AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Express consistently deliver top business cards that are popular and offer great perks. The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN is no exception. The card offers luxury benefits for business travelers, and you can earn 100,000 bonus points with a new account.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees
Increased Ability to Earn Points
With the Business Platinum Card, you earn 5x Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels when you book through the American Express Travel website. You'll receive one point for every dollar spent on any other purchase category.
If you're a big spender, purchases of $5,000 or more earn a 50% bonus, providing an effective earn rate of 1.5 Membership Rewards per dollar spent on these larger transactions. You receive a 50% bonus on $5,000+ purchases for the first $2,000,000 spent each calendar year, which will net an additional 1,000,000 Membership Rewards.
The only drawbacks commonly cited with the Business Platinum Card are the high annual fee of $450, which is not waived for the first year, and the lack of business categories for non-travel business spend. Other than that, the card is considered to be a great travel rewards card.
Excellent Travel Perks
First, you get an airline credit of up to $200 per year for incidental purchases made on the airline of your choice. This includes meals, movies, upgrades, internet service, and more. Some have even reported that you can even use the airline credit to buy gift cards from your designated airline. If you are a frequent traveler, this accounts for nearly half of your annual fee, right off the bat.
You'll also receive complimentary elite status in seven different loyalty programs including Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest, and Marriott Rewards.
As a cardholder, you have access to over 1,000 different airport lounges worldwide, allowing you to relax far more comfortably while you wait for your flight. This includes a full Priority Pass Select membership, and access to American Express Centurion Lounges, considered the best lounges in the US by most travelers due to the high-quality food and wine on offer, and even complimentary massages in some locations.
Another great perk offered by the Business Platinum Card card is an application credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓, once every five years, which has a value of either $100 or $85 and will add up over time if you take advantage of this perk.
Redeeming Membership Rewards
The Business Platinum Card works best when you use your points for travel rewards, either through the Membership Rewards portal or by transferring to travel partners. You can redeem for other rewards, including gift cards, statement credit, Amazon.com, and Uber purchases, but you get the best value using the points for travel.
You can transfer Membership Rewards points to Delta, British Airways, Singapore, Virgin Atlantic, Alitalia, Cathay Asia Miles, Etihad, Aeroplan, and many more. The hotel transfer partners are Hilton, Choice, and SPG.
The Business Platinum Card also gives you a 35% points rebate when you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and all First and Business class flights available through American Express Travel. The limit to this benefit is 500,000 points per year.
And remember, if you ever need a hand with an award booking, take a look at AwardWallet's award booking service.
If you are a frequent business traveler, then The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN may be perfect for you. If you've got big business expenses, this card has great perks that will deliver value far more than its annual fee.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.