AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
IHG One Rewards members can use the points accelerator to boost recently received points by 1x, 2x, or 3x with a discount of up to 55%. There are some conditions, and this isn't necessarily the best option for members. How does the IHG points accelerator work, and are there times when using it makes sense? Let's dive in.
IHG Points Accelerator Promotion
If you're an IHG One Rewards member and have earned points recently, check your email to see if you're targeted to boost your points by up to three times.
Essentially, the IHG Points Accelerator allows you to buy points at a discount in the form of multiplying your recent earnings. Options are 1x, 2x, or 3x. In order to claim your points, you will need to purchase the boost with a discount: 35%, 45%, or 55%, respectively.
Utilizing the IHG Points Acceleration promotion will allow you to purchase points at the following rates (per point):
- 1x boost (double your points) with a 35% discount: 0.75¢
- 2x boost (triple your points) with a 45% discount: 0.63¢
- 3x boost (quadruple your points) with a 55% discount: 0.52¢
Note that regular IHG promotions often allow you to purchase points with an 80% bonus or even a 100% bonus, depending on the offer. An 80% bonus gets you points for as little as 0.56 cents each. The 100% discount gets you points for as little as 0.5 cents each. Also, Daily Getaways recently had a promotion to purchase IHG points at 0.5 cents each. Both of these methods are cheaper (per point) than using the IHG Points Accelerator.
If you do want to utilize this promotion and are targeted, you have until July 31, 2023 to boost your points.
Other Ways to Get IHG Points
At its base, the IHG Points Accelerator is essentially a method of buying IHG points. Instead of doing that, you can use two transfer points to boost your IHG balance for an upcoming redemption:
- Bilt Rewards: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process immediately
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: 1:1 transfer rate; most transfers process within five hours or less
Additionally, Chase issues several IHG co-branded credit cards in the U.S. You can earn welcome bonuses and points from daily spending with any of these cards:
- IHG One Rewards Traveler Credit Card: Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.. $0 annual fee.
- IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card: Earn 140,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.. $99 annual fee.
- IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card: Earn 140,000 Bonus Points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. $99 annual fee.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points
- No Annual Fee
- Earn up to 17 points total per $1 spent when you stay at IHG Hotels & Resorts
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent on purchases on monthly bills, at gas stations, and restaurants. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Redeem 3 Nights, Get the 4th Night Free
- IHG One Rewards Bonus points are redeemable at Hotels & Resorts such as InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Kimpton®, EVEN® Hotels, Indigo® Hotels & Holiday Inn®
- Member FDIC
- 17X points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- 3X points per $1 spent on dining, utilities, select streaming services, and at gas stations
- 2X points per $1 spent on all other purchases
The earning for spending at IHG hotels breaks down as follows:
- Earn 5X points for being a IHG One Rewards Traveler Credit Cardmember
- Earn 2X points from IHG® with Silver Elite Status, a benefit of this Card
- Earn 10X points from IHG® for being an IHG® Rewards Club Member (Being a cardholder is not required to earn this bonus for participating in the IHG® loyalty program)
As we pointed out, using the IHG Points Accelerator isn't the best idea. You are limited to purchasing only a multiple of the points you recently received. Moreover, you only get the best deal if you choose the 3x option. Even that doesn't give you the best price for IHG points. The best this promotion has to offer is points at 0.52 cents each. Other sales offer IHG points for 0.5 cents apiece. Perhaps a paltry difference, but we're here to find you the best deal.
There are plenty of other ways to earn IHG points. You can get plenty of bonus points with IHG credit cards or transfer partners. Otherwise, just stick around for another sale offering IHG points at a better price. If you've exhausted all other options and still need more IHG points (or need them immediately for a redemption), then the Points Accelerator can be worthwhile.
Were you targeted for a deal with the IHG Points Accelerator? What did you think of your options?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.