AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card is one of four personal co-brand Delta cards offered by American Express and represents substantial value for cardmembers that can take advantage of the perks and benefits the card offers. Highlights include a round-trip domestic coach companion certificate on account anniversary, bonus Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM’s) when you reach spending thresholds, free checked bags, and priority boarding.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening , then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 3X miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta
- 3X miles per dollar at hotels
- 2X miles per dollar at U.S. supermarkets
- 2X miles per dollar at restaurants
- 1 mile on every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
New cardmembers can earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
Earning Potential and Category Bonuses
The Platinum Delta Amex improved its bonus categories in January 2020. You’ll now earn 3x miles for Delta purchases and at hotels and you'll also earn 2x miles at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets in addition to one mile per dollar on all other purchases. Despite the changes, there are still many other cards that earn more (or more valuable) miles in these categories, so this is a card to hold for the benefits rather than the points earned on everyday spending. Fortunately, the card provides plenty of benefits to compensate for the annual fee of $250. (Rates & Fees).
Platinum Delta Amex Feature Benefits
The Platinum Delta Amex is best suited to cardholders based in Delta hubs, or those that fly Delta on a regular basis but struggle to reach or maintain elite Medallion status. The recently rebranded “Status Boost” feature will help you earn extra MQM’s (when you reach spending thresholds). And taking advantage of free checked bags for the primary account holder and up to eight companions can readily account for the out-of-pocket expense of holding the card.
Update for 2021: As part of its Covid-19 response, Delta is adding a 25% boost to MQMs earned via the Status Boost on your Delta co-brand card in 2021. That means Platinum cardholders will earn 12,500 MQM and Reserve cardholders 18,750 MQM at each status boost tier. We've factored these updated numbers below to reflect these changes.
Earn 12,500 MQMs after you spend $25K in a calendar year, plus an additional 12.500 MQMs after you spend $50,000 in a calendar year. That’s potentially 25,000 MQMs! And while not everyone has the spending capacity to put $50K on a personal card, $25K is an achievable target for those folks attempting to reach status with Delta.
First Checked Bag Free
One of the pains of modern air travel is the associated add-on fees levied on everything from checked bags and in-flight entertainment to food and blankets. Holding the Platinum Delta Amex can help negate a significant portion of these fees when flying Delta by providing the first checked bag free of charge for the primary cardholder and companions traveling on the same reservation. For example, checked baggage fees for a family of four, at $30 per bag, will net you savings of $120 each way or $240 per round-trip flight.
Annual Companion Certificate
The certificate allows another passenger to fly with you free of charge, paying only fees and taxes of no more than $75 for round-trip domestic economy flights. Only the primary traveler accrues miles for the companion fare. Seats are limited to specific fare booking classes and companions traveling on a Delta Companion Certificate are eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Cardholders and companions traveling on the same reservation receive zone 1 priority boarding on Delta flights. While it may not appear a big-ticket perk, for those that value prime overhead real estate to store carry-on luggage, having your bag where you want it is a sweet perk. Priority boarding is limited to a maximum of nine passengers traveling on the same reservation.
The Platinum Delta Amex entitles cardmembers to 20% off eligible pre-purchased meals, and in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, and audio headsets, on Delta-operated flights. The savings are issued in the form of a statement credit when you charge in-flight purchases to your Platinum Delta Amex.
The card also advertises reduced fees for Delta Sky Club access as a feature benefit. However, you still pay $39 for the privilege, whereas you can get complimentary access to Sky Club when flying Delta with other cards.
Ancillary Benefits and Insurances
Visit the feature & benefits page of Amex’s website for policy particulars on each of the listed benefits.
- Baggage Insurance Plan – Covers up to $1,250 per person for carry-on or $500 for checked baggage, including up to $250 for high-risk items.
- Trip Delay Insurance – Covers delays of more than 12 hours for up to $300 per covered trip. (maximum of 2 claims per 12 consecutive months)
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance – Coverage is secondary up to a maximum of $50,000 per rental (we cover cards offering primary auto rental cover in this post)
- Extended Warranty – Extends warranty coverage on purchases that come with an original U.S. manufacturer's warranty of 5 years or less for up to 1 additional year, up to $10,000 per item and $50,000 per calendar year
- Purchase Protection – Covers purchases made with the card against theft or accidental damage for up to 90 days and $1,000 per occurrence, max $50,000 per calendar year
As with all Amex credit and charge cards, you can only receive the welcome bonus on the Platinum Delta Amex card once.
“Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.”
If you have held this card in the past, there is zero chance of you receiving the welcome bonus for the second time.
The good news is that Delta is the most generous legacy carrier when it comes to the number of co-brand cards available, and holding one Delta co-brand card does not preclude you from applying for either the business version of the same card or another card in the Delta Amex lineup. The other Delta cards on offer include:
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
Amex also counts some restrictions on the overall number of credit cards you can hold at any one time which we cover in more detail in our post explaining credit card application restrictions.
The Platinum Delta Amex is our personal favorite of the Delta co-brand cards. With the opportunity to earn additional MQMs when you cross spending thresholds, the Platinum Delta Amex can help boost your chances of reaching Medallion elite status. The card is one of the only ways of earning MQMs outside of butt-in-seat miles on Delta flights. The free checked bags for cardholders and companions can easily offset the annual fee of $250, and the companion certificate can be a valuable perk if you can navigate the modest restrictions on redemptions.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.