AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Holders of American Airlines co-branded credit cards have long enjoyed a little-known benefit: AA Reduced Mileage Awards. These awards apply to 14 co-branded cards with two levels of discount available based on the particular card you hold. Each discount is subdivided into two levels depending on the distance flown. While all this may seem complicated, in reality, it is relatively straightforward to book an award; follow the steps below.
Step 1: Determine The Discount For Which You Are Eligible
The discount you are eligible for is determined by what type of AA co-branded credit card you hold. The following cards will receive a discount of 7,500 miles for roundtrip flights over 500 miles, or 2,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles:
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Executive World EliteTM MasterCard®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa®
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ MasterCard®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express®
- CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Select Visa®
- CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Select MasterCard®
- CitiBusiness®/ AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®
- AAdvantage®AviatorTM Silver World Elite MasterCard®
- AAdvantage®AviatorTM Red MasterCard®
- AAdvantage®AviatorTM Business MasterCard®
Alternatively, holders of the following cards are eligible for a discount of 5,000 miles for roundtrip flights over 500 miles, and 1,000 miles for flights less than 500 miles:
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Gold American Express®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Gold Visa®
- Citi®/ AAdvantage® Gold World Elite™ MasterCard®
- AAdvantage®AviatorTM Blue MasterCard®
Step 2: Find Your Discount Code
There are ten (10) discount codes available, as there is a code for each cabin class at each discount level (based on distance), for flights within the US. Use the AA award discount code table to find the one that applies to your award.
Step 3: Find Your Award And Book
The final step is to find your AA Reduced Mileage Award. Check out the list of participating cities, find your destination, and check to see if the month you want to travel is included in the AA Reduced Mileage Awards. At this point, you will need to pick up the phone and call AA at 1-800-882-8880 to complete your reservation.
If you hold an AA co-branded credit card, then it is worth your while to keep and eye out on these awards and regularly reference them before making any reservation. Even though you'll need to pick up the phone, you won't be charged a phone booking fee and completing a booking is relatively easy and can yield excellent savings on award bookings.
Source: American Airlines
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.