AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended
Aeroplan has announced their latest transfer bonus from hotel programs. Unlike the previous offer in March 2017, this offer is a little more generous offering a 35% bonus, compared to the 30% offered in March. The offer is relatively straightforward with few terms and conditions.
Key Terms and Conditions
- Promotion valid through August 21, 2017
- No registration is required
- Allow 4-6 weeks after the promotional offer end date for the miles to post to your Aeroplan account
You can transfer points from various hotel chains to Aeroplan. Hotel partners participating in the promotion are:
- Starwood Preferred Guest
- Marriott Rewards
- Hilton Honors
- Club Carlson
- Best Western
- Wyndham Rewards
- Coast Hotels
- Choice Hotels
- Le Club Accor Hotels
Unfortunately, not all hotel points were created equally, and each hotel has its own transfer ratio and a minimum transfer requirement. Points will transfer at the following base ratios:
- Starwood Preferred Guest – 1:1 ratio, minimum transfer determined by SPG status
- Marriott Rewards – 5:1 ratio, in blocks of 10,000 points for 2,000 miles
- Hilton Honors – 10:1ratio, in blocks of 10,000 points for 1,000 Aeroplan miles
- Club Carlson – 10:1 ratio, in increments of 2,000 or 50,000, or 100,000 points
- Best Western – 5:1 ratio, 5,000 point increments
- Wyndham Rewards – 5:1 ratio, initial minimum of 6,000 points for 1,200 miles
- Coast Hotels – 1:1 ratio, in increments of 1,000 points
- Choice Hotels – 5:1 ratio,5,000 point increments
- Le Club Accor Hotels – 2:1 ratio, in increments of 4,000 points for 2,000 miles
- Shangri-La – 1:1 ratio, with a minimum of 2,500 points, after that increments of 500 points apply
One thing to remember with SPG points is that they have their own built in transfer bonus, if you transfer 20,000 Starpoints, you will receive another 5,000-mile bonus. So transferring 20,000 Starpoints will yield 33,750 Aeroplan miles at a ratio of 1:1.6875.
Maximizing the Offer
To really maximize the value of the offer you can use a Marriott Hotel and Air package, which has Aeroplan as a partner. You can move your Starpoints to Marriott at a ratio of 1:3, so for example, 90,000 Starpoints would give you 270,000 Marriott Rewards.
|7 Nights + 50,000 Miles or Avios||7 Nights + 70,000 Miles or Avios||7 Nights + 100,000 Miles or Avios||7 Nights + 120,000 Miles or Avios|
Using 270,000 Marriott Points would give you 7 nights in a Category 1-5 hotel, plus 120,000 miles before the promotion. With the Aeroplan 35% bonus promotion, this would net you 7 nights plus 162,000 Aeroplan miles. If you were to skip this step and transfer your 90,000 Starpoints directly to Aeroplan, you would only get 148,500 miles. Clearly, moving the points to Marriott then booking a Hotel and Air package would give you more miles, but also a 7-night stay at category 1-5 Marriott property!
This is a great offer from Aeroplan, and it does not come as a surprise since they've had similar offers in the past. Once you have got your Aeroplan miles, there are some excellent sweet spots and options for redemption. One thing to watch out for when redeeming Aeroplan miles are fuel surcharges, although it is possible to avoid some dreaded fuel surcharges. Hopefully, the fact that Aeroplan increased the offer from 30% to 35% is a sign of good things to come, and the fact that they will be making these kinds of positive changes to their other regular offers.
Source: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.