AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Chase has updated the introductory offer on its popular British Airways Visa Signature® Card, dishing up 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening, plus earn a Travel Together Ticket after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Plus earn a Travel Together Ticket after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 5 Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 3 Avios.
- Earn 3 Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations when purchased directly with the hotel within your first 12 months from account opening, thereafter earn 2 Avios. Plus earn 1 Avios per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- 10% off British Airways flights starting in the US when you book through the website provided in your welcome materials.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you'll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Simply tap to pay with your contactless British Airways Visa Signature Card. Just look for the contactless symbol at checkout. It's fast, easy and secure!
- 3X Avios per $1 spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia, and LEVEL
- 2X Avios per $1 spent on hotel accommodations
- 1X Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases
The 50,000 point signup bonus is good enough to fly you and a companion round-trip in economy class from the West Coast to Hawaii. Plus, you'll take home a Travel Together Ticket after you hit the $20K spending threshold. Interestingly, you still qualify for the Travel Together Ticket issued with the card when you reach $30K in spending in a calendar year, so you have the opportunity to get two Travel Together Tickets in the first 12 months you hold the card.
Highlights of the British Airways Visa Card
In addition to the welcome offer, the British Airways Visa Card provides some great perks.
- Earn up to $600 in statement credits each year (to cover taxes, fees, and fuel surcharges).
- Hit the $30K spending threshold and you’ll also get a BA Travel Together Ticket, British Airways’ version of a companion pass. Cardholders earn a Travel Together Ticket, valid for two years, every calendar year you spend $30K or more on your British Airways Visa Card.
- The British Airways Visa Card features no foreign transaction fees, great when you’re traveling abroad, and also has chip technology for making chip-based purchases in Europe & beyond.
- In addition to a number of award sweet spots we’ve detailed in other posts, you can use your Avios on any oneworld® partners, and you have the ability to mix a combination of Avios and cash to book your travel reservations. This is particularly handy when you want to redeem an award that is just out of reach and you don't have the time to earn the required number of Avios. It’s also a fantastic way of using points that are close to expiring (Avios expire after three years of account inactivity), ensuring your Avios don't go to waste.
- British Airways is a transfer partner of Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards, and Marriott Bonvoy, so you can also top up your Avios account with points earned on cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express, or the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card.
- The card has a $95 annual fee.
Downsides to the British Airways Visa Card
British Airways has a reputation for exorbitant fuel surcharges and limited award availability, particularly on long-haul flights where fuel surcharges can run into the thousands of dollars.
Avios are great for short-haul flights and select US awards where the route suits BA’s distance-based award chart i.e. West Coast – Hawaii. To get the full benefits of the British Airways Visa Card requires a fair amount of research and some astute planning, but the rewards are high-value flights to some awesome destinations.
Despite big changes to the British Airways award chart in recent years, there is still value in the Avios program if you know where to look. The offer on the British Airways Visa Signature® Card is good for round-trip economy flights for two people from the U.S. to Europe (Aer Lingus flying BOS-DUB), or to Hawaii (AA + Alaska Air flying LAX-HNL). Plus you have the opportunity to earn two Travel Together Tickets in the first year you hold the card.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.