AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Eligibility is limited for the Amex Offers discussed in this post. Enrollment is required in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming.
For years, American Express has been intentional in its support of local businesses and “shop small” campaigns. Have you ever heard of ‘Small Business Saturday' — the Saturday after Thanksgiving where people target small businesses for their holiday-season patronage? American Express started that in 2010. Now, it generates billions of dollars in revenue each year for small businesses.
Unfortunately, many of our favorite small businesses continue to bear the brunt of the financial fallout from the global pandemic. Recognizing this, Amex has rolled out another Amex Offer incentivizing cardmembers to #shopsmall. Through December 31, 2021, Amex cardholders can receive up to $50 in statement credits for purchases at small businesses.
- The incentive is available as an Amex Offer, which must be activated by December 31, 2021
- Amex cardmembers will receive a $10 statement credit for spending at least $10 at a Small Business included on the merchant map (available here)
- You can use the offer up to five times for a total of $50 value in statement credits
- Deadline to make purchases with this offer is December 31, 2021
- You must enroll in the offer before spending to receive the credits
- Offer available on all U.S. American Express consumer, small business, Serve, and Bluebird cards
- Promotion details are available here, where you can enroll if you don't find this offer listed on any of your cards in the typical Amex Offers section
A key difference to note with this Shop Small offer is that—unlike typical Amex Offers—virtually all Amex cardmembers will be able to add it and utilize it. Typically, Amex Offers are targeted and capped on how many cardmembers can take advantage of an offer. However, each cardmember is limited to enrolling in this offer on just one card. So, make sure to choose which card you want to enroll before clicking “Add to Card”.
Locating a Qualifying Small Business
Not sure which businesses qualify for the offer? Amex has a handy tool to help you figure it out. When you log into your online American Express account, you should see a widget titled ‘Useful Links', under which you'll find a link to ‘Find Places to Shop Small‘.
When you click that, you're redirected to a page with a search function and map powered by Google Maps. You can search through the thousands of local merchants of all kinds, filtering by your location, a general area, or searching by name. If a vendor has a circular badge next to its listing that reads ‘Shop Small', you know:
- It's a local establishment worth supporting.
- It will qualify for this Shop Small Amex Offer.
Alternatively, since the American Express vendor map doesn't require you to log in, you can access the same search feature simply by following this link and selecting the “Shop Small Map” filter.
Throughout the lockdown, a lot of our favorite small businesses have been struggling to stay afloat. In some cases, this has resulted in widespread closures and appreciable changes to our communities. As consumers, we can help to support the small businesses we love with our ongoing patronage, a fact that American Express is acutely aware of. This ‘Shop Small' Amex Offer is a fantastic way to incentivize cardmembers to do their part.
What's your favorite small business?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.