AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Qatar Privileges Club launched a promotion giving you a 20% or 30% bonus when you transfer points to Qatar Avios. This Qatar transfer bonus is valid for transfer through November 15, 2022, and the bonus level depends on the number of base Avios you transfer per transaction. In addition, eligible members taking part will receive a 10% or 12% discount coupon off Qatar-operated itineraries.
- Receive up to a 30% bonus when transferring points to Qatar Privileges Club Avios.
- The promotion is valid for transfers through November 15, 2022, 23:59 GMT+3.
- Receive a 20% bonus on the first 30,000 base Avios your transfer per transaction.
- Receive a 30% bonus on the Avios amounts over 30,000 you transfer per transaction.
- Converting Shangri-La points earns a flat 30% bonus per transaction.
- Bonuses are calculated per transaction, not on a cumulative basis.
- Avios and Bonus Avios should hit your account by December 15, 2022.
- After converting their points, eligible members receive a 10% or 12% discount coupon.
Promotion Transfer partners
Transfers from all of the following partners are eligible for the bonus.
Financial Services Partners
- Ahli Bank Oman, Ahli Bank Qatar, Ahli United Bank
- Axis Bank
- Banque Saudi Fransi
- Cathay United Bank
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Doha Bank
- Dukhan Bank
- Emirates Islamic Bank
- HSBC (Hong Kong, Mexico, Taiwan, and USA)
- Hyundai Card
- Kasikorn Bank
- Kuwait Finance House
- Masraf Al Rayan
- Oman Arab Bank
- Ping An
- Qatar International Islamic Bank (QIIB)
- Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore)
Hotel & Other Partners
- ALL – Accor Live Limitless
- Hyatt Hotels
- Shangri-La Circle
- Centara Hotels & Resorts
- Air Miles
- Ooredoo (Qatar)
How This Qatar Transfer Bonus Works
The simplest way to describe the bonus tiering structure is like a reverse income tax! The promotion features the following bonus bands.
- Conversions resulting in between 0 and 30,000 Avios receive a 20% bonus
- Transfers resulting in over 30,000 Avios, a bonus of 30% is awarded on the Avios over 30,000.
So, for instance, if your conversion would result in 50,000 base Avios. You would end up with 62,000 Avios, including the bonus, which breaks down as follows:
- The first 30,000 base Avios receive a 20% bonus for a total of 36,000 Avios
- The next 20,000 Avios (from 30,000 to 50,000 base Avios) earn a 30% bonus for a total of 26,000 Avios.
Keep in mind the bonus structure is per transaction and not cumulative. For instance, if you make three transactions of 30,000 Avios with the promotion, you will only receive a 20% bonus each time. This would net you 36,000 Avios each time.
How the Discount Coupon Works
Qatar is very unclear about how the 10% and 12% discount coupons work. In fact, they do not mention the 10% coupon in the terms and conditions at all. The only mention of the coupons in the T&Cs is as follows:
“A confirmation email will be sent to qualified members eligible for up to 12% on flights with Qatar Airways post credit of Avios with a promo code valid for bookings on all Qatar Airways operated itineraries worldwide within the specified booking & travel period.”
Qatar mentions earlier that if your transfer earns a 20% bonus, you receive the 10% coupon. However, if your transfer earns a 30% bonus, you receive a 12% bonus. The airline does not specify how the coupon can be used, any restrictions on its use, or any other information. Have you received your email with the coupon? If so, share the details in the comment below!
Boosting your Qatar Avios Balance
While this promotion is interesting, you do have other options if you need to boost your Qatar Privileges Club Avios Balance. Qatar partners with two of the five major flexible point currencies, and you can transfer the following to the Qatar Privileges Club.
- Citi ThankYou points transfer to Qatar at a 1:1 ratio.
- Marriot Bonvoy points transfer to Qatar at a 3:1 ratio.
There is also a workaround to transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Bilt Rewards points to Qatar Privileges Club. You can transfer your points to British Airways Avios before moving them on for free to Qatar. Amex, Chase, and Bilt Rewards transfer to British Airways at a ratio of 1:1.
Using Your Qatar Avios
Fortunately, since Qatar announced the adoption of Avios as its main program currency, there has not been a major devaluation. There are still some excellent value redemption options on Qatar metal from the U.S. This is especially true if you want to sample Qatar Airways's industry-leading Qsuite business class. Great redemption options include:
- U.S. to Doha for 70,000 Avios each way in Qsuite business class.
- U.S. to India for 80,000 Avios one-way in Qsuite business class.
- Or U.S. to the Maldives for 85,000 Avios in Qsuite business class.
- West Coast of the U.S. to Europe via Doha for 90,000 Avios one way in business class.
Qatar Airways Avios Expiration Policy
If a member doesn't have redemption activity or accrual on their account for 36 months, then their Avios will expire! According to Qatar Airways, the expiration policy of the Privilege Club is that expiration will happen three years from their last redemption activity or accrual. This policy was changed in 2020 and the miles used to have a fixed expiry date of three years. Miles would expire by the end of the half-year three years after you earned them, no matter the activity on your account.
Now, your Avios won't expire as long as you have qualifying activity on your account. In order to extend your points validity, there are a variety of ways you can earn and redeem Avios. Click here to see a list. Thankfully, you are able to transfer points from Marriott Bonvoy or Citi ThankYou to prevent your Qatar Avios from expiring!
In addition, you are also able to extend or reinstate your Qatar Avios for 12 more months. You can perform this extension online and it costs U.S. 1.5 cents per Avios. When you pay to have your miles reinstated, they are valid for 12 months from the original date of expiration. This also costs U.S. 1.5 cents per Avios. However, there is one exception to Qatar's Avios expiration policy. Platinum members will not see their balance expire as long as they are able to maintain their status. Due to this, the member must generate qualifying activity to retain this elite status.
This is by far one of the most complex promotions we have seen. The tiering and discount codes seem unduly complicated and unnecessary. Why Qatar could not have made it simple is a mystery. That being said, if you have some points to transfer and your travel plans dovetail with the promotion. Then this can be a lucrative deal that will save you a ton of Avios!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.