AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
While Starwood Preferred Guest Starpoints sales come around fairly regularly, they are usually in the realm of 25%. In the past, sales of 35% off have been met with excitement. Now, Starwood has outdone itself: you can buy miles for up to 50% off for the rest of the year! For those lucky enough to score the largest discount amount, this brings the cost per point down from the usual 3.5 cents to a delightfully low 1.75 cents.
This is a particularly good deal because Starwood Preferred Guest points are incredibly flexible compared to many other types of points. You can use them for hotels, but also transfer them to many airlines at a 1:1 or better ratio. Before you get too excited, keep in mind that this offer is for purchasing Starpoints at up to 50% off, not a guaranteed 50% off. You won’t know what discount amount you’re eligible for until you begin going through the steps to buy SPG points.
If you're excited by the idea of buying these points for 25-50% off the usual price, but not sure what to do with them? No problem! Take a look at the Ten Best Ways to Redeem 40,000 Starpoints in our post from a few months ago. (You can skip the part at the top about a previous promotion; the ideas are below that.)
How to Redeem This Offer:
- Join the Starwood Preferred Guest program if you aren’t already a member. If you need to join, you will then need to wait two weeks before actually purchasing your points; accounts less than 14 days old are not eligible for this promotion (but you can still see your discount amount).
- Go to SPG’s page to buy points and follow the prompts there.
- Sign in when prompted. Your promotional discount amount will be displayed clearly in red.
- Select the number of Starpoints you want to buy from the drop-down menu (which will show you both the discounted and original prices), and follow the prompts to pay for and receive your discounted Starpoints!
What’s the Catch?
- You are only allowed to receive 30,000 Starwood Preferred Guest points in your account per year through purchases or gifts. If you’ve already bought 30,000 points this year — or even had them gifted to you — you are ineligible for this promotion.
- You need to buy at least 5,000 SPG points to qualify for this promotion, so it may not be ideal if you were looking to top off your account by purchasing the minimum of 500 points, for example.
- Because the promotion is targeted, you may not receive points for 50% off. The lowest we’ve heard of in this promotion is 25%, so you may need to pay 2.625 cents per point instead of the 1.75 cents that a 50% discount would give. (If you receive a discount of less than 25% in this promotion, let us know in the comments.)
- The promotion is valid through December 31, 2016, so don’t wait until next year to try to buy points at this price.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.