AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Amex just launched a new 25% transfer bonus for transferring Membership Rewards points to Hilton Honors points. During this promotion, members will receive 2,500 Hilton points for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points transferred. That's effectively 2.5 Hilton points per Membership Rewards point now through August 31, 2023.
That sounds like an incredible transfer rate. However, Hilton is one of Amex's least-valuable transfer partners. So, does it make sense to take advantage of this Membership Rewards transfer bonus to Hilton? Let's dig into the details to help you determine if it makes sense for you.
Amex Transfer Bonus Offer Terms
- Transfer Membership Rewards points to Hilton Honors and receive a 25% bonus.
- This offer is available for transfers through August 31, 2023.
- Per the terms and conditions, the estimated transfer time is 24 hours. However, based on AwardWallet Balance Watch tracking, recent transfers from Amex to Hilton have been processed immediately.
- Bonus Points do not count towards elite tier qualification.
Is It Worth Taking Advantage of This Amex Transfer Bonus to Hilton?
At face value, my thought on this Hilton transfer bonus is: meh.
My personal valuation for Membership Rewards points is roughly 1.8¢ per point. Meanwhile, my personal valuation for Hilton is 0.5¢ per point. And it seems that Hilton agrees with my valuation, as Hilton sells points at 0.5¢ per point.
With a 1:2.5 ratio, I see this as trading an Amex point worth 1.8¢ for Hilton points worth 1.25¢. That doesn't sound ideal on the surface. However, that could be oversimplifying the matter.
Hilton's luxury redemptions
One of the most important facets of award travel is recognizing that different people value different points, well… differently. Perhaps you like to leverage Hilton points for the program's luxury sweet spots.
AwardWallet recently analyzed 27,856 Hilton award bookings made by AwardWallet members. We found that AwardWallet members save an average of 0.58¢ per Hilton Honors point on these real-world bookings. Even better, Hilton points provide over 1 cent per point on average at several luxury properties.
So, Honors points might be worth far more than 0.5¢ a piece to you, and this transfer bonus represents a valuable opportunity.
Just consider the opportunity cost. For example, you may earn Membership Rewards points specifically for premium-cabin redemptions via airline transfer partners. In that case, Membership Rewards points are likely worth far more than 1.8¢ a piece to you, making this conversion an even harder sell. In this case, it may make more sense for you to buy Hilton points for 0.5¢ each via a buy Hilton points promotion.
Earn Hilton Points Through Credit Card Welcome Offers
Hilton points can be collected in bulk via co-branded credit card welcome offers. For example, the Hilton Honors American Express Card offers 80,000 Hilton Honors bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 80,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with hotels and resorts within the Hilton portfolio.
- Earn 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. Enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad.
- Enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status with your Card. Plus, spend $20,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
- No Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands
- 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card
And that's just one of the many credit cards that earn Hilton points. For most, this represents a much better way to accrue points than transferring valuable Membership Rewards points.
Hilton Honors Expiration Policy
Your Hilton Honors points will expire if you don't have qualifying activity in your Honors account for 24 months. Unfortunately, transferring points from American Express to Hilton Honors does not qualify as an eligible activity for extending the life of your Hilton Honors points. Instead, you'll need to earn or redeem Hilton points through other means to extend the validity of your points.
Before you transfer points from Amex to Hilton during this transfer bonus, make sure that you have a use for the points — or at least have a plan to extend their validity.
AwardWallet can help you track the expiration of your Hilton points — plus the expiration for over 600 other programs. Just add your Hilton Honors account to AwardWallet and you'll get automatic notifications before your Hilton points expire.
The best Hilton Honors transfer bonus we've ever seen from Amex is 50%, although that Hilton transfer bonus offer has been targeted. While the current bonus isn't the best, it is convenient that it's the same for everyone. But ultimately, this offering isn't all that enticing for most people.
While I don't plan to use my Membership Rewards this way, it's still nice to be able to top off your Hilton account in a pinch. Plus, if you have Membership Rewards points to spare, there are a few situations where transferring for a redemption could make sense. In the end, if you're receiving value for the points that you're comfortable with, that is all that matters.
Will you take advantage of this transfer bonus?
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Hilton Honors American Express Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.