AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Hertz is offering the opportunity to purchase various points packages with this year’s Daily Getaways. You can buy enough points for a one-week standard rental, a weekend Prestige Collection rental, or a one-week Prestige Collection rental. The promotion goes live on May 29, 2019 at 1 p.m. ET.
Recent Hertz Devaluation
Yesterday, we published a story covering Hertz's recent devaluation with no announcement or prior notice to members. Although the recent price changes should absolutely give you a reason to reconsider whether you trust Hertz to maintain the currently published pricing, it's worth noting that the value of this deal was not altered in any way by the devaluation.
When Daily Getaways first published this promotion (a few weeks ago), the number of points for each package reflected the old Hertz award pricing. For example, the weekend Prestige Collection package was listed as 13,200 points for $560. When Hertz raised award prices unexpectedly, Daily Getaways updated the deal to offer 20,000 points at the same $560 price point.
The following terms apply to all the three deals:
- The promotion starts on May 29, 2019, 1:00 p.m. ET.
- You can choose to purchase enough points for a one-week standard rental, weekend Prestige Collection, one-week Prestige Collection.
- You can purchase one points package for each promotion.
- There are no blackout dates for making a booking with the promotional points.
- The car must be returned to its original rental location.
- The packages are only redeemable at select Hertz locations in the U.S. and Canada.
- Large SUVs are excluded from all three packages
One Week Standard Rental Package
- Direct link to deal.
- Purchase 7,500 points (enough for one week’s standard rental) for $280.
- You can purchase one (1) one-week standard rental points package.
- There are 45 packages available for purchase.
Weekend Prestige Collection Package
- Direct link to deal
- Purchase 20,000 Hertz points for $560.
- You can purchase one (1) weekend Prestige Collection points package.
- There are 35 packages available for purchase.
- A weekend rental can be up to four days beginning no earlier than noon Thursday and ending no later than Monday
One Week Prestige Collection Package
- Direct link to deal.
- Purchase 25,000 Hertz points for $698.
- You can purchase one (1) one-week Prestige Collection points package.
- There are 50 packages available for purchase.
Better Than Advertised?
When we investigated the claim that there were no blackout dates for bookings with promotional points, discovered something interesting: It might be possible to get double the advertised benefit with these packages.
Like many loyalty programs, Hertz charges fewer points for awards with restricted availability (i.e. blackout dates) and more points for awards with the same availability as you'd find when paying for a rental with cash. Hertz calls these rewards Standard Rewards and AnyDay Rewards respectively.
The number of points being offered with this sale seems to be aligned with the requirement for AnyDay Rewards, which is double the number of points required for Standard Rewards. In other words, if you rent when Standard Rewards are available, the point packages on offer could be stretched into two separate rentals.
The terms and conditions make absolutely no mention of this discrepancy, so your mileage may vary.
In light of the recent devaluation, we’d love to tell you to give Hertz the cold shoulder, but this deal has big potential for folks who rent frequently. Since Daily Getaways is effectively selling points rather than coupons for specific rental packages, it seems that you could use the points from any of the three packages to pay for any of the rental options on the Hertz award chart. This isn't stated in the Terms & Conditions, but it seems like a pretty safe bet to us.
If you're buying with a specific rental in mind, make sure to check cash prices to make sure buying points will actually save you money. With extremely limited quantities available, this deal is likely to sell out within minutes if not seconds. If you plan to take advantage, you’ll want to have your finger hovering over the refresh button at 12:59 p.m. ET.
Source: Daily Getaways
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.