AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Airlines/Citibank co-branded credit card holders have long enjoyed a little-known benefit: Reduced Mileage Awards. The value of these awards depends on the type of AA co-branded credit card you hold, your destination and class of service. Discounts range from 1,000 to 7,500 miles per roundtrip.
Overview Of AA Reduced Mileage Awards
These awards are relatively easy to take advantage of, but they do require a little effort for the savings:
- Discount is valid for one-way and round-trip MileSAAver awards
- Bookings must be made by March 31, 2018
- Travel dates are February 1 through May 31, 2018
- Travel must originate in the 48 contiguous US or Canada
- The offer applies to various destinations on AA’s schedule, which are updated every month — full list of participating destinations
- Bookings need to be made via AA reservations, or through an AA travel center (phone booking fees are waived in this instance)
A complete list of airports is available and there are plenty of options across the country. Some destinations include:
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
- Little Rock, AR (LIT)
- Long Beach, CA (LGB)
- Mobile, AL (MOB)
- Houston-Intercontinental, TX (IAH)
- Raleigh / Durham, NC (RDU)
- Sacramento, CA (SMF)
- San Francisco, CA (SFO)
- Indianapolis, IN (IND)
- Oakland, CA (OAK)
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Baltimore, MD (BWI)
- Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
- San Jose, CA (SJC)
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA)
- Savannah, GA (SAV)
- Atlanta, GA (ATL)
- Corpus Christi, TX (CRP)
- Monterey, CA (MRY)
- Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
- Tampa, FL (TPA)
- West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)
- Salt Lake City, UT (SLC)
- Springfield, IL (SPI)
- Wichita Falls, TX (SPS)
Keep in mind that the list of airports is extensive, and these are just some of the options. Some destinations are only participating in one month, while others are participating in all four months of the promotion.
How To Leverage AA Reduced Mileage Awards
To take advantage of the offer you need to follow a few simple steps. First, you need to determine what discount you are eligible for depending on the co-branded card you hold. Holders of the following cards will receive a discount of 7,500 miles for flights over 500 miles, or 2,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles:
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ MasterCard®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express®
- CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Select Visa®
- CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Select MasterCard®
- CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Silver World Elite Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Business Mastercard®
Alternatively, holders of the following cards will receive a discount of 5,000 miles for flights over 500 miles, and 1,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles:
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Gold American Express®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Gold Visa®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ MasterCard®
- AAdvantage® Aviator® Blue Mastercard®
Once you have found your eligible discount, you need to find your appropriate discount code, which depends on the class of service you want.
Finally, before you can book your flight, you need to confirm that your destination is participating in your desired month of travel. Once confirmed call 800-882-8880 to complete your reservation.
AA Reduced Mileage Awards are a little-known benefit of being a Citi/AA co-branded cardmember. The fact that they're not bookable online and that destinations change regularly make it something that we're confident most people don't use, which is a shame.
If you have an eligible AA co-branded credit card, make sure you bookmark AA Reduced Mileage Awards and give it a quick check before you look to redeem your miles. Even though AA typically charges a booking fee for phone bookings, they'll waive it for these awards as you cannot book them online.
Source: AA Reduced Mileage Awards
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.