AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Hilton’s mid-tier rewards card has changed names (again) and relaunched with an all-time-high welcome offer. The Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card (formerly Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card), is now featuring a limited-time offer of 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points and a free weekend night reward after you spend $4,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 4 months of Card membership. (Terms Apply.)
That’s a significant increase over the most recent offer of 125,000 points, with Amex adding an extra 5,000 bonus points plus a free weekend-night certificate into the welcome bonus.
Let's dig into the highlights of this stellar new offer on the Hilton Surpass card.
130,000 Bonus Points, a Free Weekend Night, and Top Benefits With the Hilton Surpass
- Earn 130,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points and a free weekend night reward after you spend $4,000 in purchases on the Card within your first 4 months of Card membership.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Earn 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio.
- Earn 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- Spend $40,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn Hilton Honors Diamond status through the end of the next calendar year.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged on your Card directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio
- 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card
The increased welcome bonus on the Hilton Surpass can land new cardholders 130,000 points plus a free weekend night after you spend $4,000 within the first three months. The card also features some of the best perks of any co-brand card at its price point.
- 10X complimentary Priority Pass lounge passes each year
- Hilton Honors Gold Elite status for as long as you hold the card
- Hilton Honors Diamond after you spend $40,000 in a calendar year
- A Free Weekend Night after you spend $15,000 in a calendar year
- 12X points per dollar at Hilton hotels and resorts, 6X points at US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations, and 3X on other purchases
- Access to Amex Offers
- No foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees)
We typically value Hilton points at ~0.5¢ each, making the 130,000-point welcome offer worth roughly $650 towards free nights. Redeeming Hilton points for free nights costs between 10,000-95,000 points per night, so you’ll get up to 13 nights at the lower end of Hiltons redemption options, or 1-2 nights at an aspirational property like Conrad Bali.
Unlike the free night certificates offered with most hotel rewards cards, the free weekend night certificate you get when you signup for the Hilton Surpass is valid at almost any Hilton property worldwide, with just a few exclusions you can see here. This means you could potentially redeem your free night certificate for a high-end Hilton property costing upwards of $500-$600 per night. For most folks, however, we see a redemption value of ~$300 as a more achievable target, given the likelihood that a good many Hilton free night certificates would be used for local weekends away or for overnight sporting events.
When you tally the ~$300 free night certificate and ~$650 worth of points, the welcome offer will return roughly $1,000 in value, dependant on how you redeem your points and free night. Thanks to the free weekend night earned after $15,000 spent on the card each year, we’ve run the numbers to show how you can get a minimum 3.5% return on non-bonus spending on the Hilton Surpass, and as high as 8.5% back on Hilton spending. Add to that the value of Hilton Gold elite status, which we rank the best mid-tier hotel elite status, and the 10X Priority Pass lounge passes, and you have an impressive credit card package for the $95 annual fee (Rates & Fees).
Earn 90,000 Bonus Points on the Hilton American Express Card
Already hold the Hilton Surpass, or don’t like the idea of paying an annual fee? The Hilton Honors American Express Card is also offering a limited-time increased welcome bonus, so you can pick up a cool 90,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months (Terms Apply.) While this card doesn’t offer the same level of perks found on its premium stablemates, you’ll still receive:
- Hilton Honors Silver status for as long as you hold the card
- Hilton Honors Gold after you spend $20,000 in a calendar year
- 7X points per dollar at Hilton hotels and resorts, 5X points at US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations, and 3X on other purchases
- Access to Amex Offers
- No foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees)
Outstanding returns when you consider the lack of an annual fee. (Rates & Fees)
With the cost of renaming its rewards cards every few months, you could be excused for thinking Hilton might reduce the number of points issued with the refreshed Hilton Surpass. Instead, we are on the receiving end of an all-time-high welcome bonus of 130,000 bonus points plus a free weekend night, one of the most valuable sign-up bonuses currently available and on a card which already stands out for its top return on spending.
Keep in mind, if you already hold a Hilton Surpass (or Hilton Ascend), or you’ve previously held the Hilton Surpass, Hilton Ascend, or the old Hilton Reserve from Citi, you won’t be eligible to receive the bonus this card. However, holding one Hilton Amex doesn’t prevent you from acquiring another card in the Hilton lineup. If you're ineligible for the Hilton Surpass, you can still get the Hilton Amex with its excellent 90,000 point offer.
These limited-time bonuses are advertised to end on 8/28/19, so if you want to take advantage of the increased offers now is the time to act.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card (Rates & Fees), and Hilton Honors American Express Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.