AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for The Platinum Card® from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Amex Membership Rewards is running a targeted 50% transfer bonus for cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express. For transfers made between October 17 and November 17, 2016, Amex Platinum members can earn a 50% bonus on transferred Membership Rewards points to Starwood Preferred Guest.
As one of the more painless and cost effective ways of adding points to a loyalty program you don't actively participate in, points transfers offer an easy way of topping off an account balance with another program when trying to reach a specific redemption.
With over 20 transfer partners, Amex Membership Rewards is one of the best flexible rewards currencies available, regularly running promotions offering bonuses on points transfers to travel partners.
- Amex Platinum cardholders can earn a 50% bonus when transferring MR points to SPG
- Promotion is targeted, you will need to log into your Amex account to check eligibility
- Valid for transfers made between October 17 and November 17, 2016.
- Minimum transfer amount is 1,000 points
As this is a targeted offer, you will need to log into your Amex account and click through to SPG transfers to determine if you’ve been targeted.
Should You Transfer Membership Rewards to SPG with a 50% Bonus?
Membership Rewards typically transfer to Starpoints at a rate of 1,000 Membership Rewards to 333 Starpoints, or 3:1, which is not an ideal use of Membership Rewards. Taking advantage of the current transfer bonus would increase the transfer rate to 2:1, so for every 1,000 Membership Rewards points transferred you would receive 500 SPG points, while not a huge improvement, it is certainly better than the original transfer ratio.
When should you transfer Amex points to SPG?
When you crunch the numbers, all other things equal, 2 Membership Rewards points are worth more than one Starpoint. However, there are a few circumstances that come to mind that offer value if you take advantage of the current transfer bonus.
- Taking advantage of SPG Moments to gain access to activities that you otherwise wouldn’t have the means or opportunity to experience.
- Transferring points to SPG at 2:1 and transferring the SPG points to Marriott at 1:3. This gives you access to Marriott’s high value 7 Night Air + Hotel packages, which also opens up another stackable promo running through to November 30, 2016, offering 25% bonus on points transfers to United MileagePlus. For 180,000 MR points, you could redeem 7 nights at a Marriott 1-5 property + 152,000 United miles. This promo has expired.
As with all points transfers bonuses, it pays to run the math before committing to any transfers as they are typically final and non-refundable. While a 50% bonus is the highest transfer bonus Amex offers to SPG (we’ve seen the same 50% transfer bonus the last two years in October), that doesn’t necessarily mean it is a good deal, and you will need to hunt out decent value to make it worth your while.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.