AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Through December 12, 2016, you can earn up to a 30% bonus when you convert your hotel points into Aeroplan miles. Depending on how many points you convert, you can earn:
- 20% extra miles (for total conversions that end up being 2,500 to 99,999 miles)
- 25% extra miles (for total conversions that end up being 100,000 to 199,999 miles)
- 30% extra miles (for total conversions that end up being over 200,000 miles)
You can convert points from a wide range of hotel chains into Aeroplan miles. Eligible programs include (among many others) SPG, Marriott Rewards, Wyndham Rewards, and Hilton Honors.
While the offer expires on December 12, there are very few other restrictions. It isn’t limited in any way among its qualifying hotel partners, meaning you aren’t limited to converting only one kind of points, or limited to only one transfer, or anything along those lines. So convert as many points as you want from as many of the qualifying partner programs as you like! Even better, this promotion doesn’t give you a bonus percentage calculated by each conversion, but rather based on the total number of miles you earn through qualifying conversions.
For example, if you convert Marriott Rewards points, Hilton Honors points, and Wyndham Rewards points in quantities that earn you 50,000 Aeroplan miles for each of the three exchanges, you won’t receive a 20% bonus on each of the three 50,000-mile transactions. Instead, you’ll receive a 25% bonus on the total amount of 150,000 miles, because it’s in the next higher tier.
Sweet Spot: Marriott’s Hotel + Air Package
We’ve posted before about Marriott Rewards’ great sweet spot of its Hotel + Air Packages. This promotion makes that package an even sweeter deal — particularly if you have SPG points to spare.
Here’s an ideal scenario combining the Hotel + Air Package with the new promotion from Aeroplan:
- Transfer 90,000 SPG points to Marriott. With these transfers happening at a 1 to 3 ratio, you'll receive 270,000 Marriott Rewards points.
- Use your 270,000 Marriott Rewards points to book the Hotel + Air Package that gives you 7 nights at a Category 1-5 hotel and 120,000 miles.
- Choose Aeroplan as the mileage program into which you want to receive your miles. Because this is a transfer from hotel points, you will actually receive 150,000 Aeroplan miles (120,000 plus 25% because this falls into the 100,000 to 199,999-mile tier for Aeroplan’s promotion).
If you had instead transferred 90,000 SPG points to Aeroplan you would have received:
- 90,000 miles at the 1:1 transfer
- 20,000 additional miles (5,000 bonus miles for every 20,000 SPG points transferred)
- 27,500 additional miles (25% bonus off of 110,000 miles)
A total of 137,500 miles, which isn't bad, but by doing the Marriott Hotel + Air package you get 12,500 more miles AND 7 nights at a category 1-5 Marriott property
Of course, Marriott’s other Hotel + Air Packages are also options for this strategy; this is just the one that gets you the most nights and miles for the fewest points. Other options give you nights in higher category hotels, or fewer miles (though these are also eligible for the promotion).
The Marriott Hotel + Air Packages were already a great deal, and this just makes them even better. If you were on the fence about whether to book one,
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.