AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Marriot Bonvoy and Cathay Pacific Asia Miles launched two-way point conversions. From now you can transfer your Marriott points to Asia Miles and your Asia Miles to Marriot Bonvoy points. Transfers occur at a ratio of 3:1 and 2:1, respectively.
How the Conversion Works
Marriott Bonvoy to Asia Miles
On the Marriott side, it works like virtually every other partner Marriott has. You transfer Marriott Bonvoy points to Asia mile at a ratio of 3:1. Also, at this point in time, you can receive the built-in Marriott Bonus when you transfer 60,000 points.
When you transfer 60,000 Marriot Bonvoy points to most airlines, you receive an additional 5,000-mile bonus in addition to the 20,000 you receive for the 3:1 transfer ratio. That's a total of 25,000 miles for every 60,000 Bonvoy points converted.
Keep in mind that we have no idea how long this bonus will remain. Recently, Marriott ended this bonus when you transfer points to Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage miles, Avianca LifeMiles, and Korean SKYPASS.
Asia Miles to Marriott Bonvoy points
Asia Miles convert to Marriot Bonvoy points at a ratio of 2:1 with a minimum transfer of 2,000 miles. Transfers are in increments of 500 miles, and you can transfer a maximum of 240,000 Asia Miles per day.
One thing to keep in mind is that it is not clear how long transfers from Asia Miles to Marriott will take. Currently, Marriott Bonvoy points transfer to Cathay Asia Miles in 1 day. However, it is unclear if the reverse will be true or with the transfers be faster or slower.
Should you convert Asia Miles To Marriott?
The simple answer is no! Unless you need a handful of points, a few thousand (less than 10,000) for a stunning Marriott award redemption, and have no other options.
On one hand, AwardWallet members have been able to leverage their Asia miles for 3.91 cents per mile on average (in some cases, it can be even higher). On the other hand, AwardWallet members have only been able to leverage their Marriott Bonvoy points for an average of 1 cent per point.
Keeping in mind a transfer ratio of 2:1, it means for every 1 Marriott point you receive (worth 1 cent), you are paying with 2 Asia miles (worth an average of 7.82 cents). Therefore transferring your Asia miles loses you significant value for every Marriott point you gain.
Other Options for Generating Marriott Bonvoy Points
There are much better ways to get Marriott Bonvoy points than transferring Asia Miles. You can transfer points to Marriott from:
- American Express Membership Rewards at a 1:1 transfer ratio
- Chase Ultimate Rewards at a 1:1 transfer ratio — plus a 40% transfer bonus now through December 20
- United miles at a 1:1 transfer ratio — but only for United MileagePlus elites
You can also earn a bunch of Marriott Bonvoy points by signing up for one of the many Marriott Bonvoy credit cards. Plus, you'll get Marriott Bonvoy elite status to boot.
- Earn 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy® bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 3 months.
- Each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide.
- A Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite member will earn 50% more points on eligible purchases at participating hotels for each U.S. dollar or the currency equivalent that is incurred and paid for by the member.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. 3 points at Worldwide Restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Marriott Brilliant Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Each calendar year after spending $60,000 on eligible purchases, Card Members are eligible to select an Earned Choice Award benefit. Benefit options include: Five (5) Suite Night Awards, 85K Free Night Award, and mattress and box spring $750 discount from Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques.
- $100 Luxury Property Credit: Enjoy your stay. Receive up to a $100 property credit for qualifying charges at The Ritz-Carlton® or St. Regis® when you book direct using a special rate for a two-night minimum stay using your Card.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®: Receive either a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or a statement credit every 4.5 years after you apply for a five-year membership through any Authorized Enrollment Provider for TSA PreCheck® (up to $85) when you pay the application fee with an eligible Card. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Each calendar year you can receive 25 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status. Limitations apply per Marriott Bonvoy member account. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.
- Enroll in Priority Pass Select, which offers unlimited access to over 1,200 lounges in over 130 countries, regardless of which carrier or class you are flying. This allows you to relax before or between flights. You can enjoy snacks, drinks, and internet access in a quiet, comfortable location.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Cell phone protection: You can be reimbursed for your costs to repair or replace your damaged or Stolen cell phone up to $800, subject to a $50 deductible, for 2 approved claims per 12-month period when your prior month's wireless bill was paid utilizing an Eligible Card Account. Terms and conditions apply. Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
- $650 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6X points on purchases at Marriott Properties
- 3X points at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines
- 2X points on all other eligible purchases
On the one hand, the transfer ratios are not great, and in almost every case, you would pass on transferring your Asia Miles to Marriott points. On the other hand, more options are always better, and you can never have too few options and opportunities to leverage your points and miles for different awards. This new partnership is welcome news and strengthens the Asia Miles program. However, it's not that useful to most travelers.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.