alone includes 141 airports!
Which Cards Are Eligible?
The full list of eligible cards can be found on American Airlines' website—including several cards that are no longer available to new cardholders. Cards that offer the full 7,500-mile discount and are still available to new cardholders include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®
The eligibility rules and booking processes for Barclays and Citi Reduced Mileage Awards are the same.
- Free checked bags for you and up to 4 companions on domestic itineraries
- Priority boarding to help you win the race for overhead bin space
- A 25% discount on inflight food, beverage, and Wi-Fi purchases
- Reduced Mileage Awards can save you 7,500 miles on roundtrip MileSAAver Awards
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on cable and satellite providers
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent at gas stations
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on select telecommunications merchants
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on car rentals
- Earn 2X miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 1X mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Reduced Mileage Awards – Airports for August
Not pictured: Eugene, OR (EUG)
August offerings include 98 airports across the country eligible for AA Reduced Mileage Awards. A few of the destinations to consider when making prospective travel plans include:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Houston, TX (HOU)
- Monterey, CA (MRY)
- New Orleans, LA (MSY)
- St. Louis, MO (STL)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for September
Not pictured: Redmond / Bend, OR (RDM)
While the list of September destinations includes a staggering 141 airports, these are largely confined to the eastern half of the country. Notable cities include the following:
- Detroit, MI (DTW)
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
- Minneapolis / St. Paul, MN (MSP)
- Oklahoma City, OK (OKC)
- Reno, NV (RNO)
- San Antonio, TX (SAT)
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for October
The list of October destinations includes 104 airports and slightly expands west coast options:
- Burbank, CA (BUR)
- Cleveland, OH (CLE)
- Houston-Hobby, TX (HOU)
- Kalispell, MT (FCA)
- Louisville, KY (SDF)
- Reno, NV (RNO)
Reduced Mileage Awards – Eligible Airports for November
November destinations include a plentiful 127 airports. And since you can start or end in any of these cities, you can fly domestically to a wide array of destinations. Notable cities include the following:
- Bozeman, MT (BZN)
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
- Houston-Hobby, TX (HOU)
- Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
- Nashville, TN (BNA)
- Raleigh / Durham, NC (RDU)
- Salt Lake City, UT (SLC)
- Vail/Eagle, CO (EGE)
How To Book Reduced Mileage Awards
We've covered how to book a Reduced Mileage Award in full detail here. But here's a quick overview:
- Check award availability on American Airlines' website. (You'll need an economy or business-class “MileSAAver award”, so you might want to use the legacy award search tool)
- Find the discount code that applies to your American Airlines co-brand card on this page.
- Call American Airlines reservations at 1-800-882-8880 (A phone booking fee of $30 will not be charged as there is no way to complete this booking online).
- For the list of cities linked above, you must book by September 30 for travel before November 30, 2020.
- There must be a MileSAAver award available for the flight you wish to book.
- Award travel must originate and terminate in the 48 contiguous United States or Canada.
- Travel can be in Main Cabin or First Class. The discount is the same regardless of your class of service.
- You don't need both your origin and destination to be on the list; either city will make your trip eligible.
- One-way awards can be booked for half the discount of a round trip.
Pro Tip: British Airways Avios points can also be redeemed for travel on American Airlines. If your itinerary is a nonstop flight, it may cheaper to book with Avios. Plus, British Airways generally has lower fees for canceling or changing awards.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are another great way to find discounted AAdvantage award tickets for flights on American Airlines. Even if your travel plans don't match up right now, the cities change on a regular basis, so it is worth bookmarking this post so you can check back regularly.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.