AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
As some travelers start to travel again, airlines and hotels are fighting hard for our business. Both JetBlue and Southwest are currently offering double points on flights. Now, Alaska has launched new promotions to earn elite status faster and earn bonus award miles.
Alaska has already announced that existing Alaska Mileage Plan elite members will have their elite status extended through the end of 2021. So, these options to fast-track to elite status are going to be best for those who are looking to switch their loyalty to Alaska or earn a higher level of Alaska elite status. If you're not already a member, you can sign up for the Mileage Plan program here.
Earn Bonus Miles From Credit Card Purchases
Earn Elite Miles from Credit Card Spending
- Earn 2,500 elite qualifying miles for every $5,000 spent using an Alaska Visa Card or Alaska Business Card
- Valid on all purchases between June 1st and September 30th, 2020
- A member can earn a maximum of 10,000 elite qualifying miles from $20,000 in spending
- Spending excludes any fees—including the annual fee—returns and adjustments
The terms and conditions state that “purchases from different Alaska Airlines accounts cannot be combined to reach the $5,000 threshold.” So, you won't be able to combine spending between an Alaska Visa Card and an Alaska Business Card. Likewise, a member account is limited to a maximum of 10,000 elite-qualifying miles from this offer “even if they hold multiple Alaska Airlines consumer and small business Visa cards.”
The bonus elite-qualifying miles earnings won't show up on your credit card statement but will be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account within the first two billing cycles after qualifying.
Earn Bonus Miles from Restaurant Purchases [EXPIRED]
- Earn 2 miles on every dollar spent on restaurants, take-out, and delivery services
- Valid from June 1 to July 31, 2020
- Limited to the first $1,500 spent
We have seen several other credit cards add offers for spending at restaurants, take-out and delivery services. So, make sure that it makes sense for your situation before taking advantage of this offer.
Earn Elite Status Through Flying
- Earn 50% bonus elite qualifying miles on all flights with Alaska Airlines
- Valid on flights from June 1 through December 31, 2020
- Partner flights don't receive a bonus
There's no registration required for this promotion. All you need to do is credit Alaska flights to your Mileage Plan account to qualify. Note that you'll earn 50% bonus elite-qualifying miles, but you'll earn the same number of award miles.
Alaska Elite Status Requirements and Benefits
There are three tiers of Alaska elite status: MVP, MVP Gold, and MVP Gold 75K. And there are three ways that you can earn this status:
- earning a set number of elite-qualifying miles on Alaska (20k, 40k, 75k respectively)
- earning a slightly-higher number of elite-qualifying miles on Alaska and its partners (25k, 50k, 90k respectively), or
- flying a certain number of qualifying segments (30, 60, 90 respectively)
Alaska elite benefits vary based on each tier but include perks like bonus points, first-class upgrades, preferred seating, priority check-in, and boarding.
Remember that Alaska is planning to join the Oneworld Alliance in the summer of 2021. This means that if you use the above deals to get to Alaska elite status, you will also qualify for American Airlines and Oneworld benefits for at least part of next year.
By taking full advantage of the credit card spending offer, you can earn half of the 20,000 miles needed to qualify for the first tier of Alaska elite status. Plus, you'll get the 50% elite qualifying miles bonus on your flights to earn the remaining 10,000 miles.
If you don't already have the Alaska Visa Card, you can earn 50,000 bonus miles. and Alaska's Famous Companion Fare™ from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from just $22) after you make purchases of $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of opening your account.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.