AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Chase has published the biggest signup offer we've seen to date on the popular IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, announcing a new offer of 125,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
The card is already a great long-term value thanks to the high earning rate on IHG purchases, complimentary elite status, and a free-night certificate each year you hold the card. The new 125,000 bonus points offer is an all-time high since this card launched—the current deal is a 56% increase over the standard bonus of 80,000 points.
- Earn 125,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Enjoy a Free Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a free reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn 40 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel for the first 12 months - after that, 25X points.
- Earn 4X points on all other purchases for the first 12 months - after that, 2X points at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants and 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry or TSA Pre✔® Fee Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards Club Bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
- Earn 40 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 4 points per $1 spent on everything else
Great Earning Rates After the First 12 Months
- Earn 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- 2X points per $1 spent on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants
- 1X point per $1 spent on all other purchases
Earn More Points in Your First Year
In addition to the great welcome offer, Chase has sweetened the deal by awarding extra points on your spending with the card for the first 12 months. As an IHG Rewards Club member (without elite status), you already earn up to 10 points per dollar spent at IHG properties regardless of what card you use to pay.
If you have the IHG Rewards Premier Card, you'll get 5 extra points for being a Platinum elite, and 10 extra points for using your card on IHG purchases (for a total haul of 25 points per dollar). While 25 points per dollar is already an impressive return on spend, the current welcome offer bumps that rate up to 40 total points per dollar in your first year.
Even better, Chase decided to up the ante on non-IHG spend in the first year as well. For the first 12 months, you'll earn four points per dollar on all other purchases. After the first year, you'll get two points per dollar on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants, and one point per dollar on everything else.
Feature Benefits of the IHG Rewards Premier Card
- Anniversary Free Night Certificate — The hero benefit of the IHG Rewards Premier Card and the reason it pays for itself over the longterm. The anniversary free night is valid for any IHG property up to the value of 40,000 points per night.
- Fourth Night Free — Akin to a 25% discount on award stays of four nights, cardholders receive the fourth night free on award redemptions. Essentially, redeem your points for a four-night stay at an IHG property, and IHG will only charge you for three nights—four nights for the price of three!
- IHG Platinum Elite Status — Receive Platinum Elite Status for as long as you retain the IHG Rewards Premier Card. While not as feature-rich as the best mid-tier hotel elite status, Platinum Elite members receive perks like complimentary upgrades and late checkout when available, plus you’ll earn up to 15X points per dollar spent at most IHG brands. Including the bonus points from your IHG Rewards Premier Card, that’s 25X points per dollar spent with IHG!
- Save 20% on Points Purchases — There are situations when buying points can save you a bundle compared to paying cash for your stay. It's important to note that, according to the terms and conditions, the 20% discount on points purchases can't be combined with other deals or discounts. In other words, you likely won't be able to combine this with the regular points sales where IHG sells points for as little as 0.5¢ each. Still, the benefit could be a great value when you buy points to redeem for PointBreaks properties or high-end redemptions like Kimpton hotels.
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck Credit — Cardholders receive a credit every four years up to the value of $100.
Best Ways to Redeem IHG Rewards Club Points
IHG is best known in the award travel community for its quarterly PointBreaks promotions, which offer a list of hotels at heavily discounted award rates as low as 5,000 points per night. PointBreaks redemptions cost either 5K, 10K, and 15K points, depending on the hotel, and you can compound the value received by utilizing the fourth-night-free perk and staying four nights for the price of three!
Outside of PointBreaks promos, IHG free nights range in price from 10,000 points per night for a Category 1 hotel up to 70,000 points per night for a premium Category 13 property. While the lion's share of IHG redemptions return a consistent value around the ~0.5¢ per point mark, we've shared a list of our top IHG Rewards Club redemptions, alongside some exceptional properties that come in under the critical 40,000 point mark, perfect for your IHG free night.
Another unique feature of IHG Rewards Club is the ability to use a mix of points and cash when booking a hotel stay. If you don’t have enough points in your account to book your desired hotel, or want to extend your stay past what your points alone will allow, you can use a mix of points and cash to secure your booking. Plus, there's a quick workaround that allows you to use points and cash bookings to pick up IHG points for as little as half a cent each!
Chase imposes multiple restrictions on rewards credit card applications. The first is a published application rule stating you can’t get the IHG Rewards Premier Card if you currently hold the card or have received a signup bonus for it in the previous 24 months.
This product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of this credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of this credit card who received a new cardmember bonus for this credit card within the last 24 months.
The second, unpublished set of rules is Chase’s 5/24 policy, which restricts approvals to folks that have fewer than five new credit cards opened in the preceding 24 months leading up to your application. If you’ve been approved for five or more personal credit cards in the previous 24 months, you won’t be approved for this card.
The increased 125,000 bonus points on the IHG Rewards Premier Card is the highest bonus this card has offered since it launched back in 2017, providing enough points for one to two nights at a top IHG property, or as many as 25 nights if redeemed for the lowest PointBreaks redemptions (even more if you utilize the fourth night free perk). In addition to the massive bonus, you’ll get an anniversary free night certificate each year good for properties up to 40,000 points per night, Platinum Elite status for as long as you hold the card, and a 20% discount when purchasing points. If you’ve had this card on your radar, now’s the time to pull the trigger and secure the biggest bonus this card has ever offered.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.