AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines/Citibank co-branded credit card holders have long enjoyed a little-known benefit: Reduced Mileage Awards. The value of these awards depends on the type of AA co-branded credit card you hold, your destination and class of service. Discounts range from 1,000 to 7,500 miles roundtrip.
Overview of AA Reduced Mileage Awards
These awards are relatively easy to take advantage of, but they do require a little effort for the savings:
- Discount is valid for one-way and round-trip MileSAAver awards
- Bookings must be made by January 31, 2018
- Travel dates are between December 1, 2017, and March 31, 2018
- Travel must originate in the 48 contiguous US states or Canada
- The offer applies to various destinations on AA’s schedule, which are updated every month — full list of participating destinations
- Bookings need to be made via AA reservations, or through an AA travel center. (phone booking fees are waived in this instance)
A complete list of airports is available, and there are plenty of options across the country. Some destinations include:
- Baton Rouge, LA (BTR)
- Dayton, OH (DAY)
- Indianapolis, IN (IND)
- Memphis, TN (MEM)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- Austin, TX (AUS)
- Buffalo, NY (BUF)
- Charleston, SC (CHS)
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)
- Oakland, CA (OAK)
- Bakersfield, CA (BFL)
- Cleveland, OH (CLE)
- Denver, CO (DEN)
- Little Rock, AR (LIT)
- Mobile, AL (MOB)
- San Francisco, CA (SFO)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
- Aspen, CO (ASE)
- Detroit, MI (DTW)
- Grand Rapids, MI (GRR)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- Long Beach, CA (LGB)
- Montgomery, AL (MGM)
- Springfield, IL (SPI)
Keep in mind that the list of airports is extensive, and these are just some of the options. Some destinations are only participating in one month of the promotion, while others are participating in all four months of the promotion.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are a little-known benefit of being a Citi/AA co-branded cardmember. The fact that they're not bookable online and that destinations change regularly make it something that we're confident most people don't use, which is a shame.
If you have an eligible AA co-branded credit card, make sure you bookmark AA Reduced Mileage Awards and give it a quick check before you look to redeem your miles. Even though AA typically charges a booking fee for phone bookings, they'll waive it for these awards as you cannot book them online.
Source: AA Reduced Mileage Awards
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.