AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Hot on the heels of Amex announcing The Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders will receive 5X points on airfare spend (on up to $500,000 of airfare purchases per calendar year booked directly with airlines), Amex has added a twist to its annual Small Business push by offering 2X points on qualifying spend from participating small businesses through December 31, 2016.
- Earn 2X Rewards on purchases at qualifying small businesses through 12/31/16
- You must enroll your eligible American Express Card
- If you have more than one eligible Card, you must separately register each Card
- You won't earn 2X rewards on any bonus you may already receive with your Card (for example, if the card receives 6 points on a bonus category you won’t get 12 points)
- Qualifying small merchant locations appear on the Shop Small® Map
- Applies to the first $250,000 in purchases for each eligible business card
- Applies to the first $100,000 in purchases for each eligible personal card
- Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible to enroll in this offer
The hardest part of this promo to understand is when there are other bonus points in play as the language in the T&C’s can be a bit difficult to decipher. Earning 2X points in this respect means receiving double the base miles/points/cash back that you would typically receive, outside of bonus categories.
See the full T&C’s, including details for each card, on the Shop Small 2016 promotion page.
Participating Amex Rewards Cards
The participating list of cards is extensive, with both personal and business Amex cards participating. In addition to Membership Rewards earning cards such as:
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
Amex has also included cash-back cards and the majority of its co-branded hotel and airline cards, including:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
Amex has put together an easy-to-use guide on its website showing all cards eligible for the promo.
Amex has hit the nail on the head with this promo in a couple of different ways.
- The list of participating cards is enormous and covers the full spectrum of cards from premium travel cards to cash back cards that feature no annual fee.
- It supports small business. Almost 90% of companies in the U.S. employ less than 20 people, and it is awesome to see Amex helping small business across the country by encouraging cardholders to shop locally.
A couple of things worth noting before pulling your Amex out and heading to the local corner store. This promo is best suited to spending that doesn’t run head-on into bonus categories from other card providers.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.