AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Chase Freedom® are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
U.S. Bank bonus earning categories for the U.S. Bank Cash+® Visa Signature® Card are currently open for enrollment for October to December 2023. What makes the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa unique in comparison to similar cards? You get to choose the bonus categories!
Unlike other cards featuring rotating bonus categories assigned by the card issuer, the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa lets you choose two categories to earn 5% cash back and one category to earn 2% cash back. This flexibility can make the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa a valuable rewards card as part of a larger earning strategy.
Keep in mind that your selection doesn't take effect for three business days until after you make the selection. You'll want to enroll as soon as possible.
- Earn a $200 bonus after spending $1,000 in eligible net purchases within the first 120 days of account opening.
- 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in eligible net purchases each quarter on the two categories you choose, 5% cash back on prepaid air, hotel and car reservations booked directly in the Rewards Travel Center, 2% cash back on one everyday category (like gas or groceries), 1% cash back on all other eligible net purchases
- No annual fee
- 5% cash back on your first $2,000 in eligible net purchases each quarter on the two categories you choose
- 5% cash back on prepaid air, hotel and car reservations booked directly in the Rewards Travel Center
- 2% cash back on one everyday category (like gas or groceries)
- 1% cash back on all other eligible net purchases
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa 5% Bonus Categories
Each quarter, you must select your 5% bonuses from a list of 12 U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa categories. You can choose two categories in which you will earn 5% back on the first $2,000 of combined spending across both selected categories.
- TV, internet & streaming services
- Fast food
- Cell phone providers
- Department stores
- Home utilities
- Select clothing stores
- Electronics stores
- Sporting goods stores
- Movie theaters
- Gyms/fitness centers
- Furniture stores
- Ground transportation
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa 2% Bonus Categories
Choose one of the following categories to earn unlimited 2% cash back:
- Gas & EV charging stations
- Grocery stores
How the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Bonus Categories Work
Rather than the card issuer assigning bonus categories, you can choose your 5% and 2% bonuses each quarter from a list of options. It works like this:
- Select two categories to earn 5% cash back, capped on the first $2,000 of combined eligible purchases. After that, you will earn 1% back.
- Select one category to earn 2% cash back (no earning limit).
- Earn 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Do I need to choose my bonus categories each quarter?
Yes, you need to choose your bonus categories before you can begin earning additional rewards. You can select your bonus categories beginning 45 days before the start of the upcoming quarter. If you forget to select your categories, you have until five days before the end of the current quarter to make your selection. However, you won't start earning bonus cash back until three business days after you choose your preferred categories.
How do I choose my bonus categories?
There are two ways to register the bonus categories on your U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa:
- Online: Register online at usbank.com/cashplus.
- Phone: Call the U.S. Bank Cardmember Services phone number printed on the back of your credit card and make your selection over the phone.
The key to maximizing the value of the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa is choosing bonus categories based on the other credit cards you have in your wallet. You can integrate the 5% and 2% categories into a broader plan to maximize your earnings across the board. The best option would be selecting categories where 1) you will spend some money that quarter but 2) don't have another card offering good earning rates.
If you already hold other rewards cards featuring rotating bonus categories, such as the Citi® Dividend Card or Chase Freedom®, you can wait until the bonus categories are released for those cards. Then, you can activate them and choose different bonus categories for your U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa.
For Q4 in 2023, Citi's category is grocery stores. Chase's categories include wholesale clubs, PayPal, and select charities. Unless you will have significant spending (past the applicable limits) in those categories, it makes sense to choose different categories via U.S. Bank. This way, you can earn 5% cash back in a broader range of categories to help you maximize your points earnings.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.