AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines/Citibank co-branded credit card holders have long enjoyed a little-known benefit: the Reduced Mileage Awards. The value of these awards depends on the type of AA co-branded credit card you hold, your destination and class of service. Discounts range from 1,000 to 7,500 miles roundtrip.
Overview Of AA Reduced Mileage Awards
These awards are relatively easy to take advantage of, but they do require a little effort for the savings:
- Discount is valid for one-way and roundtrip MileSAAver awards
- Bookings must be made by September 30, 2018
- Travel dates are August 1, through November 30, 2018
- Travel must originate in the 48 contiguous US or Canada
- The offer applies to various destinations on AA’s schedule, which are updated every month — full list of participating destinations
- Bookings need to be made via AA reservations (1-800-882-8880), or through an AA travel center. (Phone booking fees are waived in this instance)
A complete list of airports is available, and there are plenty of options across the country. Some destinations include:
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
- Louisville, KY (SDF)
- Columbus, OH (CMH)
- Charleston, WV (CRW)
- Richmond, VA (RIC)
- Raleigh/Durham, NC (RDU)
- Omaha, NE (OMA)
- Memphis, TN (MEM)
- Key West, FL (EYW)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- Springfield, IL (SPI)
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
- Longview, TX (GGG)
- Long Beach, CA (LGB)
- Dayton, OH (DAY)
- Monroe, LA (MLU)
- Mobile, AL (MOB)
- Lafayette, LA (LFT)
- Jackson, MS (JAN)
- Birmingham, AL (BHM)
Keep in mind that the list of airports is extensive, and these are just some of the options. Some destinations are only participating in one month of the promotion, while others are participating in all four months of the promotion.
How To Leverage AA Reduced Mileage Awards
Depending on the card you hold, you can be eligible for either:
- A discount of 7,500 miles for roundtrip flights over 500 miles, or 2,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles
- A discount of 5,000 miles for roundtrip flights over 500 miles, and 1,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles
Leveraging an AA Reduced Mileage Award is relatively straightforward (See our guide to booking AA Reduced Mileage Awards). Once you have determined the level of your discount, discount code, and destination (from the full list of participating airports), you can call AA reservations on 1-800-882-8880 to complete your reservation.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are a little-known benefit of being a Citi/AA co-branded cardmember. The fact that they're not bookable online and that destinations change regularly make it something that we're confident most people don't use, which is a shame. This month the promotion covers a good part of summer, so it is worth cross-checking if any destination works with your vacation plans.
If you have an eligible AA co-branded credit card, make sure you bookmark AA Reduced Mileage Awards and give it a quick check before you redeem your miles. Even though AA typically charges a booking fee for phone bookings, they'll waive it for these awards as you cannot book them online.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.