AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express is one of four personal co-brand Delta cards offered by American Express, and represents substantial value for cardmembers that can take advantage of the perks and benefits the card offers. Highlights include a round-trip domestic coach companion pass on account anniversary, bonus SkyMiles and Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM’s) when you reach spending thresholds, free checked bags, and priority boarding. And that’s before you take into account the high-value welcome bonus!
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you make $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months.
- In addition, earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Enjoy in-flight savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card to make an eligible purchase, on board your next Delta flight.
- Receive Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights; board early, stow your carry-on bag and settle in sooner.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights -that's a savings of up to $240 per round trip for a family of four.
- $195 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
Currently sporting an elevated, limited-time welcome bonus, new cardmembers can earn 75,000 bonus miles and 5,000 MQMs after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months, plus earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase in the first 3 months
Earning Potential and Category Bonuses
One of the areas where the Platinum Delta Amex falls flat is every day earning rates on the card. You’ll earn 2x miles for Delta purchases, but outside of Delta there are no bonus categories to maximize your earning potential, and the card earns 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases. The card could benefit from added category bonuses such as extra miles on dining or other travel purchases, or a better return on everyday purchases. As it currently stands, the card provides more value via the benefits it offers than the earning potential.
Platinum Delta Amex Feature Benefits
The Platinum Delta Amex is best suited to cardholders based in Delta hubs, or those that fly Delta on a regular basis but struggle to reach or maintain elite Medallion status. The added MQM’s and SkyMiles received from the welcome bonus, and when you reach spending thresholds, provide a welcome boost for cardmembers chasing elite status and award travel. And taking advantage of free checked bags for the primary account holder and up to eight companions can readily account for the out of pocket expense of holding the card.
Earn 10,000 bonus SkyMiles and 10,000 MQMs after you spend $25K in a calendar year, plus an additional 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs after you spend $50,000 in a calendar year. That’s potentially 20,000 bonus miles and 20,000 MQMs, and while not everyone has the spending capacity to put $50K on a personal card, $25K is an achievable target for those folks attempting to reach status with Delta.
First Checked Bag Free
One of the pains of modern air travel is the associated add-on fees levied on everything from checked bags and in-flight entertainment to food and blankets. Holding the Platinum Delta Amex can help negate a significant portion of these fees when flying Delta by providing the first checked bag free of charge for the primary cardholder and companions traveling on the same reservation. For example, checked baggage fees for a family of four, at $25 per bag, will net you savings of $100 each way or $200 per round-trip flight (more than the card’s annual fee).
Annual Companion Certificate
The certificate allows another passenger to fly with you free of charge, paying only fees and taxes of no more than $75 for round-trip, domestic economy flights. Only the primary traveler accrues miles for the companion fare. Seats are limited to specific fare booking classes and companions traveling on a Delta Companion Certificate are eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Cardholders and companions traveling on the same reservation receive zone 1 priority boarding on Delta flights. While it may not appear a big-ticket perk, for those that value prime overhead real estate to store carry-on luggage, having your bag where you want it is a sweet perk. Priority boarding is limited to a maximum of nine passengers traveling on the same reservation.
The Platinum Delta Amex entitles cardmembers to 20% off eligible pre-purchased meals, and in-flight purchases of food, alcoholic beverages, and audio headsets, on Delta-operated flights. The savings are issued in the form of a statement credit when you charge in-flight purchases to your Platinum Delta Amex.
The card also advertises reduced fees for Delta Sky Club access as a feature benefit. However, you still pay $29 for the privilege, whereas you can get complimentary access to Sky Club when flying Delta with other cards.
Ancillary Benefits and Insurances
Visit the feature & benefits page of Amex’s website for policy particulars on each of the listed benefits.
- Baggage Insurance Plan – Covers up to $1,250 per person for carry-on or $500 for checked baggage, including up to $250 for high-risk items.
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance – Coverage is secondary up to a maximum of $50,000 per rental (we cover cards offering primary auto rental cover in this post)
- Extended Warranty – Extends warranty coverage on purchases that come with an original U.S. manufacturer's warranty of 5 years or less for up to 1 additional year, up to $10,000 per item and $50,000 per calendar year
- Return Protection – Covers returns up to $300 per item and $1,000 per calendar year for U.S. purchases
- Purchase Protection – Covers purchases made with the card against theft or accidental damage for up to 90 days and $1,000 per occurrence, max $50,000 per calendar year
As with all Amex credit and charge cards, you can only receive the welcome bonus on the Platinum Delta Amex card once.
“Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.”
If you have held this card in the past, there is zero chance of you receiving the welcome bonus for the second time.
The good news is that Delta is the most generous legacy carrier when it comes to the number of co-brand cards available, and holding one Delta co-brand card does not preclude you from applying for either the business version of the same card or another card in the Delta Amex lineup. The other Delta cards on offer include:
- Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card
Amex also counts some restrictions on the overall number of credit cards you can hold at any one time which we cover in more detail in our post explaining credit card application restrictions.
The Platinum Delta Amex is our personal favorite of the Delta co-brand cards available. Providing a monster limited-time welcome bonus and the opportunity to earn additional bonus SkyMiles and MQMs when you cross spending thresholds, the Platinum Delta Amex can help boost your chances of reaching Medallion elite status. One of the only ways of earning MQMs outside of butt in seat miles on Delta flights. Free checked bags for cardholders and companions is an easy way of offsetting the $195 annual fee, and the companion fare is also a decent perk if you can navigate the shallow hurdles required for redemption.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.