AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This IHG Rewards buy points promotion has ended. However, you can still purchase IHG Rewards points.
IHG is offering a sale to buy points with up to an 80% bonus on point purchases now through June 10, 2022. This sale provides members the ability to buy IHG points for as little as 0.56¢ each. But is it worth buying? Here's a look at some things to consider.
A Note on Buying IHG Points
In general, buying points or miles without a bonus is not a great idea. Loyalty programs typically sell points at a much higher price than members can redeem them for. These sales can generate a lot of money for the program, but it's generally a poor value for the customer. However, promotions like this can shrink or eliminate that gap.
Additionally, there are two exceptions to where buying points can be a smart move. The first is when topping off your account to enable a specific redemption. The second is when the price to buy points for a redemption is cheaper than paying for the same product outright.
IHG Buy Points Offer Details
This is a tiered offer. The more points you buy, the better your bonus will be.
- 1,000 to 4,000 points: no bonus
- 5,000 points or more: 80% bonus
There are different offers going around, so you may see different bonus amounts or thresholds.
80% Bonus Offer
- This promotion is valid through 11:59 pm Eastern Time on June 10, 2022.
- Members can receive up to an 80% bonus when they buy IHG points.
- Bonuses are tiered, and not everyone has the same offer.
- You can purchase a maximum of 250,000 IHG points during this promotion. With the 80% bonus, this translates into 450,000 IHG points for $2,500. That's 0.56 cents each.
- It may take up to 72 hours for the points to post to your account.
- Point purchases are not refundable.
Great IHG Redemption Options
IHG is a dark horse among the major hotel brands. Many travelers think of a generic Holiday Inn Express right off the highway when they think about IHG. In reality, there are a ton of fantastic IHG properties strewn across a substantial global footprint—many of which can offer a stellar value on point redemptions.
A reward night at IHG properties typically costs between 10,000–70,000 points, with a few exceptions. Depending on what the cash price is, you may be better off buying the points necessary instead.
Overwater villa in Bora Bora
The crown jewel of the IHG Rewards program is the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa. As the only room type at this property is overwater villas, that's what you get with an IHG Rewards booking. The rate (when you can find availability) is 120,000 IHG Rewards points per night:
As you can see in the small print in the screenshot above, the paid room rates are extraordinarily high. For the nights where I found award availability, the rate is nearly US$1,200 per night after taxes and fees. However, if you bought the 120,000 IHG points via a 80% bonus, you'd pay $667 per night.
The huge caveat is that award availability can be tough to find at this property. When award availability does open, it's usually only available for 1-2 nights at a time. So, you're going to need to pair this stay with others around Bora Bora to make a proper trip.
But, if you can find four nights in a row, cardholders of the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card or IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card can score awards for an average of just 90,000 IHG Rewards points per night. Buying points with this 80% bonus, that's just $500 per night for an overwater villa in Bora Bora!
Spring in Fiji
The Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa is one of our favorite IHG sweet spots for point redemptions. Cash rates are regularly north of $300 per night, meaning a four-night stay would cost 2,415 Fijian Dollars–about US$1,140.
However, at only 40,000 points a night, the 160,000 points required would only cost $889. You save over $250 off the cash rate.
If you hold the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card or IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card, this deal gets even sweeter. Thanks to the Fourth Reward Night Free, when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights, you'd only need 120,000 points total for this stay. Buying those points under this promotion costs $667, saving nearly 45% off the cash price!
- Earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 3 or more nights
- Earn up to 26 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 5 points per $1 spent on purchases on travel, gas stations, and restaurants. Earn 3 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
- Global Entry, TSA PreCheck® or NEXUS Statement Credit of up to $100 every 4 years as reimbursement for the application fee charged to your card
- IHG Rewards bonus points are redeemable at hotels such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
- Earn 26 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- 5X points per $1 spent on purchases on travel, gas stations, and restaurants
- 3X points per $1 spent on all other purchases
The earning for spending at IHG hotels breaks down as follows:
- Earn 10X points for being a IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card member
- Earn 6X points from IHG® with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of having this card
- Earn 10X points from IHG® for being an IHG® Rewards Club Member (Being a cardholder is not required to earn this bonus for participating in the IHG® loyalty program)
Holidays in New York City
Many people dream of spending winter holidays in New York. Whether it's watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve or the famous Thanksgiving Day parade, this is a popular place. And rooms can be expensive during the holiday period. The average price per night is almost $400 per night around Christmas.
If you hold the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card or IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card, it becomes a deal worth considering. Thanks to the Fourth Reward Night Free, when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights, you'd only need 142,000 points total for this stay. Buying those points under this promotion costs $789. In this way, you'd pay under $200 per night.
Maximizing Your IHG Points Purchase
IHG point purchases are processed by Points.com—not IHG directly—so they won't trigger any multiplier on cards with travel or hotel purchases as a bonus category. Thus, your best options are to use the purchase to meet a minimum spending requirement or to use a card optimized for everyday spending. Here are a few of our favorite options:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Discover it® Miles
It's worth noting that one of the perks offered to cardholders of the IHG Rewards Premier Card is a 20% discount on the purchase of IHG Rewards points. However, this benefit can't be stacked with a promotion to buy points at a discount. So, you’re better off sticking with one of the cards listed above.
IHG Buy Points History
We have compiled a partial list of the best former IHG buy points promotions. As you can see, there have been plenty of former promotions that offered 100% bonus points. So, if you don't have an immediate use for IHG Rewards points, you may want to wait for the next promotion. That's especially true since other promotions have been better.
|Promotion Ended||Max Bonus||Min Cents Per Mile|
This promotion falls short of the best price we've seen to buy IHG points (100% bonus = 0.5 cents per point). But, you can get the maximum 80% bonus when buying just 5,000 points. So, if you are just a few points short of a redemption or can get outsized value of your redemption, then it can make sense to buy points from IHG during this promotion. Additionally, there are times when it's cheaper to buy points than to pay cash for a hotel room, and we provided some examples of this.
Are you going to buy IHG points with an 80% bonus?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.