AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
American Express recently launched a slew of transfer bonus promotions, including a 15% bonus when you transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Air Canada Aeroplan. The promotion is valid for transfer through September 30, 2022. To see the promotion, all you have to do is log into your American Express Account.
- Receive a 15% bonus when you transfer Membership Rewards Points to Air Canada Aeroplan.
- The promotion is valid for transfer through September 30, 2022.
- The bonus is hard coded in the transfer. That means you will receive 1,150 Aeroplan points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points you transfer.
- The minimum per transfer is 1,000 points. The maximum transfer is 999,999 points.
- Transfers are conducted in 1,000 Membership Rewards point increments.
- Allow up to 48 hours for the points to post to your Air Canada Aeroplan account.
Maximizing Your Air Canada Aeroplan points
Even though Aeroplan slightly tweaked its award pricing from September 1, 2022, it is still an excellent program for award redemptions. The program has plenty of sweet spots, whether flying internationally or within North America. A quick look at the Aeroplan award chart and you can see that some of the redemption sweet spots include:
- Business class transatlantic awards under 4,000 miles (JFK to Frankfurt, for instance) for 60,000 points plus taxes and fees each way.
- Business class awards within South America for starting at 20,000 Aeroplan points plus taxes and fees each way.
- Transpacific awards under 5,000 miles (Seattle to Tokyo, for instance) for 55,000 Aeroplan points plus taxes and fees each way.
How Does The Deal Stack Up?
A 15% bonus transferring Membership Rewards to Aeroplan points is standard these days. The same promotion was offered in September 2021 and featured a 15% bonus.
American Express typically offers one transfer bonus to Aeroplan per year. It has done so since 2017 — except for 2020 when no bonuses were offered due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Generally, the bonus ranged from 10 to 20%, although 15% has been more typical recently. Also, some of the older transfer bonus promotions were targeted. A brief history of Amex transfer bonus promos to Aeroplan is as follows:
- December 2017 saw a targeted 10 to 20% offer.
- November 2018 saw a targeted 10 to 20% offer.
- May 2019 saw a targeted 10 to 20% offer.
- December 2019 saw a targeted 10 to 20% offer.
- September 2021 saw a 15% bonus on offer.
Boosting Your Air Canada Aeroplan Points Balance
You have options if you don’t have enough Membership Rewards points in your account for a specific redemption — even after the transfer bonus. Air Canada Aeroplan is one of the few North American Airline programs that is partnered with multiple flexible point currencies. You can boost your Aeroplan points balance by transferring any of the following point currencies:
- Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio.
- Capital One miles transfer to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio
- Marriott Bonvoy points transfer to Aeroplan at a 3:1 ratio
In addition, you can transfer points from the new kid on the block: the Bilt Rewards points program. Transfers are also at a 1:1 ratio with a minimum transfer of 1,000 points.
While a transfer bonus is exciting, it is worth remembering that it is never worth transferring points speculatively. That said, if you have a specific Aeroplan redemption in mind and are looking to transfer Membership Rewards points for the award, this deal is a no-brainer and will save you some points.
One thing to consider is that Amx is running a transfer bonus to 12 programs at the same time. It is worth looking at your travel plans and exploring the options of meeting those goals from other programs. You may get better value by transferring your Membership Rewards to a different program with a bonus and then booking your travel award!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.