AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Every month, Flying Blue, the frequent flyer program for Air France and KLM, offers some specific routes at discounted rates for award redemption. Sometimes the discounts apply to economy class redemptions, sometimes for business class, and occasionally to both.
The booking window is typically up to three months ahead of the eligible travel period. Bookings must be completed by the end of the corresponding month (e.g. August 2016 Promo Award bookings must be made by August 31, 2016).
The Promo Awards for August 2016 have been announced and, while last month's Promo Awards we better overall, there are still some excellent options available. Award routes between North America and Europe which are eligible for Promo Awards this month are:
- Montreal – Europe: 25% discount in economy / business class for travel between November 1 – 30, 2016 (KLM)
- Edmonton – Europe: 25% discount in business class for travel between November 1 – 30, 2016 (KLM)
- Vancouver – Europe: 50% discount in business class for travel between November 1 – 30, 2016 (Air France)
- San Francisco – Europe: 25% discount in economy class for travel between November 1 – 30, 2016 (Air France)
- Boston – Europe: 25% discount in economy class for travel between October 1 and November 30, 2016 (Air France)
- Houston – Europe: 25% discount in economy class for travel between October 1 and November 30, 2016 (KLM)
- Houston – Europe: 25% discount in economy class for travel between November 1 – 30, 2016 (Air France)
All bookings must be made by August 31, 2016, for the Promo Awards discounts to apply.
The rate for one-way economy class awards with a 25% discount has been lowered from 25,000 miles to 18,750 miles, while the rate for one-way business class awards with a 25% discount has been lowered from 62,500 miles to 46,875 miles.
If you can book a roundtrip Promo Award route this month on these routes, you could be flying to Europe for under 40,000 miles in economy class and under 100,000 miles in business class, both of which represent a great value with your miles.
Biggest Discount for August 2016 Promo Awards
In the case of business class awards between Vancouver and Europe, for which the there is a 50% discount, the awards rate has been lowered from 62,500 to 31,750 miles one-way. That means you could fly round-trip between Vancouver and France for only 62,500! That is an extraordinary rate for business class travel between the West Coast and Europe.
Other routes are eligible as well — Full list of August 2016 Flying Blue Promo Awards.
Things To Keep In Mind with Flying Blue Promo Awards
- Reservations must be made exclusively at AirFrance.com or KLM.com; phone bookings are not eligible.
- Promo Awards cannot be modified, canceled or refunded.
- Promo Awards are available for one-way tickets and roundtrips.
- Flights must be operated by Air France or KLM.
- Standard carrier-imposed surcharges are imposed on these awards, although they are not as excessive as those imposed by other airlines, such as British Airways.
Flying Blue Miles Transfer Partners
If you are short a few miles, Flying Blue has a well-developed partnership with all four major transferable point programs. You can transfer points from American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Points, and Marriott Rewards.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.