AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the SimplyCash® Plus Business Credit Card from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
American Express recently announced a new addition to its business card lineup, unveiling the American Express® Blue Business Cash Card. Replacing the Amex SimplyCash Plus, the Blue Business Cash is essentially the cashback twin of The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, earning 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1% (Terms Apply). The card charges no annual fee (Rates & Fees) and includes a generous Intro APR on both purchases and balance transfers.
- Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
- From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That's why you've got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power§.
- Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, 14.74%, 17.74%, or 20.74%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%.
Earn 2% Cash Back on up to $50,000 per Year With No Annual Fee
The headline benefit of the Blue Business Cash is the ability to earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. The $50K spending cap is low by traditional business standards. But, considering the lack of an annual fee, an extra $1,000 cash back on expenses every year will be attractive to many small business owners.
For small companies that have diverse expenses, a great earning rate without having to worry about spending in the right category keeps things simple. Much like its Membership Rewards earning twin, the Blue Business Plus, you can move expenses to any card that beats the base 1% return after you reach the annual spending cap.
0% Intro APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers
The Blue Business Cash is a great low-cost method of financing major business purchases that are too large to pay down the full balance by the end of the month. New cardmembers get an intro APR of 0% on purchases for 12 months, plus an intro APR of 0% on balance transfers for 12 months. At the end of the intro purchase and balance transfer APR periods, cardholders are charged a variable APR of 14.74% - 20.74% (Rates & Fees). You must pay off the entire balance before your promotional APR ends to avoid paying interest on purchases.
Spend Above Your Credit Limit
Unique to American Express business cards is the capacity to spend above your credit limit without paying over-limit fees, plus you still collect cash back on the full amount spent, even the portion spent over your credit limit. The degree to which you can exceed your credit limit is determined by multiple factors, including your purchase, payment, and credit history. The total amount spent above your credit limit is due in full each month as part of your minimum payment.
Additional Card Benefits
The Blue Business Cash doesn’t come with the long list of benefits offered by some of its premium stablemates, but you do receive some basic business perks, plus travel and purchase protections which include:
- Access to the Amex Offers program
- Car rental loss and damage insurance (secondary)
- Extended warranty coverage
- Purchase protection (90 days)
Application Restrictions and Strategy
Without a traditional welcome bonus, would-be cardholders don’t need to worry about Amex’s application restrictions limiting approvals to folks who haven’t had the card in the past. However, you still need to be aware of other applicable rules for American Express cards:
- You can hold a maximum five American Express credit cards (doesn’t include charge cards).
- You will be approved for a maximum of two Amex credit cards in 90 days.
On a positive note, this card doesn’t increase your 5/24 count with Chase so you can add this card to your wallet without it affecting your ability to apply for Chase cards in the future.
Where do we see this card fitting in to your rewards strategy? If you are a small business owner interested primarily in cash back rewards, this card will make a great addition to your wallet. However, if your non-bonus business spending is higher than $50,000 per year, you’ll likely get more value from the Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business. While the card charges an annual fee of (Rates & Fees), the 2% cash back earned on this card is uncapped, plus you receive a $2,000 welcome bonus Earn a $500 cash bonus when you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months and earn $1,500 when you spend $50,000 in the first 6 months of your account opening.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to $2,000 in cash bonuses. Earn a $500 cash bonus when you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months and earn $1,500 when you spend $50,000 in the first 6 months of your account opening
- 2% cash back for your business on every purchase, everywhere
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro for first year; $95 after that
- 2 % Cash Back for your business on every purchase, everywhere.
While it’s not the most lucrative of Amex's roster of business rewards cards, the Blue Business Cash can play a stellar supporting role as part of a wider rewards strategy, or make a great cashback card for businesses with less than $50,000 in chargeable expenses each year. You pay no annual fee (Rates & Fees), get 2% back on every purchase up to the $50K spending cap, and receive a top intro APR on purchases and balance transfers.
If you prefer earning travel rewards over cashback, we still see the Blue Business Plus as the card to beat in this space, providing the best return on non-bonus expenses and earning transferable Membership Rewards points. While cash back clearly has the edge in simplicity, savvy points collectors can easily get a value of two cents or more when transferring Membership Rewards to partner programs, so the Blue Business Plus will be a better value for those who use rewards primarily for travel.
- Get rewarded for business as usual. Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners.
- 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
- Enjoy the flexibility to put more purchases on the Card and earn rewards when you buy above your credit limit*.
- You've got the power to use your Card beyond its credit limit* with Expanded Buying Power.
- More buying power for your business means more opportunities to earn points. That's everyday business with the Blue Business Plus Card.
- *The amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us, and other factors.
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, then a variable rate, 14.74%, 17.74% or 20.74%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- Terms Apply
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 2X Membership Rewards® points on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners. 2X applies to the first $50,000 in purchases per year, 1 point per dollar thereafter.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: American Express® Blue Business Cash Card (Rates & Fees), and The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.