AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
For almost two years it has been possible to earn SPG points when taking an Uber. It has just been announced that the agreement on how you earn points will be changed starting February 1, 2017. Not only are there changes to the general terms of the agreement. At the same time, SPG is launching a promo with Uber for the month of February where you can earn more points.
SPG / Uber Terms as of February 1, 2017
The full (current and upcoming) terms and conditions can be found on the SPG website. The key terms are as follows:
- To benefit from the SPG & Uber partnership, you must register at spg.com/uber; it takes 24 hours for the registration to be complete. If you're already registered, you don't need to do anything.
- You must have one qualifying stay at an SPG property before you can start earning points.
- When you are not staying at an SPG property, you will earn 1 Starpoint for every $2 spent on Uber (Before February 1, 2017, you earn at a 1:1 ratio).
- When you are staying at an SPG property, you will earn 2 Starpoints for every dollar spent with Uber. Gold and Platinum members will no longer receive additional points as a part of their elite status.
- Earned Starpoints will post to your account within 2 to 4 weeks from taking a qualifying ride.
- You can only earn points on a maximum $10,000 of Uber spending in one calendar year.
February 2017 Promotion
During February 2017, you can earn additional bonus Starpoints on your Uber spending. The key terms of the promotion are as follows:
- The promotion runs from 12:00 AM February 1, to 11:59 PM February 28, 2017, local time.
- Bonus points are earned on rides that are taken during eligible stays only. When you are not staying at an SPG property, you will earn at the 1 point per $2 spent.
- When staying at an SPG property, you'll earn three additional Starpoints for a total of 5 Starpoints per dollar spent on rides with Uber.
It is sad when earnings get cut in any program. However, although the cost of earning Starpoints has doubled for regular usage, it has remained the same on earnings during stays at SPG properties. As an additional perk, the increased earning potential in February is a nice bonus to soften the blow of the doubling of the cost of earning. You likely weren't earning enough to have a significant impact on your SPG balance, but every point does count — now you'll be earning a bit less.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.